Clutch Recommendations and Questions

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I don't suppose that means you have a spare flywheel around by any chance?

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Thanks for the feedback on the Xtreme clutch!

Here's the Evo flywheel adapter:
scaled.php

Picked up a second hand evo flywheel for $120, just need to get it machined ($50) and then I plan to get an MBK-7420HD kit from Exedy which is the evo clutch kit. People in the UK have had a lot of success with this so trying that route.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
I don't suppose that means you have a spare flywheel around by any chance?

nah soz mate, had the face machined and it went straight back in....

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
You could try price up a standard one, otherwise you could get a flywheel adapter like I did from Nick Mann on CVR4

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I kinda don't want a spacer, I would rather keep things in as few pieces as possible.

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
So after trawling through this thread I have come to the conclusion that the 7223HD is light on the pedal.

Can some one confirm this? I don't want to be breaking my leg in my weekend cruiser.

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
So after trawling through this thread I have come to the conclusion that the 7223HD is light on the pedal.

Can some one confirm this? I don't want to be breaking my leg in my weekend cruiser.

Confirmed. fitted 7223HD Exedy 1.5 years ago. As light as stock pedal, if not slightly lighter.
dont forget to machine the existing flywheel!

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Confirmed. fitted 7223HD Exedy 1.5 years ago. As light as stock pedal, if not slightly lighter.
dont forget to machine the existing flywheel!

7223HD was pretty light in the Magna.

7420HD + evo flywheel is a bit less light but it doesn't bother be at all, noticable when I get in other cars though.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Year 2000 EA5A => FL EC5A
Refering from the Clubvr4 Forum !

A Member mentioned that the evo 7-9 cover height is the same as the vr4 .
And does not cause rubing on the bellhousing .
___________________________________________________________________________________
FYI Guys !

I've attached photo's of both the Evo 7 - 9 Cover & VR4 Legnum EC5W / Galant EC5A Cover .

You can see there is a difference in height - By 4mm

i have been told that some workshops get around this by machining down the flywheel to suit the evo7-9 cover .

That regards to the MBK-7420HD , SO Kits

Now this so far is refering to the australian market ,
As i have no idea what UK, and NZ workshops have fabricated to get around this an use evolution 7 - 9 clutch kits without having issues.

Yes there are spacers an mod's out there from various fabricators .
To suit this kit for higher horse powered VR4 Galants & Legnums

Its totally upto you guys witch way you want to go with Purchase's of the kit in general .

I'm just here to pass on some info , That has been very helpfull for the Aussie Market .

Inregards to the legnums & Galants

Sorry I found out the MBK7223HD use friction plate part number MBD073

http://eshop.supergt.com.hk/preview/eng/detail.php?pid=CDEXEC5A only $800 HKD.

The MBK7223HD pressure plate is expensive i suppose.

I want to replace my clutch and i am going to stay with OEM clutch system meant for VR4, there fore I have in mind that I am going to buy:

1. Exedy OEM replacement at this link

http://eshop.supergt.com.hk/preview/...p?pid=CCEXEC5A

2. OEM friction plate MD748527 at this link

http://eshop.supergt.com.hk/preview/...id=CDMZCM9A240

Thats a lot cheaper for me

BTW Is it okay to use OEM Evo 8 friction plate (MR567361 / MR980945) + VR4 OEM pressure plate + OEM VR4 flywheel?

I found out the Evo 8 friction plate a lot more interesting than the MD748527 in no.2 above with a bit higher price

check this out:

http://eshop.supergt.com.hk/preview/...p?pid=CDMZCT9A

any respond will be appreciated

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
that does seem cheap, like $300 for a clutch, wonder how much freight would be? labor is pretty expensive on a clutch install though, so I dont think I would bother with OEM.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
that does seem cheap, like $300 for a clutch, wonder how much freight would be? labor is pretty expensive on a clutch install though, so I dont think I would bother with OEM.

you say that but you get all sorts of interesting problems with aftermarket clutches.

depends how you drive i guess.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
you say that but you get all sorts of interesting problems with aftermarket clutches.

depends how you drive i guess.

Could not agree more Trent, EVo 8 clutch kit full replacement is pain in the ass for me, $800 USD for part only? wow, it must be hurt, although labor cost is cheap in jakarta, about $100 USD. beside i just wanna reach 1 bar boost, 1,2 bar boost max. my friend said oem replacement able to hold that boost thou.

BTW how about plastic part, just let me buy it.

Ernz1981

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ernz
Drive
1997 Galant VR4
"BTW Is it okay to use OEM Evo 8 friction plate (MR567361 / MR980945) + VR4 OEM pressure plate + OEM VR4 flywheel"

there's no point using an evo 8 friction plate with an oem pressure plate...as exedy HD clutch for our cars simply use a modifed oem/factory pressure plate with a factory mitsubishi oem pressure plate/clutch disc (exedy make the clutches for mitsubishis)

you're better off pairing the OEM evo 8 friction plate with a proper aftermarket pressure mate (not modified one as they last longer). For example the xtreme 6a13 pressure plate used for the 6a13 clutch kit made in Australia.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
"BTW Is it okay to use OEM Evo 8 friction plate (MR567361 / MR980945) + VR4 OEM pressure plate + OEM VR4 flywheel"

there's no point using an evo 8 friction plate with an oem pressure plate...as exedy HD clutch for our cars simply use a modifed oem/factory pressure plate with a factory mitsubishi oem pressure plate/clutch disc (exedy make the clutches for mitsubishis)

you're better off pairing the OEM evo 8 friction plate with a proper aftermarket pressure mate (not modified one as they last longer). For example the xtreme 6a13 pressure plate used for the 6a13 clutch kit made in Australia.

I knew, but i think evo 8 friction plate better than the stock as it has a bit higher rate spring damper. as for exedy MBK7223HD pressure plate is very expensive and not an option for me because its better to replace the whole stock clutch system into Evo 8 OEM clutch kit + flywheel converter. the price would be more or less the same but offer hassle free part up grade. Just my 2 cent

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
didnt realise you were in jakarta, with those sort of labor rates installing a cheap clutch makes alot of sense. You could do 2 complete clutch installs for the price of a single clutch.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
anyone got the NPC clutch/fly combo? how is it? how much was it?

tom__

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tom
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
Can you fit an evo sports organic friction plate MD14E with MBK-7223HDCB pressure plate.

Top Bottom