Tempast

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kyle
Drive
1986 300ZX Turbo
1996 Legnum VR4.

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of replacing my timing belt and giving everything a good clean and coat of paint while I'm in there. so I've got the cam gears off and I'm replacing the cam seals.
Now the old seals look to go in about 1/4" but I'm able to push the new ones in about 1/2". Anyone have an idea?
Should I bottom them out or get them just passed flush? I've taken the cam bearing cover off to get the old seal out, do I put the new seal in, then torque, or do I torque it up and pound the new seal in?

Thanks for the info!
From Canada.

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Push the front of the seal flush with the inside of the chamfer on the cap. Dont push it in full depth as that can block the drainback drilling and cause the seal to weap if pressure builds up behind it

Tempast

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kyle
Drive
1986 300ZX Turbo
Found out how it sits, the old seals have a small ridge on them that centers in groove in the cap. The new seals don't have this lip, so I've put the seal to where the lip would be. Should work fine.

Tempast

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Kyle
Drive
1986 300ZX Turbo
Cam seals are in, I've got the crank sprocket off, now I need to get the front main out. Trying to edge it forward with a pick.

Top Bottom