Correct chassis stand points for Legnum

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Hi folks,

Work must begin on my VR4 to get it back to road worthy condition, so up on the stands it needs to go. Can anyone tell me where the *safe* chassis stand points are?

Pics would be great if you have them. Often people will describe things like "under the rear brace" and I'll have no fecking idea what they're referring to. So yeah, the more info the better. :)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
On the underbody seams that run between the front and rear wheels on each side, there are "reinforced" areas at the ends near the wheels. This is where I put my jack stands and is where the supports go when putting the car on a hoist. Is that what you mean?

(I say "reinforced" in quotes because the metal does still deform a bit when you use these spots)

G

Unregistered
I had a look at that thread and I cant find any links that work to get an online version that I can download

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
On the underbody seams that run between the front and rear wheels on each side, there are "reinforced" areas at the ends near the wheels. This is where I put my jack stands and is where the supports go when putting the car on a hoist. Is that what you mean?

(I say "reinforced" in quotes because the metal does still deform a bit when you use these spots)

Yeah but those points are taken up by the jack. I either need to jack it up there and put the stands somewhere else, or find a different jack point so I can put the stands under these reinforced spots.

G

Unregistered
when using a trolly jack I use these points then put the jack stands under the sills

2014-08-14 15.25.30.jpg
20140814_152049.jpg
20140814_152310.jpg
20140814_152301.jpg
20140814_152301.jpg

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Found it - it's in the US Service Manual which I have. Pic attached.

Jack points.png

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
I wouldn't lift the car from the rear diff/assembly as it is suspended by some vertical rubber bushes, intended to support a dif, not the weight of the car.

a jack with a large contact face (like saucer sized) is ideal for front and back. if not, a good chunk of wood

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I always used one of the suspension inner arm mounts (one is bigger than the others). The car is so stiff that it would lift the whole rear end doing that from one side. And you can be pretty confident that a suspension mount will take the weight.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
from the specified point. If you use a large enough face on the jack, it's fine.

matts suggestion is good too

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
with the rear jacking point (middle, just behind the diff) add a piece of wood that'll cover the diameter of the jack's head, that way it'll avoid the jacking point from collapsing..

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
In Gavs 3rd photo you can a chassis rail with round holes in it, I used to put my stands under that rail at the end. Never deformed in any way.

Top Bottom