Clutch Recommendations and Questions

ralliart81

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Carlo
Drive
(Old Cars : Ralliart TJ Magna , Evolution 9 ) Current Car: Nissan 180sx (VCT Blacktop)
So what are the clamping pressures and differences between the Evo ones and the ones you have stated above(7223)?

Macca the Evo 7-9 Heavy Duty & Single Sports Series ( Eg; Sports Organic Kits) , Will have a increased Clamp Load To the TJ Magna Series Heavy Duty Kits.

As all our Heavy Duty & Single Sports Series Evo Kits Will run the Same Pressure Plate (Cover Assy) Pull type, Anti Burst, Stage 1

Its very interesting to see other members recommending the MBK-7420 Kits From the Evo 7 to 9 .

I don't have my conversion book , handy but will check first thing monday morning , I want to measure the PCD Bolt up on Cover to Flywheel of VR4 to EVO !

Also the Cover Assy Heights , An Pull type Bearing Cuplink , Making sure it all works together correctly !

Plus the Crank Bolt up on the EVO 7 to 9 Simplier to the EC5A & EC5W ? as we haven't come across a VR4 flywheel as yet so i couldn't compare !

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
this has been discovered from my mechanic: The evo cover is a direct bolt up to the vr4 flywheel but the cover height is 4mm higher.

there are mixed reports from them, some people have no problems, others have grinding noises and then like myself where it wouldnt even disengage.

so mine is just a magna kit, not a vr4 cover? The clutch maker researching it for me said that the clamp load for the one thats in there currently was very similar to the evo cover plate of 950kg. can you confirm this? or should i not be launching so hard

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Macca the Evo 7-9 Heavy Duty & Single Sports Series ( Eg; Sports Organic Kits) , Will have a increased Clamp Load To the TJ Magna Series Heavy Duty Kits.

As all our Heavy Duty & Single Sports Series Evo Kits Will run the Same Pressure Plate (Cover Assy) Pull type, Anti Burst, Stage 1

Its very interesting to see other members recommending the MBK-7420 Kits From the Evo 7 to 9 .

I don't have my conversion book , handy but will check first thing monday morning , I want to measure the PCD Bolt up on Cover to Flywheel of VR4 to EVO !

Also the Cover Assy Heights , An Pull type Bearing Cuplink , Making sure it all works together correctly !

Plus the Crank Bolt up on the EVO 7 to 9 Simplier to the EC5A & EC5W ? as we haven't come across a VR4 flywheel as yet so i couldn't compare !

So would the clamping force for the magna clutch be enough for the power and torque of the VR4? Not that it puts out a lot of both but it puts out more than a Magna.

So would the magna clutch be sufficient for our car?

ralliart81

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Carlo
Drive
(Old Cars : Ralliart TJ Magna , Evolution 9 ) Current Car: Nissan 180sx (VCT Blacktop)
Mitsubishi Magna Peak Torque Standard is 313 N·m (231 ft·lbf) of torque

Mitsubishi Legnum Peak Torque Standard is 367 N·m (271 lb·ft)

EXEDY Heavy Duty Kit (Sports Tuff) MBK-7223HD Peak Torque Rating is 522.75 N.m (386 lb.ft) & 353hp (263kw) At the Flywheel

This kit would be a ideal option for mild upgrades ,

It has a Light Pedal Effort , As they change where the Diaphram pivots on the Pressure Plate Casting , Giving it the Extra Clamp without Making the Pedal Heavy !!

It will run a OEM Replacement Organic Clutch Plate & Throw out bearing . Perfect For Street Use ! Will Operate an Feel like a Standard Clutch !

Any other question's feel free to ask

cheers

kymbo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kym
Drive
98 Galant, S14A 200SX, GC Galant
there are mixed reports from them, some people have no problems, others have grinding noises and then like myself where it wouldnt even disengage.

I was talking to steve knight not long ago and he was saying that whats happened with some peoples grinding and others not is that the evo 7 pressure plate was actually lower than the 8/9's but recently they've changed the 7's to the same height as the 8/9's

ralliart81

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Carlo
Drive
Thats True We had a Listing Of a Replacement Kit For the Evo 7 that was a Different Part Number , I checked this morning !

But All Evo's From 7 to 9 run the Same Kit Now , MBK-7420

And also The MBK-7223HD kit Is The OEM Aftermarket Replacement , No Need To Modify , (Direct Replacement)

Feel free guys to contact me (ccalzuola@exedy.com.au) an i can forward u onto our distributors local to your area Australia Wide !

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Thats True We had a Listing Of a Replacement Kit For the Evo 7 that was a Different Part Number , I checked this morning !

But All Evo's From 7 to 9 run the Same Kit Now , An is Not recommended to use !

And also The MBK-7223 kit Is The OEM Aftermarket Replacement , No Need To Modify , (Direct Replacement)

Feel free guys to contact me (ccalzuola@exedy.com.au) an i can forward u onto our distributors local to your area Australia Wide !

Just about to invest in a new clutch myself,
So MBK-7223HD is definitely recommended over MBK-7420HD cool.

ralliart81

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Carlo
Drive
Just about to invest in a new clutch myself,
So MBK-7223HD is definitely recommended over MBK-7420HD cool.

Hey Chris

MBK-7223HD is the correct kit yes ,

Please let me know when you want to purchase one and i will refer you to our distributors local to you .

Just send me a email : ccalzuola@exedy.com.au

kind regards

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Would there be any benefit to going for a cushioned button over a HD or would you just loose drivability? how much does the cushioned buttons effect drivability? How much stronger are they compared to the normal HD clutch?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Hey Chris

MBK-7223HD is the correct kit yes , Please disregard the recommended Evo 7420HD kits !

Please let me know when you want to purchase one and i will refer you to our distributors local to you .

Just send me a email : ccalzuola@exedy.com.au

kind regards

Thanks Carlo, my mechanic (www.cypherindustries.com.au) will be sourcing the parts on my behalf and I've provided them with the correct part number.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I purchased an ACT clutch kit off ebay like this and the spacer with bolts from Nick Mann along with a like new evo flywheel off a member on one of the local Aussie forums (paid $20) and the clutch was perfect for my application. Handles very high horsepower while still retaining exceptional drivability and at a cost which almost no aussie retailers can match.

If you don't believe me that the ACT clutch is highly rated see this post on the evo forums, the figures speak for themselves.

ralliart81

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Carlo
Drive
I've been speaking to one of our distributors in Brisbane

NPC Performance Clutch's

They do not recommend the Evo 7 to 9 kit , bolting up to the Legnum Flywheel . As it cause the cover assy to rub an hit on the bellhousing .

They do have Custom Evolution 6 Sports Organic Kits With Flywheel to suit . That work Fantastic !!!

The Flywheel suit's both bolt up options of the Pull Type Cover & Push Type Cover

As he has come across some legnum's being converted to the push type cover with a OS Giken kit from japan !

Kit is Rated to 260kw @ all Four !

People that are interested in this style of kit .

Should contact NPC Performance Clutche's

http://www.npcperformance.com.au/

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
i hav a clutch that NPC biult me one for like 800 bucks. works perfectly

just ring them and tell them you need a clutch for a legnum vr4 with a 2.5L v6 adn they'll biuld you the perfect clutch

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Do you mind if I quote your post on Club VR-4?

Members Recommending the MBK-7420HD , SO , HDCB, HDB , is Incorrect !!

There is no need for modification !! Members & Workshops may have made the kit fit ! BUT IS NOT THE CORRECT OEM Replacement !

I've worked closely with exedy japan ! Exedy is the OE Supplier to all Mitsubishi Made Vehicle's , From the Factory !

Direct Replacement Kit is the MBK-7223HD , Yes Mitsubishi Australia Use this kit in the TJ Series Magna's , But is also the Original Equipment From Factory for All Mitsubishi EC5A & EC5W

Kind Regards

ralliart81

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Carlo
Drive

just ring them and tell them you need a clutch for a legnum vr4 with a 2.5L v6 adn they'll biuld you the perfect clutch

Thats fantastic to hear Paul ,

NPC is without a doubt one of the best . Service, Knowledge, & Product

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive

What are the ratings on it? Is it the whole kit or just the clutch disk?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
new cover plate and new organic disk, the cover plate has like a 160ish% increase over standard and can handle anything a 'stock turbo'ed' 6a13 can throw at it

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Would there be any benefit to going for a cushioned button over a HD or would you just loose drivability? how much does the cushioned buttons effect drivability? How much stronger are they compared to the normal HD clutch?

I'm interested in the answer to this also, persumably this would be the MBK-7223HDCB.

ralliart81

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Carlo
Drive
Refering from the Clubvr4 Forum !

A Member mentioned that the evo 7-9 cover height is the same as the vr4 .
And does not cause rubing on the bellhousing .
___________________________________________________________________________________
FYI Guys !

I've attached photo's of both the Evo 7 - 9 Cover & VR4 Legnum EC5W / Galant EC5A Cover .

You can see there is a difference in height - By 4mm

i have been told that some workshops get around this by machining down the flywheel to suit the evo7-9 cover .

That regards to the MBK-7420HD , SO Kits

Now this so far is refering to the australian market ,
As i have no idea what UK, and NZ workshops have fabricated to get around this an use evolution 7 - 9 clutch kits without having issues.

Yes there are spacers an mod's out there from various fabricators .
To suit this kit for higher horse powered VR4 Galants & Legnums

Its totally upto you guys witch way you want to go with Purchase's of the kit in general .

I'm just here to pass on some info , That has been very helpfull for the Aussie Market .

Inregards to the legnums & Galants
EvoVsVR4CoverHeight1 copy.jpg
EvoVsVR4CoverHeight2 copy.jpg

EvoVsVR4CoverHeight3 copy.jpg

EvoVsVR4CoverHeight4 copy.jpg

Top Bottom