Cyber Scriber's guide to getting the car ready after compliance (for NSW)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I've read several threads about getting the car on the road after compliance.

To clarify the process and to aggregate what I've read, this is my understanding of what you need to do once you get the phone call saying that your car is ready for pick up from the Toll depot.

Do excuse any blatant plagiarism, but I thought a consolidated thread would help new members.

Feel free to let me know if I'm missing anything or if I have incorrectly stated anything and I'll update the post.

1) Getting a temporary permit, jump starting, fresh fuel and insurance

a) Get a temporary driving permit from the RTA, which costs approximately $36. This allows you to drive the car unregistered so you can organise your blue slip, registration etc.

b) Some people do not get the temporary driving permit and simply drive the car away.

c) Pick up the car at the Toll depot. In NSW, this is located in Greenacre.

d) Some say that you need a jump starter for your now dead battery. Others say that the Toll depot will jump start the car for you.

e) The fuel in your car has probably degraded and lost its octane rating. Bring a jerry can with fresh 98RON fuel or drive very carefully and conservatively to the nearest petrol station to fill up. Do NOT thrash the car or you could wreck the engine!

f) Make sure you have insurance that covers you from the moment you first drive the car. If necessary, get an insurance cover note, which allows you to sort out your formal insurance arrangements later.

2) Blue slip

a) Get the blue slip from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS). This costs approximately $120.

b) Blue slips are like a safety check, similar to the pink slip. Make sure all your lights work, you have good tyre tread, there are no leaks etc.

c) There is no need to get a pink slip.

d) Take all of your paperwork with you as they will check the compliance sticker and plate. It also helps to have some details on the car i.e. weight, capacity & power etc. This information is available from all the pages on the Dotar website where you put in your chassis number.

e) After you get your blue slip, you might have to get an unregistered vehicle inspection done where they check your engine and chassis number (some guys did and some guys didn't have to get this done).

3) Green slip

Get a green slip for your car and then head to the RTA.

4) Registration at the RTA

(a) When you get to the RTA, make sure you have a piece of paper with the purchase price of the car on it (I used the 4 wheelers Japan invoice) as they need to know what you paid for the car. I showed them the shipping invoice and paid transfer on $9k (I didn't show them the compliance paperwork). The lower the purchase price, the lower the stamp duty ;)

(b) Bring all your documentation (Dotars/Raws/Purchase Receipt) to the RTA.

(c) Complete an Application for Registration form and pay registration fees; stamp duty; number plate fees etc.

5) Make sure you know where your engine number is in case the RTA asks

(a) Location of engine number:

(b) OK all you need to remove is the front air duct going to the air box, and a can of WD40 is a must. You really do need to spray lots of WD40, it just seems to bring the number out.

(c) You need a good strong torch, the smaller the better.

(d) The first row of the engine number is the same as on the plate. "6A13" then there is another line under that. Mine had 2 letters then 4 numbers.

(e) If you have your cheek resting on the radiator pipe, that is a good view.

(f) Pics are here: http://ozvr4.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15938&postcount=6

6) Drive away your car and enjoy!

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
No problems Trevor.

I thought that an outline of the post compliance process would be useful for new members who are waiting on their car.

As I mentioned, I'm definitely no authority on this subject matter (still waiting on my own car to finish compliance!) so feel free to correct anything in the original post.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
To make up a set of "ygoslo's laziness guides" (see other post about first service), here's the ygoslo guide to getting teh car ready after compliance:

1) get a permit

2) drive home

3) ignore everything the compliance place said was wrong with the car - they were probably trying to rip you off

4) get a RWC from a mate

5) get the car registered. Wear a tie so you don't look dodgy. If they ask where the engine number is, poke your head in, say "there it is, yep, same as is written on the roadworthy" and hope they buy it.

6) drive away.

Top Bottom