Best quotes about VR-4s

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Gavin 100RON has ethanol in it, don't expect better fuel economy.

You probably wont see better fuel economy, but you have a few more points of knock protection. Who knows, might be worth an extra degree of timing on the dyno..

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
It's good to have a tank of it now and then. The byproduct of ethanol is water, so you basically steam clean the inside of the engine and exhaust.

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
It's good to have a tank of it now and then. The byproduct of ethanol is water, so you basically steam clean the inside of the engine and exhaust.

?Really? Thats the first time Ive heard of that. If its useful from time to time, I might give it a try.

Gavin, I'd be interested to see a few tankfuls of fuel economy data from you, before and after you started using this ethanol blend.

Schneider

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
PFL Legnum Vr4
?Really? Thats the first time Ive heard of that. If its useful from time to time, I might give it a try.

Gavin, I'd be interested to see a few tankfuls of fuel economy data from you, before and after you started using this ethanol blend.

I've been running United Premium 100 for ~7000km. Seat of pants, car feels smoother and fuel economy has actually improved for me. I used to get 11L+ /100km around the city and now i'm down to a flat 10L/100km.

Pretty much stock Legnum too. I figure the stock ecu plays better with the 100RON fuel since that's what it was designed for in Japan.

n.b. If you do run it continuously change your fuel filter after 500-1000km

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
The car's been tuned for this fuel and was running stupidly rich with a manual MBC. Now, with my driving I'm getting 420-430km at 50 litres used, where previously on Shell V-Power I was hitting 340-350km. With less potential energy in the 100RON United, I know I'm going to get "less" but with TME_Steve's tune with Transformance, I'm getting more.

Back on-topic!

Last weekend (Sunday 25th March), I was picking up my car from Andrew's Airport Parking after a week working in Sydney. I use those guys a lot since parking is undercover and secure and cheaper (work pays for it but I prefer to support small business when I can).

Anyway, I picked the option to have my car washed as well.

The gentleman at the service desk said "mate, that's a very nice car!"

When they opened the bonnet to have a curious peek (fine by me), they were surprised to see all the piping and the engine cover boldly stating what lies beneath.

Just spreading the Legnum love. ;)

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual
Interesting, so therefore with a TME tune on 98 octane it's a waste of time putting 100 RON in the tank unless the car is retuned? We need maybee to double check with Steve?

Oh, and in line with the theme of the thread my neighbour seeing my old Galant and new Legnum in the driveway says "What are you doing - collecting Magnas now?"

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual

The by product of all combusting hydrocarbons, such as petrol, is water and carbon dioxide, and usually some carbon monoxide due to some incomplete total combustion. The idea with ethanol is it burns 'cleaner' and more completely. The water issue I think was that ethanol attracts water and people were/are worried about corrosion in their fuel systems.

WOG-VR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Peter
Drive
2001 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
After purchasing the car driving it on the way home we had to cross a river on a ferry. The guy signalling the cars to drive off the ferry said to me as I was very carefully angling the car down the dip (has coilovers and sits low)

"Is this like a suped up magna or something?"

My reply "yes it is"

My fiance just couldnt resist laughing

G

Unregistered
Parked between a Stagea and a VE-SS at the beach the other day, we were all chucking our kids in the car at the same time, the drivers of the other cars must have been mates and I overheard them quietly talking about the Leggy as their wives packed their cars.
The stag owner says "see that Mitsi there, it's a twin turbo AWD, on the magna platform, they were made to rival the Stag but they were shit house and never sold"
Commodore owner "That cause it's a Mitsubishi, all their cars are shit"
Stag owner "Yeah they are supposed to be unreliable and drive like shit, I've smashed a few in the stag"

I had my head in the car having a giggle, I was very impressed with how much they knew about cars.Needless to say we all took off at almost the same time.The Stag was very easily dispatched at the first set of lights we stopped at, the VE got away until we hit a few roundabouts and tight turns, then he was in the rear view as well.
Wish I was there for the excuse/denial session afterwards.And to see them wiping the egg off their shit eating faces haha.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Had a cool exchange with some random dude at the servo (wow that sounded sus). He comes up to me and wants to know about the car. He was in a suit but seemed to know a bit about cars as he was commenting on the brembos and asking what they make at the wheels. He seemed pretty impressed and gave a lot of compliments about how subtle my car was. He then hops into a brand new M3 and drives off. Wasn't expecting that.

G

Unregistered
Guy at the Servo outdid all competition today lol. I go there in the 34 and he is always working and gets to talking as he has a 33 Gts-t. I filled up the Leggy and went inside to pay and he served me and asked where the 34 was, I said I had the family car today and he looked out the window and seen it sitting right in front of him and says
"Aw sweet is that the new Stagea? The one with the 350z motor?" I couldn't help but burst out laughing at the guy before explaining where he went wrong.
Think he would know a Nissan from a Mitsi by now haha.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
To be fair, it's pretty hard to tell the difference between a Stagea and a Volvo.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
The lass's Outlander copped a rear-end hit and was out of action for a week and a half getting fixed.

Now, since I'm a dad of only four months (yay!), "Loki" was now seconded as the family taxi, with baby capsule transferred and all. Suffice to say, there are a LOT of your beat-up Falcodores out my end of town (often plastered with "Monster" or "Unit" stickers).

Imagine a tall Aussie girl, driving a JDM wagon cruising around and then she goes around the other side to get the kid out of the car.

The amount of double-takes and WTFs over those 10 days were hilarious!

Leg

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mr
Drive
99 Pearl White Leggy vr4
Talking to one of the mechanics at work, only been in Aus for 2 years (Philippino)

Him:got a nice car, you get it for a good price?
Me: yea i did, couldn't complain haha
Him: What year is it, 08, 09?
Me: '99
Him: Bullshit! you serious?
Me: yup (show him the compliance plate)
Him: it just looks so... modern!

Needless to say he wants a drive of it now :p

Anton_Willows

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tony
Drive
1996 Legnum VR-4
Girlfriends workmate "Is your partner Lebanese? Was he born in Australia"
The girl friend "No, Why cos he drive's an Import?"
Girlfriends workmate "Well yeah, but mostly cos oh his skin tone.."

Almost pissed myself laughing when my partner explained that I was born in Australian and my skin tone is because of my Aboriginal decent, which she explained to her friend makes me more Australian then her workmate or herself.. She also pointed out that Michael Schumacher is in fact a German and not Italian (I know crazy right) lol!

G

Unregistered
"Fuck This Car"
~ Every VR4 Driver, Ever.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom