bad times, need advice on my VR4.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
Hey everyone. Saturday night my girlfriend slid my legnum into a kerb with great force after we'd had an argument and there is major damage. Front bar needs replacement, wheel on drivers side is pushed into the car which has completely rooted the suspension and there is probably a lot more issues that are yet to be uncovered. Being a p-plater, i had no comp insurance on the car and the crash repairer i have had it towed to are saying it could be anything up to 6k to fix, although i dont have a fixed quote just yet. So i have a few questions. Firstly, am i better off just sourcing another front bar myself? They want to send the existing bar to a workshop and have another one made up. I'm happy to have a stock front bar or something else but i really have no clue on prices. My next question is about my wheels. The one that was hit in the accident is stuffed but the rest are fine. The are Work emotion KR's. Is it in any way possible to buy just one wheel or am i going to have to start looking at getting a whole new set? I'm going to do whatever it takes to get the car back on the road but i need advice on whats going to be best and save me $$$ as i'm a student living out of home only working part time and am going to have a hard time sourcing cash...just spent close to 2k on a major service and tune! Cheers,
Justin.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
help

justin i recently done something very similar to my car though i didnt damage anything in the suspension,i hit dead in the front of the car,and it bent my bonnet,upper and lower radiator support and even bent my chassis rails.this therefore destroyed my radiator and intercooler and bent all the piping.front bar was demolished.what i done was sourced a nose cut from NZ and then when it arrived sent it all into a panel shop and they cut off the old and bent supports,straightened the chassis and rewelded the upper and lower radiator supports.then they sprayed the new facelift bonnet and front bar.
my car has been off the road since the 25th of january but is now sitting in my garage waiting for the final parts.ie
engine mount which was bent that arrived today.
a radiator as the one that came form nz was for a non turbo leggy
and a single rim,so yes it is possible to buy just one rim

heres the painfull part...

im now $7000 more in debt,and im in the same boat as you

if i was you,i wouldnt get anything big from NZ as i was jipped bad and ended up paying more for shipping and customs than i did for the parts.

id get a workshop to look at it and write a list of all the parts that need to be replaced,then come on here and show everyone the list and everyone can help.though i beleive you may be able to get all the parts you need from techsport in melbourne as they are wrecking a legnum,(thats where i got my mount from)there number is 02 9720 9300.though its a facelift,but will still all fit onto your car

or another option is there is a silver prefaclift legnum for sale in brisbane for $4000 just for parts,not sure where its listed anymore.if it is the same color as your car this will save you well over a grand in painting and you can also sell the parts left over to make money to pay for it all.i was so angry when i could have payed $400 more for this car than my little nose cut

hope this helps,i know how bad it is to be in your situation.but the fact is,our cars suck when it comes to trying to find parts,as i need a radiator so bad and cant find one

james

G

Unregistered
Hey Justin...

Sad story man sorry to hear... now ill be honest... im not a guru... some of the clubvr4 boys will be able to help you a bit when they get to this but... the front bar... i know of good quality crafters here e.g freddy at topstage that can do a front bar for a legnum for pretty decent price... round $500.. he has a thread in here... the damage to your suspension will be the bit*h in the process... that im afraid im not too sure on... may have to bite the bullet and the wheels... u may be lucky enough to just pick up a pair dude... theyre sold on every forum from here to god knows where so you should be alright there...

Now if the insurance company isnt dictating who can fix it for you... make sure you get it to a decent import shop... im not too sure who u have over there but ask the s.a boys in the state threads too and they should be able to give you some more definitive direction... sounds like a fair knock though and... may just have to piece it back together...

good luck with it all and keep us posted!!

G

Unregistered
ha techsport melbourne is where i got my legnum from!!!! its mrs techsports!

most definitely give them a call they handle a lot over here...

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
if the rims are still being made you'll be able to get just one,thats what i was told,but i had to find a different brand that stocked an identical rim.

insurance wont be an issue,as he was smart like me and didnt have full comp.so the car will go where justin wants it to

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Shit, sorry to hear justin!

you can probably order one of the rims brand new but doubt you'll find someone wanting to only sell 1 privately :(

It ll be hard to find a half cut with an intact front bar i think, most of the ones i have seen are usually damaged. If its only suspension damaged, you might just be able to replace those parts, that would be nice - but if theres structural damage (sounds like there might be) it gets expensive.

depending on what parts you need, theres a half cut at justjap in holden hill, although i have taken the hub carriers from it (now on JBs car). Or else the full parts car in Bris might be an attractive option - take the parts you need, part out the rest and maybe cover a fair chunk of the repair cost? If you do consider the parts car, let me know, i could be interested in doing a deal with you ;)

How much of this is the GF (ex gf?) paying for??

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Hmmm well these are some interesting points and advice to take in, cheers guys. I really cant do much until i hear back from the workshop as to how much damage there actually is and what parts i need, although i dont think it as bad as your incident james. Suspension is going to be the bitch...tein coilovers dont come cheap i imagine. There isnt a whole lot of panel damage but yeah we'll just have to wait and see what disasters lie behind that smashed in wheel! From what i can hear when i started the car at the very least the exhaust piping has been damaged but i'm really no expert. Trying to get money out of her is like getting blood out of a stone this is going to be all out of my pocket. Oh and we're on a "break" now haha.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
good to see your priorites are right,haha,well it seems you have a few choices,let us all know how it goes when you find out what is broken

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
If she deliberately slid your car into a kerb with you guys in it she is one crazy b**ch!...but i probably don't have to tell you and I guess it's lucky you guys weren't hurt.
Good luck with sourcing parts mate, there are more and more VR-4's coming into Oz all the time so hopefully you can source some parts locally.

G

Unregistered
usually,

its the lower controll arms that give way, and sometimes the hub carrier (not as likely)
easy enough to replace/source.

worst case, (not likely but possible) you could have bent the front sub frame, in which case it will need to be replaced.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Dump her ass and then sue the bitch for intentional damage. What a joke, wrecking someone's car for the sake of an argument!

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Note to self, angry women do not drive well.

Good luck with it mate. Sorry to hear it happened so shittly.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
What an aweful tale. I'm glad no-one was injured.

Now a lecture..
a; This is another example of why in-experienced drivers should not be in high-performance vehicles.
b; Insurance is important.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Dump her ass and then sue the bitch for intentional damage. What a joke, wrecking someone's car for the sake of an argument!
I'm with Steve mate, even if it was just 'one of those things' you can't expect to wreck someone's car and walk away scott free. At the absolute LEAST she should be paying for half of it, but personally I'd make her pay the lot. Your call mate, none of us know the details of your situation. But regardless of whatever else is going on in your lives, if she did the damage she should damn sure be paying for it :banghead:

If you try to go down this path and she just wants to be difficult over the whole thing, give her the option of signing a contract that you write up for whatever you're happy with and if she doesn't take you up on it, let her know in no uncertain terms that you will get a lawyer involved which will cost her a couple of grand more and you'll get a court injunction against her assets if necessary. That should help her to see sense ;)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
OK, a mate did almost identical damage to his TX3 last year, and fixed it all up for a few hundred. Sort out the suspension stuff first. It should just be a matter of unbolting the broken components and bolting in replacements. If you have any mechanical ability you should be able to do this stuff yourself.

If the suspension is easy and cheap enough to fix, then look at the bodywork. The reason I say this is the bodywork is the easier bit and there's no point getting it all nice and shiny and then working out the suspension is going to cost you $5k. Call around wreckers and see if you can get a replacement bumper. If not, go aftermarket like someone else said. Or maybe one of the nice members on here who have gone to an aftermarket bumper could sell you their old one. Even getting a lightly damaged one and having it plastic welded could be a good option.

Basically, never accept a panel beater's quote.

And also never speak to women. Their brains don't work right.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Did she take it without you knowing? If so then she stole it, so you could report it to the police.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
nah she didnt do it deliberately, it had just started raining she took the turn too hard and didnt know what to do when the car started sliding (i was in the car with her). I'm not going into my personal life too deeply on the forums, but i blame myself for letting her drive in this situation, we were both very angry and it was late at night. My concern isnt what happened its how i'm going to fix it and that doesnt involve her. Going to put some pics up of the damage in a sec for you all to check out. Andy, i dont need lectures right now mate.When i looked at comp it was 2k+ with a stupid excess as well so i'm still have no regrets not getting it. Just shit that this has happened.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Oh and Tim thats exactly what i'm doing waiting to hear what damage is done to the suspension and (possibly) structure before i decide what work is going to be done.

Top Bottom