Whats the correct terminology?

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Guys im looking for the correct name given to the part im about to describe. Basically its a shock absorber that connects your motor to the chassis. We have one on our cars but its a solid black brace and it connects the block to the drivers side engine mount. I wanna change it to a shockie but dont know what its correct terminology is, someone know it?

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Engine Damper / Shock Absorber ?

edit: You mean one of these? (google image search "engine damper kit")
nengun-1508-00-jsracing-engine_torque_damper.jpg

DSCF3986.jpg

engine%20damper.jpg

G

Unregistered
i was going to say engine mount, until he mentioned it in his post.

how about a photo mate?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
there would be no point in replaceing the metal bar that is already there.

the idea behind the engine dampner is to absorbe the shock created by the rocking and rolling of the engine. take a look at the green mx5 motor pic above. its a northsouth mounted engine, which mean the crank runs north south. this means the radial forces created by the crank travel perpendicular to the crank. thats why the engine damper is motor perpendicular to the motor. casue the motor rolls left and right

if you did want one for our cars, you need an engine damner that runs north south as our 6a13 are an east-west motor, which rocks northsouth

see below
mitsubishi_lancer_e886_%20201.jpg

see how the engine dampner is on this evo?

its is there to counteract the roll of the engine

that peice of flat bar is the to triangulate the engine to increase its strength. replaceing it with an adjustable peice would mean your engine could sag more as the mount is now weaker

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
Our cars already have an equivalent. There's two roll stop bushes mounted between the engine and the cross member (front roll stop) and sub frame (rear roll stop).

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
if it was for bling, dont bother.

get some harder compound roll stoppers if it was an actual function

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
In theory you could replace the stock ones with a single damper between the top of the engine and the firewall. That would let you remove the cross member completely. The only reason I can think of doing this is for weight reduction. I don't know what effect it would have on rigidity, and am also unsure whether the stock ones do more than just stop roll (i.e. are they partially load bearing?).

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Im asking becuse ive just installed a full set of polyurethane bushes to each mount under the gearbox and engine and i think its the worst thing i could have ever done, the vibrations through the car between 1400-2200 rpm is driving me crazy almost makes my teeth rattle and its also made a whole heap of creeks and noises appear that were never there, I noticed this bar and thought because its connecting the engine to the mount perhaps by changing it from a solid bar to a dampener it may help reduce the amount of vibrations and wobbles etc coming through the car.......sounds like im wrong though:cry::cry::cry:

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Tim, is your car auto or manual? I know that if you have a manual transmission, the vibration aroudn 500-700rpm is quote noticeable, not sure why your's is bad around 1400-2200rpm..

that engine dampe wouldn't really help.. it'll only help with sudden jolts like disengaging/engaging thru gears and probably engine braking..

I suggest you replace your front & rear roll stoppers if the vibration is that bad.. my opinion anyway..

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
I believe i mentioned ive replaced all of them with a full set of poly's all 4 of them and yes its manual

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
replace the roll stoppers with rubber ones then

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
Out of interest, why did you change the bushes in the first place? They're always going to be stiffer than the stock ones.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Bit hard to source those standard parts i think brand new ones anyways would cost more than the poly kit!?!? Besides keeping rubber mounts working with poly's causes the rubber ones to fail fairly quickly just something ive heard

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
I changed them because the drivers side mount was gone and it was just a bit more expensive to replace all of them rather than just the one i needed.............needless to say id rather have just fixed one instead now

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
I seem to recall a price of about between $100 and $200 NZD for a single engine mount from mitsi. That's the entire mount though, not just the bushing.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
So 4 rubber replacements will be well over $500 thats double wat i payed for the full poly kit

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
landcruiser body mounts, and get them machined to match the poly's :)

Top Bottom