Brake squeal - what would you do next?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Not cheap.

About $250 for the fronts and $150 for the rears from the look of it. Such a bloody rip off for some rubber seals.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Yeah, you would think there would be some sort of generic seals for brembos.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
couple of updates..

today i did a bit of troubleshooting..

I removed the pads and cleaned of the CRC De-Squeak stuff that I sprayed on the rotors. Then I cleaned the backing plate and spring clip/plate that is held in by the 2 pins..

my first attempt, I didnt put back the spring clip/plate that is held in place by the 2 pins..

this made the noise worse.. i wasn't even doing 50kph and the noise was there straight away,

So I went home and decided to put back the clip/plate, but before I installed it back.. I added a bit of that PBR anti squeal glue (feels like a normal adhesive, green in color and is very sticky)

after letting it dry up for 10 minutes I then installed it back, then took the car for a drive..

while driving gently, there was no noise at all..

but after I took it for a hard drive.. (60 to 80kph) that's when I started hearing it again..

so at the moment, I'm still confused on what's really causing the squeal.. I might try and replace the clip with a new one and we'll see if how that goes..

still my rear brakes don't squeal at all.. they are RDA slotted and QFM HPX pads..

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Try swapping the rotors, left to right and right to left? dunno, just a wild idea

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
next thing for me to do is to remove the shims.. see if that makes any difference.. am still getting a new set of clips and pins just eliminate more possibilities..

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I know, i have been there and am still 1/2 way (missus evo) I got the Elig pads, problem solved.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
update.. and unfortunately its not a good one.. :(

after having replaced my rotors and pads for about a month now.. my Brake STILL DOES SQUEAL!! unfortunately for me, I've been pulled over my cops after stopping at lights and even at RBT's when rolling at around 20km/h or lower.. that's when the squealing is most loudest.. cops have checked to see if my brakes are worn out or anything, but as they see its almost brand new.. luckily for me.. no infringement was given to me.. yet anyway..

so far its been a month since i've changed my brake rotors and pads

these are the things that I've done..

1. cleaned the rotors before fitting, using an alcohol based solvent to prevent leaving residue..
2. installed the QFM HPX pads and after 5 minutes of driving/braking, squealing would start to appear..
3. Greg was nice enough to send me a set of 3m Stick on shims, for me to install at the back of the pads.. and unfortunately they didn't make any difference even with the oem stainless steel brake shims..
4. replaced the HPX pads with Bendix Ultimate, prior to installation, cleaned the rotors and sanded the surface slightly, then cleaned again with water then solvent, this were done to avoid leaving residue behind..
5. same deal with HPX, squealing is still there with the Bendix Ultimate..
6. replaced the HPX back, (cleaned it first and as usual), squealing was still there.. also noticed that it was starting to chew on the rotors.. so I'm not quite fond of that, so took it off again and replaced the Ultimate back on..
7. removed the shims and retaining spring.. squealing was still there..
8. tomorrow, I'm gonna try and rotate the pads.. seems like there's no squealing when I'm reversing.. I know it's low speed, but that's when the loudest squeal is heard..

I notice that, there's no squealing at the back and the pads aren't chewing on the rotors.

in the whole process above, I have bled my fluids everytime and topped up as well.. luckily I have a 2 liter bottle of the super DOT 4 brake fluid.. one less thing to buy..

Couple of questions to everyone...

1. what break in / bedding in procedures do you guys use.. I've read different procedures and now its come to a point where its starting to confuse me..

2. Has anyone heard of the brand Girodisc? and particularly with their pads 'Magic Pads'?

might give it a crack if rotating the pads/disc dont work..

last thing.. someone suggested to just get the Eligh 2021 pads.. unfortunately I can't afford that as of yet, if I can get away with using this Girodisc Magic pads, I'll be happy..

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
1. Get car up to 80 or 100 kmh, hit the brakes firmly (no ABS) and let go at about 20 kmh. Repeat about 5 times.

2. No

3. Get Elig pads. I told you, i had the same problem. Got Eligs, now i get squeal maybe once a week max and it is nothing like the sound they used to make. I actually don't think i have head them squeal for quite a while now.

Heaps of VIC ppl here know how bad my brakes were, it was a joke.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You could hunt around for some second hand original brembo pads from the evo forums?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I have the RDA grooved and dimpled rotors with EBC Greenstuff using the OEM shims on stock callipers and have almost no squeal (I had completely none until about two months ago, now I get it very occasionally from a small spot in one of the rotors, probably caused by some spirited braking). I didn't do any bedding in, I just drove the car very conservatively without any hard braking for 500km, as advised by both the EBC and RDA data sheets. Once that 500km was up though, I was on them pretty hard ;-)

BTW I changed your thread title, it's brake squeal, not break sqeual :p

G

Unregistered
Sorry I missed this thread.

By the sounds of it Christian, the only thing you haven't changed are the rotors, but it looks like your going to try something with that anyway.

In terms of bedding in, here is a fantastic guide over at EvoOZ.

I've heard of Girodisc, VisionR here in Perth sell them, but I have heard absolutely no reports of how they perform.

sart0ri

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
2000 VR-4 Galant
My brakes have finally stopped squealing. I changed to QFM A1RM pads which did not fix the problem, but after my last visit to the track the A1RM pads survived (very well) and the squealing has stopped. Every other time I went to the track I destroyed the pads, bought new ones and each set squealed. So excessive heat may fix the problem.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
UPDATE... and it's a good one..(y)(y)(y)

replaced the front pads today.. and the squealing is GONE..

.. well not entirely.. just a tiny bit which isn't enough to get little attentions..

so procedure I did was..

1. took wheels off..
2. removed old pads..
3. removed the calipers off the mount and cleaned
4. removed and cleaned the rotors with soapy water then pressure washed it, cleaned it with mineral turpentine thoroughly then sanded the rotor surface to remove anything from the old pads, then washed with water again then with mineral turpentine..
5. replaced the rotors then calipers
6. installed the pads and shims
7. put back the wheels then took it for a test drive with my dad as well as break-in the pads as well..

I'm happy now but unfortunately cost me more than I should've spent in total...

Top Bottom