Brake squeal - what would you do next?

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
is there a version of bendix advance we can put on our cars? all my previous cars that has been an excellent streeet pad

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
The initial post is regarding Brembos. It is a common issue with them.

I have never heard standard brakes squeal like a set of Brembos do.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
I have RDA Gold Passivated - Slotted and Dimpled all round with EBC Green stuff's, have done 5 track-days with them, where they have been hammered and absolutely no issues at all !!!

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Well is there a different caliper upgrade some sort of aftermarket evo kit that would be better than the brembos?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Yes but would prob cost a shirtload more and still there is no way known if it will squeal or not.

Seriously, you want the least amount of sqeauling from Brembos, get the Elig pads.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I'm getting the squeal on non-brembo's with rda rotors

I used to have RDA slotted on my oem (twin piston) calipers.. and used Bendix Ultimate, never heard a squeal.. in fact.. after the mountain run with Dawso I found the middle part of the pads crumbling.. not that its relevant to squealing

at the moment, Im not caring about the slight squeal, since I'm spraying the CRC De-Squeak everyday.. I'll look into it further when I get back from holiday, hopefully I have a set of new brake pads.. might look into Acre Super Fighter, Elig 2021 or Endless SS..

*EDIT*

upon further investigation, I've noticed that my front left calipers do more squealing than the right.. so it can't be the rotors or the pads..

A QUESTION TO THOSE WHO HAVE BREMBO CALIPERS (either fronts, rear or all 4)

have you guys replaced the brake pad pin and the metal clip? or even just the clip that stops the pads from moving too much?

on my days off I'm gonna take them off then take the car for a spin, say about 5kms and see if the squealing gets worse.. if it does.. then I believe this is the freaking cause of the squealing..

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Jungle I have tried running with the stick on shims on the back of the metal shims. So that counts as 2 sets and had squeal still.

I might give your brake heat cycling thing a go.

Chris > The spring clip on the back of my front brembo's is still very tight, but obviously I havn't compared this to a new one. The clips on my rears are pretty sick (they are a smaller clip) they have pretty much lost there spring... don't seem to squeal though.

It seems that the Elig pads are the best no squealers. Are these the softest pads I could get though? Maybe I should try EBC greenstuff..

I don't mind running a street pad for the road and swapping in a track pad if I ever get to another track day. I do have the choice of A1RM or HPX right now :-/

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I don't know if you have tried it but i was talking to a bloke today about your dilemma and he suggested chamfering the edges of the brake pad, he seemed certain that would fix your problem.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Chris > The spring clip on the back of my front brembo's is still very tight, but obviously I havn't compared this to a new one. The clips on my rears are pretty sick (they are a smaller clip) they have pretty much lost there spring... don't seem to squeal though.

we have the opposite.. my rear ones are still tight.. and the fronts are wobbly..

this is making me point and think that it could be the that spring clip that's causing asll this drama..

I don't know if you have tried it but i was talking to a bloke today about your dilemma and he suggested chamfering the edges of the brake pad, he seemed certain that would fix your problem.

I have tried the HPX pads which had the the straight sharp edges and now using the Bendix Ultimate which the sides were on an angle..

is this what 'chamfer' is?!

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Yes, a Chamfer is a shave off the edge. I don't see how this could make any difference tho.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Putting a chamfer on the pads is an old trick apparently....

Which I tried with my A1RM's. It doesn't have to be perfect you could use a hand grinder a file or a bench top belt sander.
Another trick is to put a cut throug hthe material in the center. Some pads (brembo's) have a gap in the center already and are chamfered too (like the benedix).

Anyhow, this didn't fix the A1RM's for me, but it's worth a try.

This is what chamfering looks like. They say go for a 5mm chamfer.
chamferEdge.jpg

Put a cut down the center with a hacksaw too. A lot of pads have a gap stock.
brakePads.png

It's worth a try however I don't think it's the answer for our brembo's.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Does anyone know were we can get a seal kit for our brembo's?

It might be worth a try. Mine are so faded and chipped they must have a fair few k's on them.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
No chance. I reckon it would make more difference doing it to the back of the pad.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Does anyone know were we can get a seal kit for our brembo's?

It might be worth a try. Mine are so faded and chipped they must have a fair few k's on them.
Mitsi spare parts but expensive. I have the partnumber somewhere....

EDIT:

Here it is.

MR407375 - Seal kit, fr.caliper piston,Brembo
MR407390 - Seal kit, rear brake, Brembo

Top Bottom