Dead Alternator

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Yea so my alternator died last night, was driving into city and battery light stated flashing, by the time i was at where i going battery was nearly dead, revs were higher than normal, gauges were intermittently going crazy and boost was kicking in and out, not a pleasant drive at all RACV came out checked voltage and said yea alternator has gone, so cars going to the mechanic sometime this week to get it's full service and alternator sorted, how inconvenient :mad:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Does your car have a 120a or 100a alternator? Can you get the guy to check for you? I have seen a few reports now of 120a ones dieing.

G

Unregistered
Mine went 3 or 4 months ago, and i just go the old one reco'd.

And the workshop i took it to had a bitch of a time removing and refitting it ha ha ha suckers

G

Unregistered
Mine went 3 or 4 months ago, and i just go the old one reco'd.

And the workshop i took it to had a bitch of a time removing and refitting it ha ha ha suckers
How much did it cost you?

Is it possable to get the part number for the reco kit for our's? If it's not much then it would be good to have at home for a backup for if it ever went.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Read somewhere on here that it's the same part as the fto v6 alternator don't know about part umber or cost (yet) but will look at getting it re-cond

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Re-co is defiantly the way to go, I really hope this is the last thing to go wrong for you for a while Bryan.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Doesn't look like it was the alternator now, drove the car home with a good charged batt in it went fine no batt light on, load tested the battery and it's stuffed, checked charge with a multimeter and came back good at 14.59v so looks like the battery just died suddenly

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I'm sick and tired of so-called 'experts' trouble-shooting alternator problems that are caused by faulty batteries. I've had a faulty battery in my Magna for 18 months from new, had five tests on it and it always passes but it plays up in the car at least once or twice a week. I got sick of trying to get a warranty replacement and stuck my Optima Yellowtop in there while the VR4 is off the road and haven't had a problem since. I'll never buy a standard lead-acid battery again.

Glad to hear it was cheaper and easier than an alternator fault Bryan :)

G

Unregistered
When my alternator went i drained two batteries by the time i got home and then to the workshop. It ended up costing me $600 to get it fitted and fixed, bloody expensive thing to go wrong.

Now i have a trusty CAT battery i got from work so hopefully it will last a few years, lol it has a 5 year warranty on it

Top Bottom