color of the ATF oil in the vr4

G

Unregistered
Hi guys.
Can anyone confirm about the SPFIII ATF oil color pllease.
My mechanic said that it doesnt matter about the color as long as the specs of the oil are the right ones. Is this the case.
As in my AT there was red oil but I could only buy a german Mannol oil SPIII and that comes in yellow.
I stuck it into the tranny and it works great.
Now its time to change the oil in the AYC and I was going to go with the same yellow Mannol SPIII.
Cheers

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Well if the oil that went in there was red, it should stay red. As soon as it starts to turn brown, it should be replaced.

Now as for the other brand, I have no idea to be honest! Still meets SPIII specs, so it can't be that bad I guess?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Well as Carsten has said, not all ATF SPIII graded oils are the same - the genuine Mitsubishi one is high-friction modified (HFM) and you need to ensure the one you want to use is also. Remember Mitsi used to have a special AYC fluid specifically for one of the AYC gear housings, but changed to ATF SPIII later as the new lubricant (replacing ATF SPII) was designed to meet the requirements of the AYC HFM specs in a single product.

If it were my car I'd be doing a lot of legwork before I stuck an unknown product in my diff (which is exactly what I did for five months before I serviced my car, using Amsoil).

G

Unregistered
Thanks I will look into the HFM on the web for the mannol oil.

G

Unregistered
the only trans oils i know of that meet mitsi requirements,

are mitsi mmspIII (aka diamond queen or diaqueen)
or amsoil, which exceeds the requirements,

normal trans oil will need a HFM additive to be compatible, which ends up making it cost more than just buying the mitsi stuff ($55.00 for 5L)

you'll need 10 to do a proper flush/fill

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
If it's Red go to Bed,
If it's Brown send it Down...

Oh and if you're a smooth talker you can generally get Mitsu SPIII for around $35 at trade... ;)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Except Adam's living in Kurgystan, which makes it difficult for him to get supply of certain products.

Adam if you need some stuff sent out there from Perth let me know and I'll see if I can organise it - I expect shipping will be horrendous, but it's doable.

Top Bottom