snapped cambelt

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
hey guys, unfortunatly i think my timing belt just broke, i was wondering what exactly happened to those it involved, so i can determine for fure it was the timing belt, the car is dead but im not 100 percent convinced that it is the timing belt, i can still turn the car over, the towy said it could be bad fuel but i have driven it for a couple of days with the fuel i put in it, any thoughts would be much appreciated, cheers

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
ok, i read post again, i had no violent sound of pistons and valves being damaged, i heard a single pop sound then the revs went real low and just slowly decreased to a hault, i tried turning the car over again but same thing happened, the car struggled to idle at all very low then cuts out. stupid but i tried it again, i had to to get on to tow truck, when i put it in gear it cut out instantly, the clock reads 80, 000 but not having paper work with the car who knows, it always idled and drove fine prior to this

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
^^^^

Hopefully its what Christian is saying, i had a similar problem about a year ago and it ended up being one of my inter-cooler pipes popped off.

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
radiator hoses or air intake hoses, maybe check em all aye, ok, unfortunatley its park

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
i didnt mean to post same reply , apolagise
okay, this would be awesome if thats all it it, funnily enough i have a timing belt on its way in the mail with a few other goodies

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
i think after this i owe it to the guys who who created this site to become a Premium Member, having no one to turn to when a car like this dies and not being very mechanically minded, its comforting to know there is people out there who generally share your concern for your your car

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Visual inspection is a good start. Significant chance it's something simple. Were you on boost when it happened? Accelerating? If it's turning over, firing then stalling, it's most likely nothing catastrophic like timing belt.

Be prepared to become mechanically minded or take it to a decent mechanic. Only person I'd trust to take my VR4 to in NSW would be @TME_Steve

Becoming a Premium Member helps keep this show on the road :) http://www.ozvr4.com/account/upgrades

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Justin, before shitting your pants of what it might be, gives us the lead up to the car not starting and we might have a better picture to be able to inform you where to start looking.

For example, went to start the car, it won't start after running fine previously.

Timing belts to break, if it has, there will be piston to valve contact and its highly likely the head is rooted at the very least. You'll probably looking at a new engine.

If however the car just won't start, id check the ignition cut sensor on the front cam cover. They have a tendency to just stop working, the car will crank but won't start.

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
I feel somewhat optimistic this morning, little hung over lol, first, how do u become a Premium Member?, I just showed my flat mate as he asked too, it still starts but dies instantly, the initial turning over of the engine doesn't sound any different, I'm late for work so I will discuss it more when I get home, thank u all again for your support

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I feel somewhat optimistic this morning, little hung over lol, first, how do u become a Premium Member?, I just showed my flat mate as he asked too, it still starts but dies instantly, the initial turning over of the engine doesn't sound any different, I'm late for work so I will discuss it more when I get home, thank u all again for your support

if it starts then dies suddenly, to me this indicates either

a. one of the charge pipes came off.. do a visual check, if its moving and it shouldn't be, double check, take photos and show us
b. your fuel pump is buste, just like what @whats_doing recently experienced..

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
ok guys i had a bit of a moment last nite, it turns out after checking the car when i got home that the intake manifold hose had split and all the other hose clamps were loose, only owning the car for a little while i thought this would all be good, im taking this experience to service the car completley and know that things will go wrong and its not the end of the world, all the piping in the engine bay is old and frayed, i have a timing belt on its way in the mail, i will accept any coments thrown at me as i caused a big fuss over a minor problem. I will however contact this TME_steve, is that he name i should look up?, considering my self luckyer than others i will put things in place to ensure my cars durability, thanks again for your imput

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
i did take a photo but dont know how to upload it, i will keep it for future referance tho, its a good example of how important air flow is to the car as it literally dies without it instantly, so embarrassed

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
MAF equipped cars don't take kindly to not knowing how much air they're consuming...

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
image.jpg
yeah it's hard to see, the rubber gasket has a split and being not completley tight, it was only a matter of time

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
MAF equipped cars don't take kindly to not knowing how much air they're consuming...

This was my first thought too... Unplugged / failed MAF or other unmeter air getting into the system

justin

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
justin
Drive
1999 legnum 2.5 auto
Yeah, I think replacing all piping is in order, it's frayed where clamps are, I should of just listened to u first up, 10 points to griffindore

Top Bottom