max boost 14psi??

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I don't remember the equations, I worked them out based on the available data and with the help of my resident doctor in applied mathematics.

The numbers are just examples, in real life conditions are far too random to make any worth while statements.

For the purpososes of illustrating my point I took outlet pressure ratio regardless of temperature. I purposely left out the rest of the intake which would include an intercooler. As stated at the end, it would require a perfect intake to achieve that sort of pressure.

The flow limit and pressure ratios were taken off the easy to find general outline of the compressor map and disregards the compressor efficiency at that point, namely because max flow is max flow.... so long as you can cool it. (and a perfect intercooler can do just that :p)

On a technical basis, the post isn't perfect (much less than) but it was written with the idea that some people will find it useful and may better understand how and why turbos produce boost, and why it varies so much between applications.

Also they will hopefully understand that asking for specific boost numbers is always going to get people arguing over what is and isn't possible, where in reality it is quite variable and they should be looking for generalisations, or look at the compressor map themselves.

You have done some awesome work Mante, no doubt about that. I also don't for a minute doubt that 13.2 psi was the pressure that produced the best results for you.
However I do disagree that the same can be said for others, as differences in setup will produce significant variance and absolute pressure in PSI cannot be used as a benchmark.

Good luck with your single turbo project. Not sure if you saw on Club VR-4, but zentac got excellent high RPM results from cam shafts, it might be worth a look if you are looking for top end power (and haven't done them yet)

kenneth:
thanks but honestly just cause you can remember the equations doesnt make your comment any better. I can not find the efficiency map for the 6c's which shows the range the 6c's makes its worth.

G

Unregistered
, as differences in setup will produce significant variance and absolute pressure in PSI cannot be used as a benchmark.

Good luck with your single turbo project. Not sure if you saw on Club VR-4, but zentac got excellent high RPM results from cam shafts, it might be worth a look if you are looking for top end power (and haven't done them yet)

That is definately true!@ variations.

My build will land me exactly where I want to be and I am going to attempt to be content once its all said and done.. The gt35 is made for well above it on the 2L 4g63. I initially thought about cams but it will be overkill, imagine that lol

G

Unregistered
wish i had that much power..
id be happy with anything over 200awkw

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i have around 190kw atw (on 12psi) and its not enough... i want double. i want it to be holycrapwtf shit your pants fast... but that would take alot more than just engine mods to make the rest of the car hold up :(

G

Unregistered
i have around 190kw atw (on 12psi) and its not enough... i want double. i want it to be holycrapwtf shit your pants fast... but that would take alot more than just engine mods to make the rest of the car hold up :(

its doable without going inside the motor, only problem is you have to do a bit more then just the everyday bolt on's

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Bernard - what have your engine builders told you about the ability of a VR-4 engine regarding max power? Personally I'm going to do the turbo install and go for about 250kw ATW, then get forged rods and pistons built and aim for 300kw ATW.

buduki

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Cheyne
Drive
Stocko Galant vr4 Type V
I've looked up some stats regarding my galant. They state when built the max power was 280ps (power strokes) or in our language 205.94kw at 5500rpm with 362.85nm of torue at 4000rpm. What is the average loss over time or klms? And what effects over time would adding more boost do if any to this loss? Probably a pointless question and yep another noob to turbos.

its a type V.

G

Unregistered
Over time, you can expect to shorten the oil seals in the stock 6c turbo's if you run the max of 14.5 or so. You will destroy the factory soft charge piping. I have seen no adverse effects to the motor personally, but this is me keeping up with routine care of the car. All in all depending on what you do the ONLY way you can hurt the car is running boost above 14, something is telling me the 13.7 but I could be wrong.

buduki

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Cheyne
Drive
Stocko Galant vr4 Type V
Thanks Bernard. I'm thinking baby steps on the way to upgrading my car. with knowlege comes power. Im with frozen on the ecu before adding more boost. ive got a couple of skyline mates and they keep telling me its all good just add more boost then the next week there in the shop getting fixed haha.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
If you are conservative you can up your boost without any other mods, our cars will handle 12-13 psi no sweat without other mods. I was data logged running 15-16 psi without any other mods and there wasn't any problems

buduki

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Cheyne
Drive
Stocko Galant vr4 Type V
fair enough im glad to hear that..... and no these lads aren't real conservitive though.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
by conservative I just meant boost it up to 12-13 rather then trying to find boost cut at 16+

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Bernard - what have your engine builders told you about the ability of a VR-4 engine regarding max power? Personally I'm going to do the turbo install and go for about 250kw ATW, then get forged rods and pistons built and aim for 300kw ATW.
Be interested to see how you go with that Brad. I've recently had mine retuned & they dragged 248kws out of it (front wheels only) at 18 psi. I then flogged it round Wakefield all day & had no issues (apart from uber amounts of wheelspin & some cooked brake pads.)

I've got my spare set of turbos down to get high flowed (including new shafts machined up all one diametre to eliminate the shear area where it steps down in diametre on the stock shafts.) I also have the nos kit in the car ready to go, but im just a little concerned as to how far I should be going without doing internals. I has teh 'rod out block' fear :001_unsure:

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Ben is that 248kw at the front wheels? Keep in mind 250kw at all fours is a bit different to 250kw at the front wheels. Nice figure all the same though, a front wheel drive setup would struggle to put anything higher then 250kw to the ground I think.

G

Unregistered
So 12psi is a safe number??? Wat are they stock??? 8 or 6 pis

G

Unregistered
im going to buy one of those $30 ebay mbc, see how they go...Will i notice the increase in boost???

Top Bottom