Correct Tyre pressure..

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Bought an digital tyre guage today, my front tyres were 5psi to low, so I topped them up....... bad move, it has acsentuated my front wheel bearing problem. I went over to my dad's and got him to check with his digital guage, my new guage is accurate....... rather chop my tyres to pieces than feel/hear the front hubs the way they currently are, thank god the new hubs are due for delivery any day.......

moral to the story is when test driving a prospective new VR4, check tyre pressures before your test drive, low pressure hides obvious problems

YES YES, my bad, but once your in the seat of a VR4, rhyme and reason go out the door, to busy enjoying the thrill of the drive and you miss stuff....... so its taken 6 weeks to check the tyre pressure, bigger thrill than any of my battery operated toyS.... my excuse and i'm sticking to it

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Bit of a strange one! I normally run mine at 38psi front and 36psi rear, most people find the best handling is with them in the high 30's

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
so its taken 6 weeks to check the tyre pressure, bigger thrill than any battery operated toy.... my excuse and i'm sticking to it

You obviously noticed the thing with the seats then too ;)

(The other half noticed it not me lol....)

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
They just hummmmmm along....lol

although its humming a hell of a lot more now (but not enjoyably)

they were running on 27psi before i added 5, I fear adding more would only compound it the way near side front hub is......

G

Unregistered
I'm runing 40psi all round on my 17's
Seems to work good for me.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
curious, did you mean 'my' rather than 'any' in the last line of your first post?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
:pthank god for re-chargable batteries:p

maybe should try a 40psi run

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
On the subject of 'correct' tire pressure, I've read some fairly involved articles espousing the benefits of various pressures quoting all sorts of stats and a great deal of conjecture. In the end, the best rule-of-thumb seems to be to run your tires at 90% of their maximum inflatable pressure. The side-wall of mine say 44psi, so I run them at 40, they feel nice and firm without being jarring and feel a LOT better than the 'soft poo' feeling I got around corners at the 'recommended' 32psi.

One way to tell if you're at correct pressure is of course wear - if you have excessive wear in the middle of your tires, they're over-inflated. If you have more noticeable wear on the outside edges, they're too soft.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I run 40 psi all around. Dunno why, just seems to feel right.

Unfortunately I have dodgy cheap tyres so my 40 psi lasts a couple of days before I have to top the left rear up again.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I run 38PSI F&R.... Seems to give me better road holding than 40

I have Bilstein adjustables too, and i wouldn't say they are the softest of setups on the market so a little under 40 works in that department too :)

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
52k with jevic certificate, its got me scratching my head to, but i've read on clubvr4 that others have experienced failures at similar k's, hence why i'm replacing them all. Thankfully they aren't far off now

spacer.gif
bullet_circle.gif
Out of Foreign Customs, January 12, 2009, 2:37 pm, AUSTRALIA
bullet_circle.gif
Into Foreign Customs, January 12, 2009, 11:09 am, AUSTRALIA
bullet_circle.gif
Arrived Abroad, January 12, 2009, 11:09 am, AUSTRALIA
bullet_circle.gif
International Dispatch, January 09, 2009, 4:21 pm, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

so with a lil luck, they might be delivered on wednesday or thursday to coincide with rotors and pads from Hipsi.

I'm going to be a busy gurl on Saturday installing them in preparation for Southern Highlands Run on Sunday, Thats the plan....

Maybe then I can silently run 40psi with a smile on my dial

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Thank you Thank you Thank you Hipsi,

Love receiving golden things from a man,

My First Delivery of Rotors & Pads arrived this morning

An enjoyable hum on the southern highlands run, ;-)
picture.php

G

Unregistered
i'd be a bit careful about installing your rotors and pads and then thrashing them the next day..

most pads you need to bed in, and then drive softly on for 200km or so..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Most standard road pads require gentle driving, whereas more aggressive pads want you to trash them until smoke comes off them. Probably want to check the manual for them

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Hmmmmm, I think I'm sick tomorrow......

Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll do this tomorrow and gently break them in with a run along the hume hwy, then a run to sydney on saturday, so I can give them some ginger on Sunday

Cant get any better than this my new hubs just arrived too

picture.php

Top Bottom