Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Yeah Greddy A pillar gauge holder is what I have. They sell on skylinesaustralia and other places regularly second hand. Should be pretty cheap to buy new too if you can find one.

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
so my turbosmart 52mm boost gauge died after 3 months - LED died, gauge still works, so i decided to whip out the CAD software, and make something where i could see more of the gauge as i just had it sitting in where the clock went, siliconed in place. looking at getting a prosport evo boost gauge, and a prosport evo wideband eventually (once my piggy bank allows me) seem to have an OK review around the place.

here's what i am currently having created for me by 3D Prototypes and Models, that i drew up,
after i've test fitted it, and maybe even incorporated clips to clip into the factory position, if people are wanting some then i dont mind having more made if it turns out okay. mine will just be plain PLA plastic for now. if i can be bothered i'll mold it and vacuum form a carbon fibre part, but that seems like too much effort at this stage.

Assembly8_zps3ruznhzg.jpg

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
At this stage theyre straight, once i know it fits etc ill make some refinements and point them slightly towards the driver

d3ck5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dexter
Drive
VR4, VR6
registering interest.

surely someone on this board has a large enough 3d printer for this?

shirley....

:)

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
I was contemplating buying one, but most in my price range have a 200mmx200mm print bed or smaller, and this is 240mm from memory.

If there was a bulk order placed then likely they could be made relatively cheap saving us all some dosh

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
progress update:

model arrived this arvo, test fitted it and then got the bench grinder out. this one was going to be the plug for a mold, hence no holes.

after some modifcation its fitting pretty nicely, going to lower it down 2 or so mm so it sits alittle more flusher but you can barely notice it - only stands out due to blue.

then back onto CAD software tonight, alter the design and then have another one with precut holes printed, get a quote for a bulk lot printed in black, speak to the admins about a small group buy at cost price for ozvr4 members if people are interested (as per forum rules)

at this stage it will take a gauge upto 45mm deep, i know the prosport evo is 30, and my turbosmart is 40. 45mm is to the top of the gauge where the back starts curving, obviously theres like 60mm plus roughly in the middle where the vacuum nipple is.

looking like i will be making them with straight facing gauges at this stage due to being too complex to print otherwise.

pod1_zpsohynba1j.jpg

pod2_zpssk7hhgtf.jpg

pod5_zpstmbg7i5b.jpg

pod4_zpsdgh85d3s.jpg

pod3_zps6mubw0ej.jpg

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
My gauges fit, count me in please DTRE30!

d3ck5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dexter
Drive
VR4, VR6
progress update:

model arrived this arvo, test fitted it and then got the bench grinder out. this one was going to be the plug for a mold, hence no holes.

after some modifcation its fitting pretty nicely, going to lower it down 2 or so mm so it sits alittle more flusher but you can barely notice it - only stands out due to blue.

then back onto CAD software tonight, alter the design and then have another one with precut holes printed, get a quote for a bulk lot printed in black, speak to the admins about a small group buy at cost price for ozvr4 members if people are interested (as per forum rules)

at this stage it will take a gauge upto 45mm deep, i know the prosport evo is 30, and my turbosmart is 40. 45mm is to the top of the gauge where the back starts curving, obviously theres like 60mm plus roughly in the middle where the vacuum nipple is.

looking like i will be making them with straight facing gauges at this stage due to being too complex to print otherwise.

pod1_zpsohynba1j.jpg

pod2_zpssk7hhgtf.jpg

pod5_zpstmbg7i5b.jpg

pod4_zpsdgh85d3s.jpg

pod3_zps6mubw0ej.jpg

don't know if lips or 3D moustache.

either way, I'm in when they're mass produced to a limited run. :)

DRTE30

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jimmy
Drive
'00 FL Legnum
Almost finished tweaking the Cad drawing to fit, been busy with work & applying for new jobs to fund more car parts, you know what its like!

Should have an ABS prototype mid next week (PLA plastic doesnt like 40+ degree days in the sun, damn hippy corn starch plastic!)

Ricardo

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ricardo
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Legnum
So after the weather cooled and the bees cleared, I was able to fit my gauge.
Sydo where did you get the bracket to mount your guage? Did it come with the guage or did you buy it separately?

Ricardo

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Ricardo
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Legnum
Almost finished tweaking the Cad drawing to fit, been busy with work & applying for new jobs to fund more car parts, you know what its like!

Should have an ABS prototype mid next week (PLA plastic doesnt like 40+ degree days in the sun, damn hippy corn starch plastic!)
Any progress on the prototype?

Mrstevieboy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
Heres a photo of my GFB Boost controller sitting in the passenger side center vent. Sits in there snuggly but I attached a small sticky felt pad to the top to ensure it tight fit.
Doubles as a digital read out and blends in quite well.
**Edit**
Also I tend not to have passengers unless going on a cruise in nice weather so they'll never have a need to complain about only having the outer vent.

Top Bottom