Dead alternator?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Started the car up this evening to be greeted by a whine/warble that matched revs. Sure enough, placing a long screwdriver up against the alternator and putting my up to the other end of it confirmed the noise is coming from there. Also seems to have too low a voltage output even with revs.

What's best folks - replace with new or get a reco/swap?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Replaced it today. Took me about six hours to do it! Having to lower the motor on one side just to get the fecking thing out was a real pain, but on the upside I did discover where my slight coolant loss was coming from and fixed that too.

Obviously the new alternator does not whine, warble or whistle like the old one was doing, and the volts are back to 14.2. Nice.

Not so fast - see below for continuing issue.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Bad news - new alternator also whining. The whine is dependent on electrical load - more load, more whine.

I've been told that some whine is normal, but then the old one started whining when it wasn't doing so previously. I need to do some more in depth technical tests, starting with a voltage drop test.

phlanker

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Wes
Drive
98 Galant
could be a shot battery - and it's whining to try to keep volts up. swap out the battery to see if that helps - if not, could be a whine coming from another pulley and being transferred to the alternator either through the metal or the belt. oooor it could be the belt rubbing on the pulley??

13.5v looks ok tho at idle. and up to 14 on rev. 14.4 is the max you want out of it at full load.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Tried a battery swap - didn't make a difference. The whine is definitely dependent on electrical load though.

Only done a negative terminal drop test so far, getting to the positive terminal in a hot engine bay with the car running needs two people.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Could it be maybe the alternator belt ?

I only suggest it because when i got my transmission reconditioned i slowly noticed a whine sound coming from a pulley (it was either the air con pulley, pwr steering pulley or the tensioner pulley. i know it nothing to do with alternator but its a example and maybe same thing on a different belt) Anyways it got louder and got annoying because it was there the whole time and with abit of load it was louder.

Even though i had a brand new belt on, i refitted it again, gave a little more tension, still there, then less tension and still there - so i had a spare old belt put it on and no noise been nearly 2 month no noise.

So maybe test with another belt ? Could be something simple like that ?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
All your earths connected and in good condition also?

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
hi guys im have alt problems to i have only just bought my legnum off a mate he had put a new RXA356 alternator in it then it started playing up so he throw the towel in and sold it to me :) from what i understand from what i have read they usally come with a 100amp or 120amp standerd and the RXA356 is only 80amps :/ i have had a auto electriction out but he didnt pick up on it and just said sum dieodes where going! and recons $600 to $800 to fix! i asked him how much for just the alternator and he said he will have to take the other one out to look at it too find out exsactly! so needless to say i dont trust him as i went and got under the car when i got it to find out it was a RXA356 (wasnt hard) then i broke that news to him and he said yer thats the alternator i want! well considering it was brand new and installed just before i got it buying the same one again does not sound right to me pls help if u can! love my legnum and want it getting the best it can! and having a soundsystem in it to i need it to be at its best! thanks guys loving the site! djhi

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
This is the original part number.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 48

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
ur a god! anychance u know where i should buy one from?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Do you still have the alternator that was removed, there are rebuild kits available in case you can't find a 120amp one.

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
no i dont have the orginal alt sorry :( i do have the rxa356 still in there it works sumtimes lol can i mod that one?

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
k so auto electrition rang today recons that i put another rxa356 80amp back in he is going to charge me $350 for the alternator and another $300 to $450 to install!!! what should i do? this sounds like a bad idea to me :( been studying and i still dont know the answers :(

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I wouldn't bother doing that. It may or may not work, why risk it. I would get one from a wreck and recondition it.

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
^^^^^ cheers bro thats wat i was thinking^^^^^ as it didnt work last time why risk doing same thing again but u know he is the professional! at trying to make a quick easy buck! :(

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Replaced it today. Took me about six hours to do it! Having to lower the motor on one side just to get the fecking thing out was a real pain, but on the upside I did discover where my slight coolant loss was coming from and fixed that too.

Obviously the new alternator does not whine, warble or whistle like the old one was doing, and the volts are back to 14.2. Nice.

Not so fast - see below for continuing issue.

can get the alternator out by removing the tensioner pulley and bracket and it'll just fit over the driveshaft (need to remove plastic plate behind driver's side wheel). it is doable, did it today in katoomba woolies carpark after mine shit itself

Top Bottom