Brembo Brake Woes.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
That must have been fun! Didn't you notice any leaks while bleeding them?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I bought new shims, made no difference.... I think your worn rotors would help

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Awesome response guys, I've just installed the brembos on my legnum, squeal like a stuck pig, absolutely deafening. i had a girl walk past with fingers in her ears cause it was so loud. Getting brembo shims this coming week and hopefully (going off the above comments) they shut the hell up. Went with RDA slotted and dimpled, ebc yellowstuff and hel brake lines. should be an awesome combination.

It could be the yellow stuff, that's quite a harsh race compound pad isn't it?

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I have yellowstuff on two cars currently and they are a bit dusty, but not noisy (occasional squeek, but not as described by Alex) - they are certainly track capable, but not a full race pad. They are quite tolerable for everyday use.

Steve, how would worn rotors help? This is not something that I have heard of before - maybe the solution is to only buy worn rotors, mine are for sale @ $1000 each :p

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I have yellowstuff on two cars currently and they are a bit dusty, but not noisy (occasional squeek, but not as described by Alex) - they are certainly track capable, but not a full race pad. They are quite tolerable for everyday use.

Fair enough, I thought it was Green Stuff for OEM replacement, Red Stuff for performance use and Yellow Stuff for track/race use.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
That is the traditional EBC explanation but it depends on the application somewhat - I am using them in an 1800KG car with standard 2 pot sliding calipers front and single pot rear. In that, they are great for street and track work (remembering that in SA we really only have Mallala which is very hard on brakes) - the greenstuffs and redstuffs just catch fire if pushed hard, greens will fade during a fast hills drive and are really only suited to 'general purpose' use for that car. If it were for a VR4 with Brembos, then what you said would be spot on (lighter car + bigger brakes).

This is the normal marketing diagram:
braketemp.jpg

Looking at the following graph, it is easier to understand the differences between the 3 compounds:

EBCcomparisonchart.gif

I have actually used all three, and my thoughts were as follows:

Greenstuff - Great replacement for OEM with much better bite, suited to regular driving where the extra bite will make you feel like you have better brakes.

Redstuff - No downsides when compared with Greenstuff - did not notice the difference in cold bite, still better than OEM. Less dust, and still quiet - in most cars they are up to anything short of track days, but would be fine at the track if the car wasn't on semislicks and the driver wasn't really hard on the brakes.

Yellowstuff - about as dusty as OEM pads, and have the occasional squeek - nothing terrible. Just keep getting better with heat, I am sure there is a limit but I have not yet found it. Don't feel quite as good cold as the reds or greens, may be subjective. Suited for someone who needs one pad to do it all (there are better race pads and better street pads). There are obviously drawbacks or everyone would just use the yellowstuffs, but they are quite tolerable - though not ideal - for street use. If the car won't ever see semislicks at the track then redstuffs would probably be a better choice. I expected these to be terrible for street driving (until I tried them out of necessity) after reading the way that EBC describes them so I completely understand why that is the impression others get.

All of this changes if the car has particularly good or bad brakes for its weight; the pads can be varied to make up the gap - in my case EBC suggested Reds as a minimum due to the weight/poor stock brakes. Sorry this is a little off topic, to bring it back within the scope of the thread slightly: putting yellowstuffs in Brembos, one should not expect to have excessive noise purely from the pad - they are capable of being quiet.

For those that still have noise issues, these are the pads that I used which have been silent so far:
Front: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280927614885?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Rear: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280927604355?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

They are hilariously cheap ($82 delivered for ALL 4 corners) and may be worth a try from a diagnostics point of view. They are actually Ferodo Excel pads, but no idea of how good they really are - you will hear about it on the news if they kill me at the next hillclimb :p I have been relatively impressed (or maybe I mean surprised) so far...

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Nope, not yet. They are a little better since changing the front rotors left to right and vice versa but I just haven't had the time to do anything more at this stage, I've been busy putting my bike back together and helping Josh with his car. Josh has let me borrow his new front rotors to try so I'll give them a go when I get a chance to see if that fixes my problems but I'll be going away next week for a month so the car is going to have to wait :(

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car

Steve, how would worn rotors help? This is not something that I have heard of before - maybe the solution is to only buy worn rotors, mine are for sale @ $1000 each :p

Because the wear pattern is not matching your pads, so less likely to chatter the pad which is what makes the noise.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
Makes sense, thanks Steve :)
Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Board Express

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
I used the yellowstuff on my stock brakes and was very impressed (bearing in mind i live on the old pacific highway so i'm always giving it a thrash around there. I had no issues with them so i bought them again when i put the brembos on 2 weeks ago. My shims still havent shown up (thats probably half the reason i'm having issues, as i never installed any). I got the yellowstuffs with the black sticky backing and wacked them straight in.

Will keep you guys updated once i install the shims as to the difference in the noise (if any)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Yep, I bought brand new ones when I first installed them.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Also do you have the metal pad sliders? Some of the guys in the uk have them and found that they get worn and need replaced to stop the squeal.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Yep, everything was new, the only thing in the calipers I didn't replace was the pistons and the calipers themselves.

nashie Boy

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
nashe
Drive
1999 legnum VR-4 manual
Bring up and old thread. I have just put a set of brembos on my legnum with project mu sdr rotors front and rear with club spec pads. All new but squeal like crazy to the point I may go back to stocks. Getting new shims and see how that goes. Just checking if anyone has any new ideas.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
dont know why everyone else doesn't try Elig 2021, it works - not the best pads but way better than any other brands out there and its not harsh on rotors.. Main thing is, it stops the little frog from being raped when slowing down.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
It is funny. Mine started sqealing again too. However , I fitted 2 piece rotors and BAM no squeal now biyarches:LOL:

I really think its a resonate frequency thing with the brembo sized rotors and the metal thats used. Mine now have that beautiful 'zing' under braking now:D

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
That's funny, I went from two piece to single and it fixed mine.

Top Bottom