Clutch Recommendations and Questions

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Yeah I'm curious how much the NPCs cost, sounds like a better option than a 7223HD at this point. Is it a whole brand new dealio or a 'rebuild'?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Yeah I'm curious how much the NPCs cost, sounds like a better option than a 7223HD at this point. Is it a whole brand new dealio or a 'rebuild'?

im going full NPC soon.. so we'll find out soon enough I guess...

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
NPC is a full brand new clutch and cost around a little under $700 when I bought mine a couple years ago. I liked the feel of it but cant really comment on how much abuse it takes, only got to do a couple thousand kms on mine before I got hit.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
The NPC clutches are pretty good, I don't know about launches but they seem like a strong unit, all parts are brand new and if you want something stronger send them an email and ask them. They seem happy to do anything you want.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Mad. 7-800ish is a reasonable price for a proven custom clutch. Cheers!

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Year 2000 EA5A => FL EC5A
evo cluches bolt to the flywheel

but, they are too thick. (concerning sport organic ones)

the extra strength in these come from a chunkier clutch cover

Macca, to avoid the confusion, buy the magna sports organic OR hav your standard one rebuilt. it'll only take a few hours for NPC to do it, so worst case senario, your legnum-less for 2days. my rebiult clutch is great. loves 5k launches and isn't savage one bit

Buckas, what clutch did you buy? wasn't simon's clutch dude making you one?

Hi Paul, Any idea of OEM vr4 clutch thickness? and your rebuilt clutch thickness? I am interested in rebuilding the clutch using akebono friction plate material but dont know what the thickness specification. perhaps you know the exact number, plz tell me

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
"BTW Is it okay to use OEM Evo 8 friction plate (MR567361 / MR980945) + VR4 OEM pressure plate + OEM VR4 flywheel"

there's no point using an evo 8 friction plate with an oem pressure plate...as exedy HD clutch for our cars simply use a modifed oem/factory pressure plate with a factory mitsubishi oem pressure plate/clutch disc (exedy make the clutches for mitsubishis)

you're better off pairing the OEM evo 8 friction plate with a proper aftermarket pressure mate (not modified one as they last longer). For example the xtreme 6a13 pressure plate used for the 6a13 clutch kit made in Australia.

Just installed a extreme 5 puck dics on a galant with evo flywheel and cover. but the extreme pressure plate is just a stock exedy/daiken cover but painted purple.
so using a stock evo disc with an extreme cover is the same as using the evo disc with the stock cover.
your best off getting a genuine jap HD cover for an evo. (the silver painted ones) linked below
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/mitsubishi/clutches/auction-508981270.htm
+ your choice of clutch disc for your application organic/kevlar/cerametallic puck/carbon
in combination with an evo flywheel (1 piece instead of 2 with the rubbish flex plate we have stock) with one of the flywheel spacers sold on ClubVR4 by nickmann

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
NPC just quoted me $880 for a custom made cushioned button clutch adapted from an evo9 capable of up to 350kw. I was told it's impossible to spot the difference compared to a HD organic.

tom__

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tom
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Have a NPC flywheel and Evo sports organic clutch on its way. Look forward to seeing what its like.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Post up some pictures of the flywheel when you get it, if you don't mind. You will have to tell us how it goes.

shaqdaddy91

Crunching Gears
First Name
Shanil
Drive
98 Vr4 Galant
I ordered a lightweight flywheel as well and it also didnt fit. apparently theres none left in the country for your cars. On a side note, I have the custom NPC clutch installed and I can vouch for it. Awesome kit.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Some of you will remember this pic from my engine rebuild thread. This is from NPC but it's an Excedy clutch with MBC 595 on the pressure plate. I used the OEM flywheel, just reground. No issues. Was about $650
file-1.jpg

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
flywheel doesn't fit

How doesn't it fit? If its an Evo flywheel, did you buy that adapter plate off that guy from CVR4?

EDIT: Never mind, I just realised what was going on in the second picture :p if you spin that little plate will the holes line up, the spacing between bolts is different and that plate only fits on one way.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Anyone had any issues with excedy hd clutch for our cars? Installed one when i did the manual conversion. Did about 800km before I opened it up then still drove it fairly tamed and didnt really rev it till bout 1400km when went on a lil mountain run where I noticed it slipping under full boost at bout 4000rpm so I backed off and took it easier... I also adjusted clutch peddle as if felt like it wasnt dis engauging properly, after adjustment seemed fine untill recently at the cruise for charity on queensland raceway it felt like it was slipping again and I could smell alot of clutch that was at 2400km since install... Has anyone else has issues with these clutches? Also how much power can be run with this clutch before it cant handle anymore? Since manual conversion the power gain was unbelievable so guessing its running 190-200kw but uncertain untill I get it on the dyno one day

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
No issues with at least 3 cars that have them, that I've been involved with, and all those cars made 190+ on a mainline dyno....

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I'm making 184KW from memory and they only way I have managed to get it to slip is dumping it brutally in 4th. Other than that very impressed.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Hmm something must no be 100% right with mine then.. Any recommendations on wat the check peddle feels good, fluid level hasnt changed, leaver seemed to activate ok with sufficiant travel when we did the conversion but havnt checked it since... Should I do a fluid flush already? Dont no how long the conversion was sitting without fluid in it untill it got shipped over so could have anything in the line could possibly cause clutch to ride a lil untill pressure releases back to master cylinder.. Or even slave? Hmm

It hasnt happened any other time that ive given it a lil but I was driving her pretty hard on the track

Top Bottom