Clutch Recommendations and Questions

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
The auto to manual conversion on my legnum will be happenning in the next few weeks, so I have a few questions regarding clutches. I have never needed to buy a clutch before so I am a bit clueless.

Essentially I am asking if it is worth using the clutch that is in the half cut or buying a brand new one.

Here are my questions:

1. The half cut has done 109,000kms. Would it be safe to say the clutch in this would be the original?
  2. What is the normal lifespan of a clutch?
  3. Can you tell just by looking at it if its the original?
  4. Can you also tell by looking at it if it is well worn?
  5. What recommendations do people have for a brand new clutch?
  6. Do mitsubishi have an OEM one?
  7. Where do people recommend buying a clutch from?
  8. And how much should I be expecting to pay?

I dont need anything special, just a standard clutch basically. I wont be doing many hard launches or track work. As long as it lasts a long time, isnt too heavy on the foot (as it will see a lot of peak hour traffic) and doesnt cost too much

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Simon there are lots of threads on clutches, I Think people are generally tending towards a magna kit rather than the evo kit due to bellhousing clearance issues... have a search. But quick answers may be:
1. Most likely
2. Around 100k pending driving style, as little as 50k, whereas my dad got 210,000 in his 4x4
3. Yes, but I havent seen an original
4. Sure can - friction material will be low and discolouring if fubar'd
5. Search like I said,
6. Yes but dont bother, aftermarket will be cheaper and better
7. All Clutch and Brake in St Mary's or Adelaide Clutch Services in Wingfield.
8. $700 odd for the kit alone (I think?)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
5. i recommend (for daily driving) exedy sports organic for MAGNA, not evo, dont go exedy sports organic for evo what ever you do.

another option is a low kilometre oem clutch from an evo7-9. the oem clutch will fit, just you run the risk of buying second hand

8. PM me if you want one and ill get you a good price. autobarn quoted me 1200 for one...theyre dreaming.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Standard clutches are great for peak hour traffic. I went a couple of KM last night in peak hour traffic without using the brakes or the clutch once.

The problem with the standard clutch is that it wont handle launching. Even one launch can stuff it if you don't pull it off quite right. It also won't last long once you exceed around 180kW at the wheels.

If you don't want to increase the pedal weight (which is very light anyway) then you might want to look into what friction compounds are out there.

Personally, when I have to replace the clutch in the Legnum (at about 145,000KM at present) ill be looking into what I can get done in the way of re-lining the standard disk with a more aggressive (but not by too much) material.
I might even do that when I have to replace the twin plate in the Glalant.

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
Don't forget about custom jobs. Plenty of people have reported good results at relatively low prices.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
As my leggie is currently auto, I have no idea what the pedal weight is of the standard clutch. All I know is I used to have a lancer with a HD clutch and it was an absolute pain.
So if its just a little heavier than standard that should be fine.

So if I go the Evo 7-9 oem clutch, is there an off-the shelf spacer I need to buy or does it need to be fabricated?

When you guys mention prices for clutches, does this include the full kit (eg clutch bearing, pressure plate etc?)

Don't forget about custom jobs. Plenty of people have reported good results at relatively low prices.

How low is low? Im hoping to spend under $700 on the clutch if possible.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
standard clutch pedal is very very light

for those interested in a custom job (simons clutchmaker), my car is booked in to have it installed in just under 2 weeks so ill report how it goes in terms of pedal feel and how hard she bites

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
As stated, stock is very light, my Jim Berry Evo 8 with around 3400lbs (i think from memory) clamp is heavier, but in no way would I regard it as being heavy.
The stock Supra I looked at and test drove for Madhav was much heavier on the clutch.

The spacers are only needed if you use the evo flywheel. Use the stock flywheel, no spacers, bolt straight on.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
car is being driven to woop woop today for the clutch install tomorrow :) will report back on pedal feel/any issues etc with mine as soon as its in, but not how hard it bights just yet haha

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
I recently got a Exedy HD clutch for my car.
Kit was for an EVO.
Cost $1495 installed from Techsport.

It is awesome. Pedal is so light. Clutch bites and is just fine in peak hour traffic. Am yet to launch it as it is still bedding in but i have been told 4-5k launches shouldn't be a problem.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Does anyone have part numbers for:
Exedy HD for Evo
Exedy Sports Organic for Magna

These 2 clutches sound like the best option.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
KUDOS MOTORSPORT said:
Lancer Evolution 7 - 10 Kits

Standard Replacement
Exedy Standard Replacement - MBK-7420: $746.90

Heavy Duty Range
Exedy "Sports Tuff" Heavy Duty -MBK-7420HD: $860.20
x-click-but22.gif

Exedy "Sports Tuff" Heavy Duty Button - MBK-7420HDB: $1,034.00
Exedy "Sports Tuff" Heavy Duty Cushioned Button - MBK-7420HDCB: $1,076.90

Single Sports Range
Exedy "Sports Single" Sports Organic - MBK-7420SO: On Special $880.00
Exedy "Sports Single" Sports Ceramic - MBK-7420SC: On Special $1,100.00

stolen from kudos motorsport thread

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Its weird that the Evo sports organic scrapes and the HD one doesn't, they supposedly use the same housing just different clutch materials, getting a new clutch is stupidly confusing.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
this is turning into a nightmare. The clutch is in but is whining. upon comparison of my old clutch with an evo one its not the same size and apparently evo clutches dont fit and are too deep...hes going to take it for a drive and see whats what but so far hes said i need to buy the right clutch to be put in which i definitely cant afford atm.

i thought that evo clutches are supposed to fit?

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
the car cant be driven. exactly how much is supposed to come off the flywheel in order for them to fit? he said theyve skimmed it but it wasnt really too worn at all, put it all back together and it doesnt work.

to take it apart again to take the risk of skimming it further to make it work im looking at another 800 in labour. being a poor student ftl, this has really put me in trouble

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
evo cluches bolt to the flywheel

but, they are too thick. (concerning sport organic ones)

the extra strength in these come from a chunkier clutch cover

Macca, to avoid the confusion, buy the magna sports organic OR hav your standard one rebuilt. it'll only take a few hours for NPC to do it, so worst case senario, your legnum-less for 2days. my rebiult clutch is great. loves 5k launches and isn't savage one bit

Buckas, what clutch did you buy? wasn't simon's clutch dude making you one?

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
yeh he has and the guys at all-star in perth have chucked it on, bolted everything back together and have now discovered that it doesnt fit. apparently i didnt stress to them that it was an evo clutch, not a legnum clutch so they chucked it in without checking differences first.

if they pull it all apart again and take more off the flywheel should it all work? damn labour rates...

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
can't say sorry, with mine, i trade my evo clutch + 100 for a rebiuld rather then mucking round with machining the flywheels too much

(flywheels are usually steel, which has be heat treated for strength so removing too much off the face can remove the heat treating and make the flywheel weak)

gues you can leave it on it it grinds itself down or fork out the money for more labour and modying the current/new clutch

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I hadnt considered getting my clutch rebuilt.
Does anyone know roughly how much this will cost?
And any recommendations for anyone to do this in Adelaide?
What are the rough specs I need to provide for how I would want it to be rebuilt (eg whatever will make it a similar clutch to the Exedy HD for Evo or Exedy Sports Organic for Magna?

Top Bottom