unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
should cost about 600-1000 dollars depends on who what and when

tell them you want the coverplate to be around a 150% increase over stock and similar to the evedy stuff. and a new friction plate, an evo one will fit, so you can choose anything you like, sports organic, 4 puck, 6 puck etc

mine cost 800, took 3 hours to make, so you could nearly get it all done in one day if the shop (or you) knows your stuff

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
yeh he has and the guys at all-star in perth have chucked it on, bolted everything back together and have now discovered that it doesnt fit. apparently i didnt stress to them that it was an evo clutch, not a legnum clutch so they chucked it in without checking differences first.

if they pull it all apart again and take more off the flywheel should it all work? damn labour rates...

So did they just make the clutch disk or did they make up the housing too?

I wonder if you could get them to build a housing too or if they just do the clutch disk. They would probably have to use a Magna clutch housing wouldn't they? Don't imagine they would have any spare VR4 clutch housings sitting around

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
any recommendations of where to take it to get rebuilt in adelaide?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I have heard reasonable things about All Clutch and Brake in St Mary's.
Adelaide Clutch Services at Wingfield may be another option, though haven't heard much of them apart from supplying new at reasonable prices.
Kent Brake and Clutch on Port Rd have good rep for reasonable priced brakes, not sure about clutch.

But there's a few options.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
For those following,

My clutch maker has contacted exedy who now stock cover plates vr4's, which weren't available when we started all this. They have pretty much the same clamp load as the evo ones. The cover plate is being sent over to be swapped with the evo one so once again I should be able to report on how a custom clutch goes soon

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
So Exedy make a VR4 clutch kit now? Woo Hoo, that will make things s#%t loads easier. What types do they make?

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
not sure, im just using the cover plate then all the other parts from the evo cover that we had made up. so still cost $770 for the custom option with vr4 cover

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Id say its probably the magna clutch cover. Let us know how you get on.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
yeh well see what it is, apparently its listed as the vr4 clutch for the 6a13tt and definitely wasnt there as an option when we were first looking into options

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
I have an Exeedy HD button clutch but some weird one as it is not heavy on the pedal - great clutch but i would not recommend any button clutch as you loose allot of drivability, especially in heavy traffic – you cannot just relax as there is so little play in between grip and no grip = im talking like 1 cm of pedal movement.

On the other hand the button plate can be rebuttoned for mare $120 thus you do not have to buy a clutch every time so it is much cheaper and you get loads of customer support from exeedy.

- it is still easy to drive for me but as for my GF well i was really scared when i had a few tinnies too many and she had to drive the car home from the city.

One thing against HD clutches that i have is that you loose a bit of safety ie i used to have a GTIR and would launch it hard every time and thus i ruined the gearbox but if i would have had a standard one more likely i would have ruined the clutch as it would have not gripped and thus might have saved the gearbox and as we know gearbox is more expensive than a clutch.

Thus it is personal choice mate but if you do want to give it to them commonwhores of the lights or take it to the track you will need HD clutch
Hope this helps to make up your mind

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
the custom clutch is finally in and i can report pedal feel is just like stock, very easy to drive still which was my main goal being such a daily.

I'll see how hard she bites after it beds in a bit

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Sweet man, good to hear your back on the road. Will be good to see how you go.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
the custom clutch is finally in and i can report pedal feel is just like stock, very easy to drive still which was my main goal being such a daily.
I'll see how hard she bites after it beds in a bit

how much did it end up costing you? And did you need to provide your old clutch? Did it come with all the other bits that you get in a clutch kit?

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
this is whats in there (email i got back):

You should go for a Cushioned ceramic plate to keep the pedal effort down, therefore cost would be:
$774.00 inc GST For the kit,
New Cover Assy 950kg - currently 650kg + Cushioned ceramic plate + Release bearing. Should hardly feel the difference on the pedal.
You will need to have your flywheel Surface Ground on a flywheel grinding machine - NOTHING else, or you will not get a good result!
All available at the moment except the plate . Parts should be available soon for the plate.

except obviously its now the vr4 cover in there, all others are the same.

So yeh, $770 for the clutch and then had i had the correct cover it was $770 again for installation at a WA workshop.

Didnt need to provide another clutch, I told Simon's maker what I wanted to use the car for (daily with more abuse and the occassional drag and launch), current power figures and i stressed retaining a light pedal, then he shipped it off for me. Tell him its for a VR4 and he'll get you the correct cover now!!

Not bagging the sports organic guys, but i've tried it in Esemte and Mills_88 cars and it was pretty heavy, Madhav's ACT was better and mine is much lighter than all of them

edit: yes pauly i think i divided by zero when i copy pasted, but cbf changing it :p

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
LOL

good to hear your back on the road, clutches are the worst screw around

ralliart81

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Carlo
Drive
(Old Cars : Ralliart TJ Magna , Evolution 9 ) Current Car: Nissan 180sx (VCT Blacktop)
Hey Guys

FYI ,

Mitsubishi Legnums & VR4 Galant Sedan

Both Running the TJ Series Mitsubishi Magna Kit , MBK-7223 But is recommended that you purchase the Heavy Duty Version !!

EXEDY Sports Tuff - MBK-7223HD

I've done indepth research on this Kit ,

I'm also the QLD Sales Rep for EXEDY Australia , In conjuction with EXEDY Japan Cross Over's The Clutch Plate & Cover Assy Is the Exact Part Numbers for the EC5A & EC5W Same as
(TJ Series Magan)

If anyone has any Inquires , I am more then happy to help just PM me , Or email Me .

Cheers

Carlo Calzuola
Sales Representitive
ccalzuola@exedy.com.au
EXEDY QLD 4009
www.exedy.com.au

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
So what are the clamping pressures and differences between the Evo ones and the ones you have stated above(7223)?

Top Bottom