cambelt and waterpump done yesterday.

blair141

Idling at the Lights
First Name
blair
Drive
1996 galant vr4
hay everyone. just want to say. done my cambelt and water pump and all the idlers and other belts, and i done it all myself. and its not as hard as people make out. parts are expensive ($600 for everything with big discount). i think the worst part was trying to hold all the cams in the right place to put the belt on, deffinatly get another person to help.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
*chuckles* Mate that's why you use a cam-gear locking tool ;) Makes that particular job damn easy.

Glad to hear you gave it a shot though, and thanks for taking the time to let people know how you went - the more people read feedback like this the more likely they are to give it a shot themselves :)

Bennyboy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ben
Drive
'97 Mitsubishi Legnum
hi blair,

where did you get all the parts from, looking at doing mine soon.

G

Unregistered
Good stuff Blair, it's great saving so much on labour costs isn't it... that's a grand in your pocket for a day's work. :) With some decent tools, good information and plenty of time most jobs can be tackled yourself. Did you take any pics along the way?

The biggest problem I find with these major services is actually getting in there to do the work. Access is usually pretty tight and trying to undo bolts with your fingertips when you can't actually see is also a barrel of laughs.

G

Unregistered
Getting clearance under the car is my biggest issue with doing major jobs at home. I don't have anywhere flat except one of my mate's garages to get it up on ramps and have it apart for a couple of days. Even then, single garages aren't quite wide enough to comfortably get gearboxes out from under a car.

Hence why I want a double garage when I buy a house :D

blair141

Idling at the Lights
First Name
blair
Drive
1996 galant vr4
i got all mine from bnt. i no the people at the whangarei branch so got a big discount. but watch out rrp for my cambelt was something like $430 and its not even hks!!!.

blair141

Idling at the Lights
First Name
blair
Drive
1996 galant vr4
yea thats my problem too. but weve just got a nu workshop and we wernt busy that day so i had the 2 post hoist. WAYYY easier.

blair141

Idling at the Lights
First Name
blair
Drive
1996 galant vr4
na i was trying to get hold of a camera but couldnt in time. but when someone is going to do it and start having trouble just ask cos may be able to help

Top Bottom