Coilovers - who, what, where, and how much?

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
BC's seem to be good..a couple of guys on the Rcolt forums have been running BC for >150k kms with no issues...and these guys dont baby their cars...

G

Unregistered
Theyr shit.. Stay away. Any super cool or low down words on tein = crap...
you want to get you some ohllin's or bc golds..

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
These http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubish...#ht_500wt_1414 are the basic coilovers so yeah no damper settings just height. Hmmm contemplating saving my money now has anyone here got this exact set and can tell me if they are any good?
I have these. I've just got mine back from Fulcrum, had complete overhaul and revalved to suit my new spring rates. Benefit of these is they,are repairable unlike others.
Mine were quite old and had been on the car for some time in Japan plus the 150000km that we've done here in Aus they were due a birthday.
adjustable damper for a road car is mainly a gimmick, you might change it once and never touch it again. But if you want that it's up to you.I highly recommend them for street driving

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
They'd be nice and comfortable, Teins are great quality too, but spring rates are quite soft at 5k / 3k. My Teins with 10k / 7k are still plenty comfortable but allow me to run reasonable low and not scrape/bottom out on shitty roads.

As Simon mentioned, you could get new springs and revalve them, but you may as well go for a brand new set of BCs/ISCs for the cost & they're base adjustable too.

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
I think they might be im trying to find out but cant find any info. Yep just found out they are 5/3

marc.r

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marc
Drive
purple legnum
how soft is 5/3 relative to stock shocks and springs? how much lower would these compared to stock?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
how soft is 5/3 relative to stock shocks and springs? how much lower would these compared to stock?
I've never been in stock sprung car so can't comment.
They can be lowered further than what is practical.

I'd suggest finding someone who has them asking them if they'd take you for a drive. Ride quality is very subjective, as is what people think is important, as you've seen by the two polar opposite responses here.

That said, i did go up in spring rate from 5 to 6 and 3 to 4. Its not just the spring rate, its the quality of the damper/valve stack. A spring is a spring is a spring, the money in this price bracket, is in the valve stack.

It cost me ~$1500 to re-valve them (all 4) to suit my spring rate. When you so consider an entire suspension costs what i paid purely for the the stack, it's not hard to deduce which has the potential for better ride quality and control of the spring.

But again, its all up to you.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
According to Steve's research, front is 3.75kg/mm and rear is 2.85kg/mm for the stock items as per this thread.

A list of the rates of heaps of aftermarket items can be found here, very handy!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
The bilstein coilovers are 14 front and 8 rear, stiff as feck. I am running 8 front and 6.3 rear and I am on the same page as Simon, mine are probably bordering on too stiff especially in the rear with camber kits on the front in my opinion. I was after less understeer and more oversteer and without camber kits it was close to where I wanted, but not quite there, the camber kits mean I would probably like to reduce my rear spring rate a touch now... probably to say 5.5. Also like Simon said though the damper is important, not just the spring, my car is stiff also because of the damper (bilstein coilover) there are damping rate graphs on them here somewhere by me as well....

The bilstein non adjustable stuff I have no idea on rates.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Yep, the circlip ones are much softer but I don't know the spec, should someone move all this to the coilovers thread?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
5/3 is very soft. I doubt you would even notice a difference from stock.

Tein coilovers are like Pioneer of the audio world. They cater to entry level enthusiasts who want something a bit better than stock and offer all the way up to competition spec stuff.

The cheaper end of Tein is incredibly basic with no base height adjustability. Unless you're spending $1800+ on Tein coilovers, you're getting something very primitive.

Top Bottom