Cyber Scriber's guide to getting good fuel economy

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
We own circa 1,500kg, twin turbo, V6, AWD beasts - never a good starting point for decent fuel economy.

Despite this, the massively long fuel consumption thread shows that most of us care about fuel economy to some extent.

This guide is intended to set out the little and not so little things you can do to improve your economy. Steps are listed in order of cost and / or complexity. The guide is not intended to be slavishly followed to the letter without reference to reason and common sense. The guide simply lists those things that may improve economy, some by a lot and others by a theoretical SFA amount. Choose what works for you, your budget, your preference, your driving conditions and what common sense dictates.

The basic principles for good economy are to remove weight, increase aerodynamics, or improve engine and drive train efficiency.

Don't forget about the laws of diminishing returns, which state that at a certain point, the cost required does not justify the return. In simple terms, there's not much point in spending $5k on those super lightweight forged magnesium wheels to save $1 a week on your petrol costs!

Please feel free to comment and I'll update the original post. If you find this post useful, send some rep love ;)

1) The free or tight ass things you can do

a) Increase tyre pressure - Ideally, you want something around 38psi for the front and 36psi for the rear. Use an accurate (and preferably calibrated) tyre pressure guage to measure.

b) Nitrogen in tyres - In theory, nitrogen should slightly help with economy. It certainly won't hurt economy.

c) Remove unnecessary weight - Take out those old tools, the esky and the dead body in the boot. Most of it is dead weight (pun intended). Don't remove your jack or wheel brace - no point recording awesome economy if you have to pay $300 to get your car towed because of a flat tyre! Consider whether removing sound deadening is worth the extra noise trade off. If you're a sound nut, plan your system using amps with a small footprint and slim line subs.

d) Remove or rectify items that disturb aerodynamics - This includes roof racks, table top spoilers, panel gaps, keeping the aerial down etc. It might also include getting streamlined side mirrors, flush side indicators etc.

e) Adapt driving behaviour - This is probably one of the biggest things you can do to improve economy. Don't accelerate or brake hard. Anticipate red lights and gaps so you can slowly roll towards them and then subsequently accelerate without stopping. Shift up before boost hits and get to top gear ASAP without labouring the engine i.e. don't struggle at 45klm/hour in 5th! The aim is to keep the revs below 3,000rpm.

Where possible (e.g. downhill), remove your foot from the throttle completely, as the ecu will cut virtually all fuel on overrun. Drive at a lower rpm and higher throttle percentage (within reason i.e. dont drop engine revs excessively or punch full throttle) - in other words, where conditions allow, use a taller gear and more throttle rather than a shorter gear and less throttle.

f) Avoid high speeds, especially on highways and motorways - Between 75-90klm/hour is ideal for our cars' engine and gearing characteristics. You'll record far better economy between these speeds than you will at 110klm+/hour. Make sure you drive to the conditions though and don't sit in the fast lane below the speed limit!

g) Avoid peak hour traffic and switch the engine off - Speaks for itself. Plan your trips so you drive in light traffic conditions. If you are stuck in traffic or stopped for a while (e.g. in a carpark where no one is moving), switch the engine off. I have read that the extra fuel used in starting the car is negated if the engine is stopped and not idling for at least 6 seconds. From 7 seconds on, it's money time ... lol!

h) Slip streaming and drafting - Drive close to the vehicle in front to be pulled into their slip stream (preferably a van, large truck or bus that will take the drag hit for you). This step is not really recommended because of the risk of rear ending someone.

i) ECU reset - Disconnect the battery and pump the brake pedal a few times with the ignition in the "on" position. This removes any excess charge in the system. The thinking behind an ECU reset is so the ECU can relearn and compensate for the driver's behaviour, the state of mods, the quality of fuel etc. For example, if you have a bad tank of fuel, the ECU will pull back the timing. However, if you subsequently use lots of tanks of high octane fuel and the ECU detects no knocking, it will add the timing back. Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily do this quickly and may take some time to "unlearn". Think of it as rebooting your computer to get a clean slate on start up.

j) Air con is a luxury - Using the air con places additional load on the engine and increases fuel consumption by up to 10%. Only use air con if absolutely necessary and consider whether it's still bearable with a/c off and the windows and sunroof open. The exception is where you are doing high speeds on the highway. Here, the aerodynamic drag caused by open windows is likely to outweigh a streamlined car with windows closed and a/c on. If your car has been parked in the hot sun, drive off first with a/c off and all windows down to remove the hot air from the car. Then turn a/c on to reach the desired temperature and then switch the a/c to economy mode.

k) Remove spare tyre - It is possible to replace your spare tyre with the tyre repair cans. Yes, this saves weight but may not be a good idea if you drive on roads that increase the risk of a flat or if you drive outside of metro areas where the goop in a can isn't going to be that helpful e.g. You're in the middle of the Nullabor.

2) The low cost things you can do

a) Use 98RON fuel rather than 95RON - In theory, the denser 98RON fuel should give better economy (as well as more response and power and better injector clean). This needs to be balanced against the higher cost of 98RON fuel. In any event, I'd recommend only running on 98RON for piece of mind.

b) Use low viscosity oil - Something around 0w30 or 5w30 and fully synthetic. Change the oil filter while you're there.

c) Change spark plugs - It's likely that your rear plugs are rooted because they're harder to get to. Change all 6 and experience a better bang and a better buck ratio.

d) Change ignition leads, O2 sensor, air filter and fuel filter - For the air filter, use a panel replacement filter from Ralliart, K&N or HKS. Pod filters are generally a no go zone.

e) Tune up and injectors - Keep the engine in a good state of tune and get an injector clean.

3) Now we're starting to get expensive

a) Aftermarket ECU or retune factory ECU - Get an aftermarket ECU and appropriate tune. Alternatively, provided that your factory ECU can be retuned, have this done so that the car does not run too rich.

b) Lower the car - This improves aerodynamic efficiency and decreases drag. Note that if you're in NSW, you may be subject to certain lowering restrictions. More info here - http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6598&page=4.

c) Exhaust and intercooler - Get a free flowing exhaust and uprated intercooler. For the true weight saving slaves, make sure the exhaust is made of titanium. Not only does this make you part of the cool crowd, but it's much lighter than your conventional exhaust systems.

d) Lightweight smaller diameter wheels - Grab some lightweight Rays forged magnesium wheels to help with economy, unsprung weight, cornering etc. You'll look hard too. Go for a smaller size over a "you're a girl unless you go 18 x 9.5" size. 16 inch rims require less power to move than big and heavy fully sik rims.

e) Lightweight brakes - These will cost you.

f) Skinny, low rolling resistance tyres - For example, Michelin specifically make a tyre for fuel economy. Note that you'll probably sacrifice outright grip and braking with economy oriented tyres. The upside is better fuel consumption and a quieter ride.

4) I just won the lotto!

a) Carbon fibre panels and parts - Save weight by getting a carbon fibre bonnet, boot, doors, guards, mirrors and interior bits. In addition to saving weight, you'll look tough.

b) Underbody diffuser and full engine undertray - This helps with aerodynamic flow under your car.

5) Yeah right!

a) Hit the gym and sauna and lose some weight. Only offer to drive supermodels and not sumo wrestlers.

b) Sell the Galant / Legnum and buy a hybrid or diesel.

Cheers.

Bruce aka Cyber_scriber

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Keep them coming Bruce.......

Bruce, your theory behind resetting the ECU, I'd like to hear the theory, our cars run like pigs for a while, or are you suggesting that after a good fang we reset so that it isn't set in a more aggressive mode?

Thanks

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I agree with all of the above. I would also consider getting the full engine undertrays to reduce drag.

In an Auto VR-4 you can cruise a bit faster than a manual and still acheive good economy. In a manual at 110kmh you are at 3000rpm and 1mm of movement in your foot will create boost and the fuel economy will go to hell.

Try to stay in vacuum the whole time, and stay below 3000rpm, outside of these parameters the ECU starts dumping lots of fuel in.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
great stuff bruce~ I agree with then all. Especially peak traffic and high way driving explaination. Cheers

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Keep them coming Bruce.......

Bruce, your theory behind resetting the ECU, I'd like to hear the theory, our cars run like pigs for a while, or are you suggesting that after a good fang we reset so that it isn't set in a more aggressive mode?

Kat.

Original post updated with more ECU information and new information regarding efficient use of air conditioning.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I believe that starting the car equates to more like 30 seconds idling time. That's what I've read anyway.

ygoslo's guide to getting good fuel economy from your VR4? Sell it and buy an FTO. Most of the things listed will either give you no noticeable benefit (nitrogen inflation, removing roof racks, etc), be too annoying and dangerous to be practical (turning the engine off all the time, driving 80 in a 110 zone) or fail the cost vs reward test (new ECU etc).

At the end of the day, the car uses what it uses. Drive sensibly, make sure everything is reasonably well maintained and then make do with the result you end up with.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Adapting driving behaviour should be highlighted... or maybe mentioned every second point? The difference between gently easing from stopped to desired speed and trying to break your 0-100 time every time you take off is 10L/100kms vs 16L/100kms, literally ALL other things being equal (from my testing). I made a post about this somewhere in the colossal fuel thread...

Also, you'll get 99% of the benefits of nitrogen just by making sure you use a compressor with a good water trap - most people fill their tyres at a servo when getting fuel, from compressors which pump unfiltered atmospheric air into warm tyres. The result is you don't get an accurate reading for your tyre pressure on hot tyres and water vapour can cause a pressure difference in excess of 20% as it condenses and vaporises with tyre heat. Air is 79% nitrogen anyway, the 20% that's oxygen really makes no measurable difference unless you're subjecting the tyres to extreme temperatures (ie on a track doing 200+km/h). Fill your tyres from a compressor with a good water trap when they're cold and use an accurate (preferably calibrated) pressure gauge and you'll have all the benefits of nitrogen without the cost.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
If highway driving is you thing, then also install a cruise control system, helps to keep revs smooth when cruising coz as brad mentioned the slightest movement in your foot and the car wants to take off again and next thing your doing 130!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I've heard cruise is actually bad for fuel economy because it can't anticipate hills. If you're in control personally you can gradually increase throttle percentage to get up the hill, but with cruise it waits til you get to the hill and start slowing down and then nails it to compensate.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
I've heard cruise is actually bad for fuel economy because it can't anticipate hills. If you're in control personally you can gradually increase throttle percentage to get up the hill, but with cruise it waits til you get to the hill and start slowing down and then nails it to compensate.

But who uses cruise on hills? Hills generally mean corners, corners mean fun.
No, but seriously cruise can improve economy on long, straight, flat runs (ie highway etc). Even the cheaper vacuum systems can if they are de-sensitised enough so they don't hunt for a set speed. I had an AUSCRUISE vacuum system on my R32, and it did help economy at cruise. The characteristics of the RB20 were very similar at 110km/h, ie 3000RPM, and barely off boost.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
The highway between Melbourne and Ballarat, for instance, has heaps of hills with boring straight roads going over them. And it is hardly unique.

The other thing that sort of mystifies me is the way people always seem to be spending money to get better economy. Decent cruise is what, $700+? It might drop your highway consumption about 1 litre per 100 km. If you're lucky. That's going to take a lot of highway driving to recoup.

I find that the VR4 is actually really easy to keep at a set speed on the highway anyway. Much easier than my FTO was. And I probably do more highway driving than 99% of members on here so I'm well qualified to make that statement!

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Examining Chris's log files from EvoScan from the past couple of weeks, I saw it hit 4000rpm, get a couple (4) of knock hits, pull 1* of timing and drop the "octane" rating.
Half a minuit later the car was boosted again, as the load exceeded the "octane update threshold" without knock the octane rating was cleared to 100 again and the lost timing restored.
Its quick, but the octane update threshold has to be run over to get the ECU to react.
Otherwise, you stay at the lower settings. Its all explained in the tuning guide!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Dave - yes that is true, a few seconds of driving at reasonable levels of acceleration will always get the octane level to go back up.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
On the subject of cruise control:

I am probably a bit strange (yeah yeah) but every car I've owned has lacked cruise control, and in every one of them (both right and left hand drive), I have found that I can lean my right foot against the side of the footwell in such a way that friction keeps the accelerator steady without me having to use the muscles in my ankle. Obviously it means I can't really move my leg around, but I can pretty much relax my leg in that position anyway. And if I need to flex my joints I can just do it and then put my foot back where it was. I've never missed having cruise control.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
ygoslo's guide to getting good fuel economy from your VR4? Sell it and buy an FTO.

Ah Tim. Always so helpful with your (de)constructive cynicism and surly views ;) No problems - I'll bite.

Most of the things listed will either give you no noticeable benefit

I'm not sure whether you noticed that some of the listed items were tongue in cheek, whilst others were stated as giving a benefit "in theory" with the additional caveat that "it certainly won't hurt economy". People are free to pick and choose what items are practical for them and what items they feel might help economy. Isn't it better to give more options rather than fewer options? Or, in your case, giving people no options at all?

be too annoying and dangerous to be practical (turning the engine off all the time, driving 80 in a 110 zone)

It's quite safe and practical to turn off the engine if you're in the car park and the cars ahead of you haven't moved in ages. Further, if you've just come to a set of lights that have gone orange and red, I don't see any major issues with switching the engine off because you know it will be a while before it goes green (and you can see the cross lights turn yellow to know when to start the car back up). Similarly, if you're in a long row of cars at a red light, you've got plenty of time to see the lead cars move up so you can fire the engine back up. Heck, it might even make you a more alert driver.

I can think of any number of scenarios where it's perfectly safe and practical to drive at 90 in a 100 or 110 zone. For example, you're driving home from a late night out. There are little to no cars behind you. It's perfectly acceptable to sit on 90 on the highway, provided that you're in the slow lane. Similarly, it's raining cats and dogs on said highway and vision and grip aren't the best. Again, provided that you're in the left lane, I don't see any issues with keeping it at 90. Remember, the speed limit is a maximum speed limit, not a minimum one. I'm certain that our cars use less fuel coasting at 90 than going at 110. So if you're in no urgent rush to get home and the traffic and conditions permit, there's nothing wrong with going under the posted speed limit.

fail the cost vs reward test (new ECU etc).

Really?!?! No way!! Surely the original post wasn't so negligent to fail to mention this:

"Don't forget about the laws of diminishing returns, which state that at a certain point, the cost required does not justify the return."

Further, it's very naive to think that people would buy an exhaust or light weight forged rims purely for the economy benefits. The original post is simply pointing out that these items may contribute to improving economy, which is a bonus to whatever other benefits the relevant item may give.

At the end of the day, the car uses what it uses. make do with the result you end up with.

Ummm, no. The car uses anywhere between 9 to 20 litres per 100klm and many of the factors that determine which end you're on are listed in the original post. Sure, there will always be phantom cars that will be a dud on fuel but all things being equal, doing a few of the practical and logical things on the list can make a massive difference to what the car uses.

The "result you end up with" is something that you can have a lot of influence over so that you end up with a better result. Perhaps if you set aside some time to write up a guide that may help people rather than having a crack from the sidelines, you too might end up with a better result ;)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Original post updated with:

a) Brad's suggestion on keeping it below 3,000rpm and the full engine undertray; and

b) Trev's suggestion of using an accurate tyre pressure guage.

Keep the constructive comments coming!

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
Make more of the fuel map cels 14.7
Work out how much of those stupid 12.7 cels can be a whole bunch leaner and by how much.
Make it never run richer than 10.8.

Oh, and only ever drive with a tail-wind...

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
btw, the dry-lake racers reckon taping-up all the seams and gaps, windscreen rubbers etc, removing door mirrors and having flat face wheels works a treat too.

Top Bottom