frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i was paying for a tune as cheaply as i could, not the dyno, the dyno was solely to show the before and after. Ill ask anyway though.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Guys,

There is a question that have been floating on my head about the maximum psi of our TD03 turbos. I have gone through this thread and this thread and I read that each turbo can handle 15psi, this is correct, right? If so, that is a total of 30psi together.

So, this is the question. Why is it that most of us have set our boost below 15psi only while both turbos can produce up to 30psi? That is only 1/4 (7.5psi) boost level out of 15psi on each turbo.

Am I missing something??? I am confused!!!

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
I think what you will find is that with pressure if you put 15psi or air with 15psi of air you still only have 15psi total. I am sure someone can explain this better but. You would infact have to put the 15psi of pressure into a chamber of half the volume to get the pressure to go to 30psi, but that ain't gonna happen as the pressure would simply go back past the turbos and stop them spinnig.

Please someone else explain this better than I have!

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
You have to think in pressure ratio rather than boost.

At 15 PSI of boost (~30psi Absolute), the turbo is essentially holding pressure on the outlet of 2x the inlet pressure, if that inlet pressure is at sea level (~15psi Absolute)

Although you have 2 turbos, this maximum pressure ratio does not change, and therefore the outlet pressure will only get to 2x inlet pressure.

It doesn't matter how many turbos you run in parallel (assuming all the same turbo) this will always remain true.
If one turbo produces more than the other, the other will slow down (because it cannot support the pressure ratio) and as a result, flow less air. Because less air is flowing, the pressure ratio then drops back.

If, on the other hand you had one turbo which fed the inlet of the 2nd turbo, you would have the opposite.
Because the pressure ratio across the first compressor was 2:1, the inlet pressure to the second turbo is then ~30psi Absolute (or 15psi boost). Supporting a pressure ratio of 2:1, the maximum pressure on the outlet of the 2nd turbo should be ~60psi absolute. The down side of course is that the maximum flow rate is still only what the one turbo can provide.

Exactly the same principle as having batteries in series or parallel. In parallel you double the current capacity but maintain the same voltage. In series, you double the voltage but maintain the same current capacity.
Just swap current for flow and voltage for pressure and you have turbos.

In theory at least :p

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Thanks I think that is better than I put it!

Top Bottom