Max Power bottom end will handle?

G

Unregistered
Any ideas or guesses on what the max power output would be or could be with standard internals before something gives up like the pistons bearings crank or conrods?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the rods are very small and will probably go first. I've been going ok though.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Just boost it till it blows up! (with proper tuning of course) Then we'll see how much they can take.:D Then you'll have an excuse to rebuilt with forged internals!;)
Personally I wouldn't boost it over 22psi; so what ever power I could get from that I would be happy with.

G

Unregistered
Maybe you could list more items with max power info before an upgrade is needed.

eg:
Bottom End -
Turbo's (max power and max PSI) -
Fuel Pump -
Fuel injecters -

G

Unregistered
are there stronger parts available for the 6a13 tt like the rods and pistons?

G

Unregistered
not off the shelf, and those who have them wont share sources

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Any ideas or guesses on what the max power output would be or could be with standard internals before something gives up like the pistons bearings crank or conrods?

Benny, in short no-one knows yet. Bradc has the most power so far in our region, i think there was a guy in the UK with a single conversion and has around the 280 - 300kW mark. Can't remember if he had forged internals.

At a guess and that's all it is, i would say it may handle 280awkW with the correct tune. Then you'd have to wait for it to fail and then pull it apart to see why.

Ive said it before on here, i can kill any car with a shit tune with less than 100hp, that's easy, getting good and reliable numbers from a car is the hard part.

Not what you wanted to hear unless the guys from the UK have more info.

I have an engine soon to be pulled apart when i find out what bits will fit(bearing rods pistons etc) i'll let you all know. Don't ask me in a few weeks though, its not a high priority yet.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Has Valmes done anything to the internals of his engine?

His car is insane...

G

Unregistered
Want to build a bullet proof motor out of my spare with forged pistons, stronger conrods racing bearings and a shot pinged crank so if or when my engine spits it I am ready. Have found a place that will do it but looking at $1500 to $2000 for the forgies alone!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Want to build a bullet proof motor out of my spare with forged pistons, stronger conrods racing bearings and a shot pinged crank so if or when my engine spits it I am ready. Have found a place that will do it but looking at $1500 to $2000 for the forgies alone!

That's a reasonalbe price considering that they aren't a very common size of 80mm.
Forged pistons/rods are pretty expensive if they aren't made in mass numbers

I paid ~ $1800 for forged pistions and rods for a 3 litre build recently. That's a pretty common item now for 1500 for pistons is pretty decent for a low run item.

If you'd like to PM to price breakdown i'd be happy to give you an objective appraisal?

To put your figures into perpsective, the RB25 i have in my Sil80 was costed at 8000-10000 for someone to build it. i did it myself in the end as i wanted the challenge.
That engine was built though to run flat out all day and then drive home and around the street.

G

Unregistered
i think i have read on clubvr4 that guys are running 300kw atw safe with stock internals.. have i miss read?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
i think i have read on clubvr4 that guys are running 300kw atw safe with stock internals.. have i miss read?

Thats a massive figure, awd power trains loose more than rwd, the figure is very debatable, but based on a stock figure, you can expect around 20-22% and if you're interested 18ish% for rwd.

Now before you all go off, its a fixed amount, that means the figure is based on stock power levels. Now, if your car has more output, the figure doesn't stay at a fixed 20-22%...why, here's my way of explaining it

Stock car 150awkW. multiply by 1.2 and 180 is the engine power so the gearbox and power train is sapping 30kw of power.

Now that's it it doesn't increase with hp.

300awkw is still only costing you 30kw so the engine figure would be 330kW or 442hp I have serious reservations of those rods lasting for any length of time at that level.

Hope that explains it clearly

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I'm not convinced that is exactly true either. I would expect the figure to be something like 30kw at 150kw ATW, then increasing slowly, maybe 10kw extra at the wheels results in 1kw extra lost in the power train

G

Unregistered
now now boys dont want to start an argument

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Don't sweat it Ben - everyone here is big enough to hold their own in an argument. That's how we learn, after all - sharing knowledge and debating ideas!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I'm not convinced that is exactly true either. I would expect the figure to be something like 30kw at 150kw ATW, then increasing slowly, maybe 10kw extra at the wheels results in 1kw extra lost in the power train

No, as i said it takes a certain amount of effort to run the drivetrain, once you've done that it doesn't magically keep increasing the amount of hp to turn it.
Unless you are charging a KERS:ROFLMAO:

G

Unregistered
fight! fight! fight!lol
ok, well it will be fun to see when we all start putting power in our cars witch one goes pop first..
lets have a blown engine leader board.lol

Top Bottom