Clicking noise

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Just had to remove and realign my steering wheel (Kamikaze seemed to think it would be a good idea to fit it with the front wheels turned to the right :mad:) so I had to disconnect the battery and leave it sit for a while as per Gly's guide on this site.

Did it first time, reconnected and was fine, although the wheel was still crooked so I had to do the process again. This time, after I had realigned the wheel and connected everything back up, there was a loud clicking noise from behind the dash (seemed to be coming from the climate control module) that went for 30-60 seconds after I started the car. Drove for a couple of minutes, turned it off, turned it back on and got the noise again. Took car home, turned it off and on, had the noise again, but this time it didn't go away. Turned the car off, disconnected and reconnected the battery (and tightened the negative terminal, it was a little loose) and started the car again. No noise!

Any idea what it might have been?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
clicking sounds like a relay of some sort?

how loose was the negative? wouldnt be a bad grounding?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Loose enough to just pull straight off without loosening the nut.

You might be onto something with the relay idea, it did sound a bit like that.

G

Unregistered
I would have been a relay most cars will do weird things if the negitive terminal is loose!!

G

Unregistered
yea i would say a relay.. does your horn work still?? cause if the clock spring is not aligned propely it can turn too much and snap..
when you align your clock spring read the yellow sticker on it and it tells you to turn the clock spring all the way clockwise then turn 3 3/4 turns anti clock wise and line it up with the mark on the clock spring..

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
yea i would say a relay.. does your horn work still?? cause if the clock spring is not aligned propely it can turn too much and snap..
when you align your clock spring read the yellow sticker on it and it tells you to turn the clock spring all the way clockwise then turn 3 3/4 turns anti clock wise and line it up with the mark on the clock spring..

yes probably related to the clock spring... didnt think of that!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
They do, yeah. Basically everything seems fine now, ever since I tightened the clamp.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
I've got the same prob, have had it since I pulled half the dash apart to install my alarm. It's there as soon as you turn the ignition to acc. It's a constant tick, almost light a metronome. however everything electrical appears to work fine........wierdness

G

Unregistered
i used to get a clicking noise come from my intake plenum area when i would turn the car off, just assumed it was alternator as its on the right to the back of the engine bay..

brent, the indicators are'nt connected to clock spring there is just 3 little knob things that turn when steering wheel turns..

tim good luck finding what the noise is and i hope its nothing bad..

sickvr4

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
i just started to get a clicking noise under my dash. in my case it appears to be the electric motor that controls the opening and closing of the vents for the aircon (i didn't see this for myself, but my mechanic was under there looking at it) - when it's unplugged, obviousy it doesn't make the noise, but when pluggeb in, the sound is almost like its slipping inside when trying to engage? the clicking stops after about 30 secs - a minute, and only starts again when the car is turned off, and switched back on again. anyone got a part number for this thing so i can replace it? or has someone had the same problem? not that i think it matters, but my car has mmcs.

cheers

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Haven't had or heard of the same problem, sounds a bit strange. Perhaps the teeth have worn away or something is stuck?

sickvr4

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
yeah, thats what we was thinking. wierd thing, it was never doing it before, but i left the car out of the garage to get to some stuff from the back, and it was in the sun for the day. my first thought was a relay, but apparently not.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
when my negative was loose the lights would flicker really dim, and the car would feel like it loses power for a split second.. would happen whenever i hit a bump and sometimes just randomly.. was so glad to find it was just a loose negative haha.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Mine is still doing this, exactly the same as problem as Paul has. Only occurs when the ambient temp is over 17 degrees, started the second time I had my steering wheel off.

I haven't tried that clock spring thing - I will when I can be bothered taking the wheel off again!

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Dredging up an old thread, but my car has just today started making a loud clicking noise from inside the dash. It happens on startup from the moment the ignition switch is turned to ACC, and remains on after engine start. Sounds like plastic clicking, and the only thing that makes it go away is driving in reverse fast enough to make the speedo move. Once it stops, it stays off until the next time I start the car.

Im going to go and check my horn, and the battery terminals.

The only work Ive done to the car recently is push some wires through the firewall on the drivers side. I haven't touched the battery or the steering wheel.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
wouldnt be air con fans getting stuck? or is it electrical/relay type sound?

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Dont think its the aircon, because it doesnt make a difference if the aircon is on, off, or just on blow. Could be a relay, but it sounds like a solid plasticky click. I'll try to record it.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I remeber similar symptoms being associated with a split plastic gear responsible for changing airflow between zones ie windscreen/feet etc.

Top Bottom