Battery Problems

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Hence why i now have a gell cell deep cycle battery :) They are designed to be 'cycled' all the time ;)

G

Unregistered
Well too the battery to SuperCheap this morning to get it tested and the guy said its stuffed. So rang Marshalls Batterys up as they put the other one in and after a few words to the techo and his manager over the phone they replaced my crap small one, redid the terminals and put in a nice big F#$ker. Everything is running fine now <cross fingers>. So lock ur daughters up as I'm back on the road !!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Great to hear Paul, nice one!

Hence why i now have a gell cell deep cycle battery :) They are designed to be 'cycled' all the time ;)
Actually, that's a slight misconception. Gell cells are somewhat more resistent to sulfation, but they're definitely not immune. The electrode elements have a greater surface area in a gell cell, which means greater current capacity as well as increased sulfation resistence. However you CAN still cause sulfation with these, and it can actually be a hell of a lot WORSE than with a standard lead-acid battery.

In a gell cell, the battery recombines the hydrogen and oxygen given off by the chemical processes involved. However extreme discharging or overcharging can cause the formation of bubbles in the cell in addition to hardened sulfate coating of the electrodes. Once you develop bubbles along the electrode in a gell-cell they're extremely difficult to get out - the gell material actually hardens, reducing capacitive ability of the cell and reducing the battery's ability to eliminate the sulfation process through recharging.

The primary selling point of sealed gell cell batteries is their sealed nature - they require no maintenance and won't leak everywhere, as they don't contain a liquid acid solution. This makes them ideal for rugged environments such as marine or extreme offroad applications. But a magical battery that won't mind bad treatment they are not.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
They're a steel-jacketed, mil-spec dry-cell for aeronautic & demanding conditions. The price on that site is rediculous, though - that model should be half that price.

If anyone wants to go to an Odyssey extreme performance battery, the PC1200MJT is the one you want (unless you want to go the exotic dual-battery route like Brad, but I don't recommend it ;)). These have MASSIVE power, are specifically designed to be safely mounted in passenger compartments as they are completely sealed and will handle abuse far better than just about anything out there. You can pick them up from a couple of Australian online retailers for around $450, plus shipping. These are THE high-performance battery benchmark. Highly recommended.

Here's the specs on the recommended battery for our cars (from Mitsubishi Service Bulletin MSB-98E54-501):

Battery Type: 75D23L
Capacity (5HR) Ah: 52
Reserve Capacity Min: 118
CCA (at -18°C): 520

So according to Mitsubishi, you should have a sealed lead-acid (SLA) battery with at LEAST 520 CCAs (cold cranking amps).

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hmm, I had an idea that I'd seen the dimensions of the battery compartment somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone tell me where I might have seen it? Or if not, at least let me know the dimensions (LxWxH) of the compartment? Thanks! :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I got mine for about $260 each, they are really good batteries from what I hear, but the unit I have that handles charging them independantly draws a bit of power when the car is just sitting there unused and will make the batteries go flat, so I need to get it rewired or something at some stage.

G

Unregistered
It might be a bit late to jump in but Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle battery would probably be the best for us, Odyssey's look good and probably don't weigh as much but i don't think they are deep Cycle.
D51R Fits good and is 450CCA from a 5" wide battery. Still need to upgrade the terminals.

G

Unregistered
I have a D31 Yellowtop and it fits perfectly. Need to change the terminals, tho.

Leigh

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Odyssey's are most definitely a deep-cycle battery - one of the best. But you get what you pay for ;)

Gooch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bob
Drive
J-Spec Vr-4 1990, 2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Batteries

I heard the Odysseys are not that good,

Regular problems with them google Odyssey batteries to have a look at some of the forums that talk about them.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've got two small ones in my car and they are nice and light, but discharge after two weeks to the point where I can't start the car. So when I park up I just disconnect them, I typically only drive my car once every 2-3 weeks anyway.

G

Unregistered
odyssey batteries are crap, whoever was fed the info that odyssey are the benchmark was talking shit.
optima yellow tops are the benchmark

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
As I have since discovered, hence why I own one ;) Odyssey's DO have a good name and they're a strong brand - whether that's deserved or not is a different story, but I've spoken to a few people in the industry who swear by them who have no reason to BS... Although with the caveat that they are far more suitable for certain applications than others, and they don't have a terrific lifespan.

Although remember Optima batteries aren't gell-cell, they're still SLA's. Either way, I love mine - highly recommended
icon14.gif

G

Unregistered
i dont want to turn this thread into a fight but the thing you have to remember is that a car audio place that sells odyssey will recommend odyssey a car audio place that sells optima will recommend them, its the way it works.

But as gooch said all over the net they have had a bad rep.

Personally im going to try the new exide orbital

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
the thing you have to remember is that a car audio place that sells odyssey will recommend odyssey a car audio place that sells optima will recommend them
Really? Nooo! Wow, thanks Bill, I can't believe I've been so naive all these years!

When I said "people in the industry who swear by them who have no reason to BS" I meant people in the battery industry and some people I know with industrial uses for batteries, neither of which is selling either brand or has any vested interests.

Speaking of personal experiences, I've had three rubbish Exide batteries now, one of which was particularly expensive and failed repeatedly well within its warranty period (and caused a fight with super-cheap autos over, but that's another story) so it's not a brand I'd be rushing to recommend. But knock yourself out - I'm sure most of their batteries are fine.

Gooch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bob
Drive
J-Spec Vr-4 1990, 2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S
In the end

Hey folks,

In the end I just brought a Max Super Heavy Duty form one of our recomended suppliers (A S L auto electics) They knew the car and made me feel good by drooling over it :ROFLMAO:. Built my ego up a bit.
A S L installed same size battery similar to the one that was in there they gave me warranty and then checked to make sure that it was working and charging correctly after a drive all for just on $100 and they did it on the spot, when I turned up.
Two thumbs up for A S L and like everything do your research and buyer beware. So far so good.

Top Bottom