Data Loggers (EvoScan, Mitsulogger, DataLogLab)

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi,

in preparation for the upcoming QLD meet I'm trying setup EvoScan to do power and torque calc for a manual Legnum.

I've got the ratios from here (however bradc's posts of cvr4 have confused me about the final ratio...), curb weight from wikipedia (possibly a bit light as a Legnum would be heavier than a Galant)

What I need is the frontal area and drag co-eff.

This post on cvr4 (you may need to be a member to view) has some screen shots of another tool setup for a Legnum but with very different ratios??

Any ideas/corrections?

evoscan-settings.jpg

If we can come to some agreement I'll update this post and sticky the thread as a reference for everyone.

cheers

Lee

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the ratios you've got above are for a manual legnum, and the final you have is for an auto. You want the ratios as above, but you want 4.111 for your final.

The cd is 0.31 and I dunno about the frontal area

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Lee,

I've got the same software. How in the heck do you make it save your settings. Either it doesn't like Vista or it didn't install correctly.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi Peter,

I just fired an email off to the guy asking him that same question :) I can't get it to save my settings either (on XP).

There's some XML files in the install dir that seem to hold the settings but they don't get updated and I don't really want to edit them by hand.

I'll let you know when I get an answer.

cheers

Lee

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Well that's 2 emails about the same thing the guy will be getting. I was starting to think that it had something to do with the way it got installed on my computer. I really think that he needs to include the extra files required into the installation package and have the installation package check to see if the files are there already and if not install them if so just skip them. I think he also needs to supply a users manual.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Yep, you're right. However as it is only version 1.1, I think you're still getting a lot for $25. I'm sure it'll improve and you get all future versions for free.

From what I've read of cvr4 it's the best one around for little/no money.

So did you get the cable as well? I'm looking forward to having a play with it next week.

cheers

Lee

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Can someone enlighten me as to what evoscan / this program is about ?

:)

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Can someone enlighten me as to what evoscan / this program is about ?

:)

EvoScan is a piece of software (that you use with a USB cable) to hook into the ECU and log everything thats going on.

Check out the site here for screen shots.

Cost me about $110AU for the software (which includes all future versions) and a cable.

As Pete mentioned it's not entirely polished yet but still looks fun to play with.

cheers

Lee

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
Cheers Lee. I assume you cannot change anything in the car ECU, just to log the data ?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Cheers Lee. I assume you cannot change anything in the car ECU, just to log the data ?

Not unless you have an Evo :)

The later model Evos apparently allow for the ECU to be updated via a PC. But not our VR4s. I'm not sure if you do it via EvoScan - I think you use one called ECUFlash.

I bought it cos I'm a geek and I like graphs lol and it gives me something to play with till I get an aftermarket ECU.

I'll post anything interesting we manage to do with it at the meet next Sunday.

cheers

Lee

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hey Pete,

I've raised an issue about saving the settings as the guy suggested in reply to my email. He has it set up on CodePlex, a project hosting site.

If you create an account with CodePlex you can vote for the issue here

cheers

Lee

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hi,

just had a go at logging using some other software and got much better looking results than with the current 1.0alpha EvoScan.

I logged using MitsuLogger and used DataLogLab (using trial version) to graph it (you'll also need the DataLogLab log format file for MitsuLogger which you can find in the MitsuLogger forums) .

I didn't have a proper power run in the log so will try and get one soon.

Unfortunately also logged some knocking again :(

If you have a cable I recommend giving these two a go.

cheers

Lee

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I think it's time I got myself a copy of this software and the cable so I can really see whats going on under that bonet of myne. Thanks for the links to the other two progies Lee.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Yeah it's quite interesting and addictive (and very nerdy) :)

My other half rolls her eyes everytime I pull the laptop out in the car lol

Lee

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Steve,

You are welcome to borrow my cable for a week or 2 if you have the time to play with it.

Regards
Gavin

Top Bottom