Clutch Recommendations and Questions

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
MEEK want to fit the restrictorless line when they install my clutch, should i ask them not to?
Also, the pink is going by Exedy, just seems everything on the sportstuff range has a pink pressure plate.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
MEEK want to fit the restrictorless line when they install my clutch, should i ask them not to?
Also, the pink is going by Exedy, just seems everything on the sportstuff range has a pink pressure plate.

I think it is only to make bleeding easier. If someone else is doing the job for you, i would leave it fitted.

Looking thru some threads, some people have regretted it..

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Regretted removing it? How come?

Some people said it gave the clutch a button kind of feel and took away the softness of the clutch. I also read that someone was having troubles with the friction point but i suspect that was not bled correctly.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
At worst just ask for them to give you the old one, so you can refit it if necessary, i doubt its a hard job.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
yeah i think MEEK give you th old parts back, or atleast they gave me the old tensioner and belt back after my 100km service.. Like you said, worst case i can have it refitted by my old mechanic who works on my laser.

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
Well have checked my Freeplay but no dramas there, clutch is always taking up fairly close to the floor.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Freeplay I am talking about is top freeplay, not bottom.

When the clutch is its normal position. push on it gently with your hand.. should be a bit of relatively free movement before you can feel the stronger action.

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
Just spoke to exedy it is possible to be hd clutch kit but I still don't think thats whats in my car.Might be a waste if time and energy fighting with hills over it, think I'll just throw it on a hoist on Monday and get a hdcb and fit that up, anyone know if you can get lightweight flywheels for our cars?

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
Lolll trent sorry I've been so busy today at work my heads fried. Yep there's freeplay before I get a pedal

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Does anyone else have the HDCB (cussioned) kit fitted, what's it like? I've heard people basically say they definately wouldn't recommend it.

In my magna the 7223HD was killer, I know it was a bit less powerful and only had 2 wheels to drive but it had 100% bite, every time.

I would be asking Exedy, even if it is a 7223HD, thats recommend by your reps on this forum, why is it slipping? 4th/5th slip is just crap.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Regarding lightened flywheel, read back earlier in the thread was not recommended by someone that fitted it.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I also read that someone was having troubles with the friction point but i suspect that was not bled correctly.

I'm pretty sure that was Rob (twisted32) and he still had the damper when he was having that problem.

You don't have to get exedy stuff, you can alwas get a clutch made up by NPC. I should be getting mine in the mail any day now. It's a 7223 housing with heavy duty evo 9 internals.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Just spoke to exedy it is possible to be hd clutch kit but I still don't think thats whats in my car.Might be a waste if time and energy fighting with hills over it, think I'll just throw it on a hoist on Monday and get a hdcb and fit that up, anyone know if you can get lightweight flywheels for our cars?
NPC have flywheels

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Apparently lightened flywheels are no good for VR4's because they drop a bit of high end torque. I can't comment on my experience because I have never owned a lightened flywheel, I'm just repeating what someone else said.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
As Craig mentioned, I was having issues with my friction point changing with a 5 puk carbonetic disk and Evo 8 HD pressure plate from Jim Berry. I since changed to an organic full face disk and removed the dampner. I have so much more feel in the clutch now, and the friction point does not seem to change (although it is a lot harder to tell since the clutch is not as on/off as before). I wish I had simply removed the dampner with the 5 puk, I think it would have been 10x better. When it starts slipping, I am going to just put the 5 puk disk back in.
So in short, I highly recommend removing the dampner.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Thought having a light weight flywheel is good, as long as its not too light..

It's a trade off. Light fly wheel means it revs faster but looses top end torque. Heavier flywheel means it takes more to get it going but once it does it keeps going giving you better torque.

That's why they have duel mass flywheels. I believe their purpose is to give you what you want when you need it.

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
I don't understand, how could your engine produce LESS or more torque for that matter, by adding or removing weight from the crankshaft? Doesn't make sense, a lightweight flywheel simply removes rotating mass from the flywheel so the crank can physically spin up quicker IMO.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Because the flywheel also has momentum energy, not just from the engine. If you roll a basketball and a bowling ball down a hill, the basketball will get a head start but the bowling ball will catch up, roll faster and be harder to slow down. Same goes for the weight in a flywheel.

Top Bottom