Continually blowing rear droplinks

monktt

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 (AYC) 5MT
Good Day Folks,

I have an odd problem that I can't seem to figure out...i'm continually blowing the rear droplinks every couple of months (3-4). When they go the sway bar rubs on the lower control arm, its almost as though the ball joint in the link fails and gets loose.

I don't drive aggressive all the time...occasionally since i live in a area with lots of corners and at times i have a little fun.

Car Details:

- 1997 VR-4, 5MT with AYC
- Tien coil-overs (not an aggressive drop)
- Control arms are stock apart from recently (3-days ago) replacing upper knuckle rubber with white-line bushing

Recently checked, wheel balance and alignment.

I'm considering going with an HD drop-link, even though i can change them in 20min,prefer not to be doing it every 3-4 months.

Any suggestions.

(Pics included below.)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
do you have any pics of this droplinks?

also, I dont think I saw you mentioned if you have stock or aftermarket swaybars.. can you please let us know what you have?

with replacing the droplinks with HD units, i suggest you thicken up the mount points on the control arm as it's slightly weak and require this mod specifically when you upgrade to a thicker swaybar

monktt

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
It's almost midnight on my side so will have to get those pics in the morning.

I have stock sway bars.

I'd prefer to find out why it blowing the drop-links than upgrade, but re-enforcing the mount point is a good tip.

brichman

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 PFL Galant VR-4 (Roanne Red)
Interested to see the picture of this, my rear sway bar link has ripped itself off of my control arm.. maybe we have a related problem :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Sounds odd. Normally they'll tear the mount before the link fails.... pic of install?

monktt

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
upload_2016-5-10_20-29-10.png

Here is the pic of the blown drop-link (LHS).

I noticed the last time I changed them that the sway-bar was quite a bit forward and the angel of the installed drop-link was a bit excessive but couldn't see any other way to install and the new links were exactly like the old.

Drop link & Sway bar knocks on lower control arm depending on the road condition and if i'm negotiating an incline.

Also recently replaced sway bar rubbers.

upload_2016-5-10_20-32-35.png

Different view showing more of sway bar and extreme angle of drop link.

upload_2016-5-10_20-33-45.png

Pic of ride height...fenders are a bit rolled to the back end of the arch. Car currently sits on 225-40/18.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I've seen a link at this angle before. It's quite possible the swaybar mount has been pushed forward causing that angle of the drop link. Either use longer drop link to get the angle more vertical or bend swaybar bracket rearwards

monktt

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
I've seen a link at this angle before. It's quite possible the swaybar mount has been pushed forward causing that angle of the drop link. Either use longer drop link to get the angle more vertical or bend swaybar bracket rearwards

Curious, but under what conditions would the rear sway bar mounting points bend forward? wouldn't the entire sub frame have to move for that to happen?

The car is presently set up with Tien coil overs that hasn't been adjusted in well over 2 years, would failing units contribute to the excessive angle? (genuine question, i'm trying to find root cause here as this phenomenon only started happening about 6mths ago)

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
It was in a car that had a minor rear ended and the exhaust had been pushed back. Hits the swaybar mount it's actually a flimsy part of the subframe just a bracket

Even wheel alignment or a worn bush wouldn't cause that on the droplink

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
Looking at that pick it looks a bent. Pull the bottom towards rear of car and u will see the droplink stand upright more
Maybe use longer droplink to raise the swaybar end and bring the pivot point back.

monktt

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
It was in a car that had a minor rear ended and the exhaust had been pushed back. Hits the swaybar mount it's actually a flimsy part of the subframe just a bracket

Even wheel alignment or a worn bush wouldn't cause that on the droplink

thanks trotty, will have to get it up on the stands/ramp weekend and do a through inspection.

monktt

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
thanks trotty, will have to get it up on the stands/ramp weekend and do a through inspection.

Okay, so I crawled under the car this evening and there is no evidence of a rear end collision or any distortion of the sub-frame.

What I did notice however is that the lower control arms seems to have been modified (never noticed this before), the mount points for the drop-links aren't in the right position and the arms seem slightly bent.

Also noticed that there is a bushing on the sub-frame (exhaust silencer side) that is busted and needs to be replaced (see pic attached -> A,). The area identified as " B" is the stock shield where the OEM rear silencer usually mounts. Also recently changed the arm that sits right behind the swap bar mount points and had no problem removing or installing.

upload_2016-5-17_20-8-41.png

This is a pic of the bushing from the passenger side of the car (left side), bushing is circled.

upload_2016-5-17_20-17-4.png

1) Blue circled area is in the wrong place
2) Bar seems to be bent upwards in are labeled "A"
3) Mount point for the drop link is rotated to far back.
upload_2016-5-17_20-11-49.png

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Just saw your replies sorry. The links look a bit off. Id say something is bent or the incorrect part maybe used. We have a car in at the moment lined straight as..... turned out the rear subframe was bent 5mm when we measured it all up.

monktt

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Marcus
Drive
Just saw your replies sorry. The links look a bit off. Id say something is bent or the incorrect part maybe used. We have a car in at the moment lined straight as..... turned out the rear subframe was bent 5mm when we measured it all up.

Think you are right TME_Steve, with the bent/modified parts, I have ordered replacement lower control arms. The car really has no indication of a rear end collision...but those arms clearly have been modified, almost seems as though they took regular arms and welded the sway bar mount points onto them (neatly done but incorrectly, and unless you really scrutinize them it will be hard to pick up) .

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
its possible those arms were meant for the 7G galant

not sure if the aus released versions came out with rear swaybars or not..

Top Bottom