best pod filters

G

Unregistered
was about to buy a pod filter the other day, but my brother told me a few things that made me change my mind and thought id ask on here to find out.
my brother has a last model magna before they brought out the 380 and he was thinking of putting a pod filter on it, but then he herd from people that because of the honey comb type inside of where the air flow sensor is, and the cyclonic type induction from the pod it doesn't get a proper reading of air flow and makes the car run very rough and rich at idle and lower revs.
i had a look inside mine and there is similar honey comb stuff but not as much as in the magna. has any one had issues with pod filters doing this?
also i noticed that the filter i was looking at buying would not just simply go on and i would need a bracket like the ones for wrxs and libertys.... whats the best pod filter to buy?

and dont tell me search cause i already did and couldnt find what i was looking for lol ;)

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Why do you want a POD? Do you have an aftermarket air filter setup already, or just the standard airbox and snorkel?

IMO if you have the airbox, look to replacing the airfilter panel inside. There are Ralliart units for about $100 and also HKS ones for about $55 on ebay.

G

Unregistered
ah huh thank you very much :) i have the air box and snorkel but i guess i just wanted to be fully hectic with a pod lol
does the rallyart give it better performance and a nice barking noise?

G

Unregistered
imo the factory setup works better by just replacing the panel filter thats in there atm with an aftermarket one like mentioned above. pod filters unless enclosed in their own box will just soak up all the heat from within the engine bay and therefore abolish any possible gains by it 'enhaling' cooler air from outside/air intake setup.

in saying that i had a pod filter inside the original airbox in my previous car (01 wrx) and worked fine.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Unless you are doing a full CAI system with a full aftermarket engine management system that removes the AFM, don't bother lol...

Hot air + Wrong MAF = RICH and NASTY!

there is a K&N pod with the correct MAF so you can keep the AFM but you wouldn't use it without the whole CAI system put in

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
With the Ralliart one i noticed better, smoother mid range but my old filter was filthy. Do get a few different intake noises but didn't notice much regarding the exhaust unfortunately.

G

Unregistered
you guys with a/market pod/panel filters, do you get any induction/sucking sound upon turning off the ignition? just curious as my car has always done it, but ive got a normal panel filter from compliance.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I have never noticed it but never really listened. Most probably the turbos spinning for a little when you shut the car off.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i get a sound that kinda sounds like turning off a giant fan whirring down when i turn the car off.. is that the sound you mean? sounds pretty good :D

G

Unregistered
I'm running a blitz pod and its fine, my air/fuels are nice and smooth and I'm running a NEO which is also a apparent no go ... funny how things work out in the "real world"

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
you guys with a/market pod/panel filters, do you get any induction/sucking sound upon turning off the ignition? just curious as my car has always done it, but ive got a normal panel filter from compliance.

Frozen noticed that my car was doing this as well.. not when turning off the ignition but when accelerating.. and its loud as.. keep in mind im using the poo type ryco panel filter.. and its filthy since i haven't changed it since november last year..

could our cars be one of those special ones?!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Do Mitsi dealers stock the ralliart panel filter? Or is there a better place to get one?

G

Unregistered
Frozen noticed that my car was doing this as well.. not when turning off the ignition but when accelerating.. and its loud as.. keep in mind im using the poo type ryco panel filter.. and its filthy since i haven't changed it since november last year..

could our cars be one of those special ones?!
lee (hotwire) has the same noise and i do as well very slightly.

frozen, yeah its like a metallic whirring noise which would make sense sounds like the turbo fins spinning. sounds tough though lol.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
does anyone where I could get this ARC for our cars?

cimg9496ix0ub4ds0.jpg

EDIT: Never mind, found them on RHD Japan. :) But is't worth it?

G

Unregistered
lee (hotwire) has the same noise and i do as well very slightly.

frozen, yeah its like a metallic whirring noise which would make sense sounds like the turbo fins spinning. sounds tough though lol.

my bfs car (ford focus xr5) does that when he turns it off, sounds like a jet powering down its so cool...
wish mine made mad noises :(
my filter was replaced with a new one when it went through compliance so i don't desperately need to change it but just thought a pod would be cool, give it that nice sucking and barking noise like when you take the box off :)
did that on my mums old magna once... sounded tough

Bad-Karma

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4
Ball bearing turbos spin for a while after the car is turned off and make a noise similar to what your describing.

Top Bottom