Snapped bolt - turbo to frony y-pipe

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Changed plugs today only to have the bolt holding the y-pipe to front turbo snap as i undid it, looks like it was stretched and then just snapped off when i undid it.

Any ideas, which dont involve removing the turbo to drill out the old bolt and tap a new thread??

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Your both idiots....

Use a dremel or similar tool with a really small cutting blade to make a new anchor point for a flat headed screw driver. If you can?

Picks might help with possible solutions.

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Your both idiots....

Use a dremel or similar tool with a really small cutting blade to make a new anchor point for a flat headed screw driver. If you can?

Picks might help with possible solutions.

Thought about that but the screw has snapped off too deeply.I'll try this screw extractor thing tomorrow, or get the old man to have a go (he's brilliant with this sort of thing, nothing he can't fix)

I need to drive it to work tomorrow, should be ok, yeah? As long as I don't drive on boost? I'm hoping the other two bolts will hold the y pipe in place enough...

G

Unregistered
The other bolts will hold it in place fine going by people having the same thing happen on CVR4

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i snapped the bolt on the rear turbo doing it back up, barely had any pressure on it at all. been driving for a couple of months now on 13psi and havent had a problem. it seems to be in there pretty bloody tight being held by the other bolts

snitz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
Toyota Cressida,GK Scorpion,VP Calais..2000 Legnum type S and a Rota project in the shed.
Soak it with WD40 or something similar first...I hate undoing bolts or doing them up cause I have torque wrench arms and always snap bolts..lol

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Steve is on the money. If you don't have any Easy Outs, borrow a dremel and create an anchor point. I've done that once and it worked well.
It's a bitch to sort out but can be done in half an hour. Wear some gloves while you're at it.

If you can't get it out just put put your tools down, take a deep breath, look at the oncoming traffic and thrust your hips towards them like hoooooooooo

hard_gay02.jpg

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
reverse drillbit? I thought if the head snaps off theres no tension anyway, should come out quite easy.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
dremmel a slot or braise on a small shaft and nut.

either way, soak it in degreaser/wd40 for a while, it might also help to heat up the surrounding to expand it and whilst cooling the bolt.

heat = expand
cool = shrink
combined = clearence

you may hav to remove the turbo to do this. might be a good chance to get them re-cond/serviced too

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
I can't dremel a new slit, the head's snapped off too deep in the bolt hole. Going round to the old man's today, he's good with this sort of stuff....

If he can't fix it, i'll just hold it together with vice grips till i can afford new turbros!

Top Bottom