Coilovers - who, what, where, and how much?

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
bringing back an age old thread,
i got some second hand tanabe sustec pro coilovers cheap,
they seem in fairly bad nick though,apart from looking bad,they didnt come with the adjusting tool and all seem covered in corrosion,but on one of them,one of the adjusting o shaped locking rings is broken in half and it looks like they've welded it up so theyre not adjustable and cant move.
so im gonna pull them all apart and paint them but what im wondering is how i do it and does anyone know if there's anywhere that rebuilds coilovers?
ill get a pic if someone wants to see what im talking about,i just dont know much about coilovers

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
i had that happen with 2nd hand teins. the rings snapped under the pressure of me turning them with my hands. and when they broke off, everything was corroded. basically thats the end of their life. bin them and get some new ones with warrantee. then u got peace of mind.

G

Unregistered
Cusco Coilovers ordered today... rates are 8/5kg $1550 from my new friend Henry :)

three to four weeks... slowly making my way around the mods...ha

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Cusco Coilovers ordered today... rates are 8/5kg $1550 from my new friend Henry :)

three to four weeks... slowly making my way around the mods...ha

Aren't you selling your car though? Lol

G

Unregistered
Aren't you selling your car though? Lol

Ah remember i was looking for costings on what I could sell for... Ideas is still there but I am waiting for the chaser that makes my pants tighten to come up so in the mean time im still guna add to the car... its the beauty of having a relatively well paying job and no other financial obligations... can order new parts every week :)

Cusco Zero Wagons...

G

Unregistered
p.s to that...

my first years insurance is paid up front so long as i keep the car for at least a year... so i have 5-6mnths up my sleeve :)

3M-TA3

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Daniel
Drive
BLACK MANUAL '97 LEGNUM
bringing back an age old thread,
i got some second hand tanabe sustec pro coilovers cheap,
they seem in fairly bad nick though,apart from looking bad,they didnt come with the adjusting tool and all seem covered in corrosion,but on one of them,one of the adjusting o shaped locking rings is broken in half and it looks like they've welded it up so theyre not adjustable and cant move.
so im gonna pull them all apart and paint them but what im wondering is how i do it and does anyone know if there's anywhere that rebuilds coilovers?
ill get a pic if someone wants to see what im talking about,i just dont know much about coilovers

i have spare spanners for tanabe. before you destroy them, is the rear drivers any good? mine has leaked/blown a seal. if warranty does not cover it i may need to get another. so depending on what your doing and condition they're in let me know.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
sorrry to hijack, but has anyone got BC coilovers? anyone had any experiance with them? i tried to search but 'bc' isnt the best search term

G

Unregistered
sorrry to hijack, but has anyone got BC coilovers? anyone had any experiance with them? i tried to search but 'bc' isnt the best search term

They appear to be very similar to Daiyama coilovers. I have just taken mine off the car to be replaced with Teins. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
That is due to rust thought isn't it Peter? That problem isn't likely to happen in Aus

G

Unregistered
That is due to rust thought isn't it Peter? That problem isn't likely to happen in Aus

That's one of the issues Brad. The other is that they do not have enough travel to cope with the roads in the UK. With the springs I was advised to use by the supplier the coils are too compressed and if I reduced the preload the car was so low it would not get up my drive without the front bumper grounding. This is with the coilovers at there max height . Inner tyre wear has also been an issue and even when I fitted camber adjusters it did not improve.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
true, thanks for the info Pete, did the spring compress when u adjusted the height? or did they move up and down the shock body?

im lookin into ISC TT's now, meant to be perfect for the street

G

Unregistered
true, thanks for the info Pete, did the spring compress when u adjusted the height? or did they move up and down the shock body?

im lookin into ISC TT's now, meant to be perfect for the street

The springs compressed . The shocks just didn't have enough travel and a higher spring rate would help but it would still be a comprimise on a better setup such as the teins which have far more travel

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i have spare spanners for tanabe. before you destroy them, is the rear drivers any good? mine has leaked/blown a seal. if warranty does not cover it i may need to get another. so depending on what your doing and condition they're in let me know.

thanks daniel,i still havent put them in yet,one of the rings has broken and theyve welded them tight,so i cant adjust the fronts,which didnt make me very happy when i saw that.ill let you know when i put them in as it will be very soon

G

Unregistered
Our coilovers aren't camber top adjustable at all are they? Something to do with the struts is that right?

Top Bottom