max boost 14psi??

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Hi all, a bit new to the leggie scene but mine is getting nice results so far and I am trying to mod it in a measured and ultimately much slower step by step way with a dyno run on the same dyno at each major change (although there were a few mods already done so....). Friday is the next day on the dyno purely to play with boost mapping (Boost levels vs RPM) hence me reading this. My aim is to go as far as I can retaining the stock turbos (mainly because I'll never stop if I go past that).

As some have said before there is a FLOW limit to a turbo as well as an increase in pressure limit, talking about pressure alone is not really valid and part of this is due to the varying losses on the intake system due to a change in airflow as mentioned above by Kenneth or Bernard (can't remember which).

In simplistic terms lets say the world is ideal (which it isn't) and that at 3000RPM and 12psi boost we have half the airflow of 6000RPM and 12psi. In this ideal world the turbo is therefore flowing half the air at 3000RPM and the pipework is also flowing half the air. Pressure vs flow is a square relationship so at half the airflow there is a quarter the pressure drop. So if there is a 4psi pressure drop before the inlet to the turbo at 6000RPm the will be about a 1psi pressure drop at 3000RPM. So there are two (ignoring all the heat and intercooler efficiency benefits, start counting them and we'll be here forever) advantages at lower revs. The first is that the inlet pressure to the turbo is higher so it doesn't have to increase pressure so far and the second is that the turbo is only flowing half the air, therefore doing half the work.

My point with all of this is that while 13psi may well be the safe limit of our turbos with a certain level of other mods at 5500RPM plus, 17 or 18 psi may well not be a problem at 3000 - 4500.... so mapping the boost against RPM can give you either a bigger gain or a safer gain with a similar overall result.

On friday I'll know where my turbo's drop off efficiency and I have to wind timing back so much that I lose all the gains but that will be for my car with it's current mods and I guarentee the pressure level will be different depending on revs.

I also run multiple boost maps so you aren't runnning the turbos up there all the time and just because your maximum boost is set to 15psi or whatever it is doesn't mean you are necessarily getting to that point all the time so your driving style makes a difference too....

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
My car peaks at around 19psi or so earlier on in the rev range but the turbos just can't sustain that much so the power drops off going up to the redline.

scfa

Crunching Gears
First Name
Sai Chung
Drive
Legnum VR4
my leggy got a hks f-con and boosted at 0.9 bar with standard mods
working fine and fast ;D
my friend's got mods, front pipe, dump pipe, fmic, safc, avcr, cat back, high flow air filter and boosted at 1.2 bar.
Guess what?
i can do better than him on 0-60kms for 1/2 car distance and he then can chase up on 60-100kms and
faster than me for 1&1/2 car distance.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
my leggy got a hks f-con and boosted at 0.9 bar with standard mods
working fine and fast ;D
my friend's got mods, front pipe, dump pipe, fmic, safc, avcr, cat back, high flow air filter and boosted at 1.2 bar.
Guess what?
i can do better than him on 0-60kms for 1/2 car distance and he then can chase up on 60-100kms and
faster than me for 1&1/2 car distance.

Sounds like your mates car isn't tuned very well!

G

Unregistered
well i bought my $30 ebay mbc, now for a boost guage. Do u think a speco 30psi guage is overkill. The needle might not move enough as the cars don't run nearly that much boost. Wat do everyone else use. trying to mod car on a budget :)

G

Unregistered
Anyone know what the calibre at supercheap are like??? they only go to 20psi...might just stick withe 30psi speco guage for $50

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I helped tom put a calibre one in his galant. It did the job no problem. Choose which one you like the look of more.

G

Unregistered
I like the speco one more and think that its probably better quality, just at 30psi the needle will never even get half way around the dial..... probably doesn't really matter though. Might see wat autobarn have tomorrow.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I have a speco and they aren't very good, had to send the first 1 back because it was resting at 9 psi, the replacement works ok, wish I bought one of those smoked style gauges though

G

Unregistered
found a saas one that changes 4 different colours, might try it

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Dyno runs done today, upshot is going beyond 13.5psi with limited mods as Bernard orginially suggested is useless and beyond 4500RPM, I'd argue more like 12 is the go. the efficiency just isn't there. That's only with turbo back exhaust and a panel filter. want more boost means you need pipes and intercoolers.... (my next steps I guess)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Sounds about right, can't really notice a difference between 14 psi and 16 psi in my car

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Well unless everthing is run on the same dyno figures area bit meaningless but peak powers as follows.

On this dyno a stock evo x gets 170 to 175 at the hubs

We did a heap of runs all afternoon and also had problems with maps/tuning anywhere below 4500RPM, above that we could get itright but changes didn't take effect below that so we went back to std maps, I'll sort that out over the next few days (read probably take weeks). Run 1 also was running perfect AF above 4500RPM but WAY lean below that and like I said ECU flash didn't do anything below that. Std Maps run lean to about 3400 then overly rich. All the figures are at the hubs

Run 1 16.5 psi boost from 3100 to 4300, 14psi to 5200, 13ish after that gave 190kW from 4500 to 5750 Peak torque 400Nm @ 3250 to 390Nm @ 4500, could probably get this a bit better upping the sensitivity of the controller

Run 2 15 psi boost from 3100 to 4300, 13.5psi to 5600, 12.7ish after that gave 180kW from 4500 to 5000, 190kW 5250 to 5500 Peak torque 385Nm @ 3100 to 4500, sensiivity upped a bit

Run 3 13.5psi to 4500, 12.5 to 5200, 12 onwards 175kW from 4500 to 6000, 360Nm @ 3250 to 4500, probably need to up the sensitivity again

Also getting a big hit of knock with std fuel and timing maps above 6000RPM so be careful of that but my car has had 4 or 5 different maps go in it over the last few days so the ecu may adjust it out given a chance, I don't know.... Pointless revving that hard anyway....

For me, I have to sort out the tuning issues but changing the intercooler and pipes as well so the two will be together. Map wise Run 1 is fine above 4500RPM so thats the best you'll get but maybe a bit more torque when it's too lean below that but it's way past it's best efficiency at that point. want more than that, needs pipes and intercoolers.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
ps the torque figures are at the hubs but divided out to match engine speed. Based on an evo making 172kW and our drive train being the same then multiply the above figures by 1.26 to get engine figures, 220kW, 450Nm torque is safe, 240kW, 500Nm is the best you'll get. With good tuning you can probably safely do somewhere in between.

And be careful tuning with gauges, even my Defi guage is at least 1psi out....

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Are you running an auto or manual? That will alter your correction.

BTW, our drive train is COMPLETELY different to an Evo X. You should "really" stop any comparisons in that field at Evo 6.5.

None the less, i am pretty surprised at the figures you have pulled with stock cooler. When Dave (merlin) tuned our's, he noticed a big increase in intake temps with high boost figures, with Chris's stock cooler.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Run one sounds great. That is 240 to 250kw depending on what power loss figures you want to use and 505 to 525nm or so.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
None the less, i am pretty surprised at the figures you have pulled with stock cooler. When Dave (merlin) tuned our's, he noticed a big increase in intake temps with high boost figures, with Chris's stock cooler.
That's why I have started a secret piggy bank to get myself a bigger intercooler before Dave's next visit hehe. Told the missus tune day would be the last money I spent on the car until the new year, so I have to do it all on the sneaky until the end of the year lol

Top Bottom