Boost gauge positioning

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
I'm thinking of finally installing my boost gauge during the week.

But I'm also thinking "I can't be bothered."
Seems like a lot of work for no gain other than aesthetics (and maybe troubleshooting). Drilling the firewall, opening up the steering column to get power to the gauge, fitting on the dash... B'ah..

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Cameron, thats a good spot for it, I was considering putting it there.

Is there enough clearance behind it, inside the dash? And can you see it from a normal driving position (or does the wheel get in the way)?

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
You don't need to drill the firewall mate.

The first time I did it I ran it through the grommet at the drivers side rear of the engine bay into the wheel well (under neath the plastic splash guard) and back into the cabin through the existing grommet there. Simple to do and totally reversible.

When I installed the EBC I needed a shorter run to my glove box, so pulled that one out and ran it through the grommet at the top passenger side of the firewall. Now this is a royal prick to do, but did avoid and kind of cutting or drilling.

I started by feeding a thin wire through from the engine bay side then shoving a good amount of that through. You then need to get into your seat backward and shove your head right down in the furthest point of your foot well and look up through the rather small hole in the plastic cover beneath the AC unit. You should just be able to see your wire. You just need to grab it with a hook and pull it through. Quite a bit more tedious and uncomfortable than I make it sound.

It's a bitch, but makes for a neat factory looking installation.

If you're putting the gauge over near the drivers side, then just run it the first way I mentioned.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
ta thanks!
Will have a look when the weather cools down, and the bees clear. :banghead:

cam1754

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
cameron
Drive
1996 galant vr4
simon, yea i like it there. i did have it down under the dash by my left leg and made changing gears a pain. so i moved it there last week.plenty of clearance behind there ,only prob is that panel is curved and as a result makes it difficult to make the gauge sit flush.it could do with facing upwards a little too.
cheers

G

Unregistered
I've been contemplating where to install my boost gauge and if I could be bothered doing Oil pressure and Temp gauges similar to what I already have in the GTiR.

Then I saw Mark's pictures of the stealth install where the clock used to be! That is absolutely perfect! My clock is stuffed (and from what I've read it seems to be a common problem) so I'll be planning a similar install sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Absolutely awesome idea Mark!

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
you guys know that the clock is an easy fix aye?

and aas someone else said, you can run the pipe through the grommet behind the RF kick panel, behind the inner gaurd and into the grommet to the engine bay.

and if you need power for the gauge i just popped out the blank panel above the coin holder thing and i tapped into the plugs behind there (these are for TCL button but on the manual the plugs are there, just not used)

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
So after the weather cooled and the bees cleared, I was able to fit my gauge.

Attachments

• bg1.jpg
    bg1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 397
  • bg2.jpg
    bg2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 418

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
1999 8G VR2 Galant & 1996 8G VR4 Galant
Thats the best gauge location I’ve seen awesome. Do you have any other pics of before you put them in, all 3 togeather......installed without the cover....
What brand and size gauges are they?

Sorry for the slow response. Haven't been online for a couple of weeks here. I've got some pictures here:

galant-vr4-intereur-meters3.jpg

galant-vr4-slm-gauges-betaped2.jpg

galant-vr4-slm-gauges-bpainted4.jpg

galant-vr4-slm-gauges-clock-bay-open0.jpg

galant-vr4-slm-gauges-clock-bay-open1.jpg

galant-vr4-slm-gauges-clock-bay-open2.jpg

galant-vr4-slm-gauges-clock-bay-open3.jpg

galant-vr4-slm-gauges-clock-bay-open4.jpg

galant-vr4-slm-gauges-closeup1.jpg

galant-vr4-slm-gauges-closeup2.jpg

I'm gonna place a tinted peace of plexiglas in front of the gauges that will give an even more leveled-to-the-HC-dails-unit-look.

G

Unregistered
boost gauge

I took out my vent & made up fibreglass mould of vent hole covered it in black matterial looks great. Done mates WRX bit of playn around but looks tidy & policemans r happy!!!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
And I suppose everyone has their own personal favourite brand they can recommend? Those SLM's look great :)

Currently my Apexi RSM sits in the clock area.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Im tossing up on wether to spend lots on a set fo BF Defi's or just get a set of cheap Autogauges..

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Oh and my old Pro + Gauge was in front of the clock...

Attachments

• DSC00893a.jpg
    DSC00893a.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 349
G

Unregistered
i can get hands on water temp, oil temp,batt and boost for 35 bucks a pop.
they are in box and everything is supplied it, temp sensor wiring instructions ect.

ive put em in on my car ill post some photos later on when i get home from work.

let us know if you guys want some.. oh yeah the brand is racetech... smokes face.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Mine is on the A-Pillar ATM as a rushed install. I don't mind it there as it is quite visible while driving (and driving hard). I generally use mine to stay OFF boost for fuel economy as i have real problems with the weight of my right foot!

Its also good to monitor while the car is warming up so i keep it off boost till the car is warmed up.

I have my EBC in the little drawer in front of the fuses. Stealth FTW!!!!

I will post some pics when i get some......

Dawso

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
As promised -

IMG_0146-1.jpg

The Drift boost guage on top, GReddy Profec B spec II EBC in the little compartment, and the LED is off my Carlinea Alarm/Immobiliser system.....:D

Top Bottom