Clutch Recommendations and Questions

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Anyone had any issues with excedy hd clutch for our cars? Installed one when i did the manual conversion. Did about 800km before I opened it up then still drove it fairly tamed and didnt really rev it till bout 1400km when went on a lil mountain run where I noticed it slipping under full boost at bout 4000rpm so I backed off and took it easier... I also adjusted clutch peddle as if felt like it wasnt dis engauging properly, after adjustment seemed fine untill recently at the cruise for charity on queensland raceway it felt like it was slipping again and I could smell alot of clutch that was at 2400km since install... Has anyone else has issues with these clutches? Also how much power can be run with this clutch before it cant handle anymore? Since manual conversion the power gain was unbelievable so guessing its running 190-200kw but uncertain untill I get it on the dyno one day
My clutch (excedy hd) has started to slip not even 1000km on it. Starts letting go at 3500rpm. Really odd as Steve has had his for 100,000 running high power for that whole time. HE's going to talk to Excedy hopefully tomorrow and get replacement

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I spoke to TJ too, turns out his had a clutch pedal issue but with that fixed still not right....

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
It seems there are a lot of people having trouble with their Exedy clutches.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
My 7223 hd has held up fine since install a couple thousand km ago.

evo-gsr

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jamo
Drive
Legnum And Evo
So....the consensus says go with the 7223HD ?

Anyone know the rough going rate for the above?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I'm looking into something slightly stronger atm, the exedy clutches are 700 or so from memory

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Totally agree, the NPC clutches are great. Mine has suffered through a track day and a few reasonably hard launches and still going strong.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
since my post above I pulled my gearbox out and my suspicions were correct. About a week after I bought my car I got a full face organic hd clutch put in it, just handed the car over and got it back with a new clutch.... Now mine was the first clutch that place did in a VR4 and since then they've done probably 20 or so, but all of those have been exedy hd or npc. But I thought mine was custom built from this and that. Now exedy are pink, npc are purple, but mine is black = custom. So i'm gonna talk to them about replicating mine or better again. I think it has an evo 7-9 organic friction plate but my pedal feels a lot heavier than a 7223 so i'm guessing I have 1400 ish kg clamp force as opposed to the 950 our so on the exedy....

Will let you know

(and no I didn't pull the gearbox out just to find this out, I could have just looked through the inspection hole to do that.... Before anyone says....)

evo-gsr

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jamo
Drive
Legnum And Evo
How much do the NPC clutch kits sell for and where do you guys get them?

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Exedy isn't always pink and is sometimes silver. Black seems to be often custom evo jobbies as you say though.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Flywheel bolts and loctite?? Do people recommend the use of loctite and if so what type??

I have some 480 which is the black stuff for metal to metal amongst other things but wondered if there was a special purpose this loctite performs other than simply ensuring the bolts stay tight that may make 480 unsuitable.

Top Bottom