Debadged.. yay or nay?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Ok just got the car, and it came from jap covered in stickers. Got a bit carried away and debadged the car.

Personally i prefer the simple clean look. I previously debadged my old silvia and looked a treat. So thought it was worth a go on the vr4.

l_d0c14306f99b4f0aabb988f4f6004ce5.png

Anyway heres the before and after shots.

Front

l_ee945417a88f4de9bedd08ac270709a6.png

l_28a2032372674466ade95387eefd2177.png

Rear

l_bb7aa5bcaf5c4149adb105f17457f0e0.png

l_c578e7d8c16e45ccbe6bd5c708fbf790.png

Had mixed opinions on it. The way i see it, anything that 'doesnt need' to be on the car shouldnt be there. And also keeps uneducated people guessing. Some people even thought it was a chaser lol.

Process was pretty easy:

Front: Take grill off, unscrew bolts. Done!

Rear: Bought some bug and tar remover, parked the car in the sun so everything was nice and warm. Soaked the badges with this stuff, its like like a car wax type of liquid. Dab it on all around the badges and get it into the gaps. Leave for 5 mins and it will start desolving the glue enough to get some fishing line behind the badges. Then with the fishing line just carve up and down from one side to the other, like cutting clay/cheese. Eventually when the badges come off, there will be this jelly/glue residue. I got a blunt flat object, (im my case a butter knife, i know hell ghetto spec) and slowly picked at it. Came off quite easy, but gota be patient. Then applied the tar remover to the left over residue, waited 5 mins, and everything rubbed off. Finally went over with some metho to clean it all up. Paint work underneath is perfect and cant see where the original badges were. Pretty happy with the result. And good way to kill time on a afternoon.

mickelmaster

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Michael
Drive
91 Madaz MX-5
Well personally i like the VR4 badges on but it does give it a 'unknown' kinda look without them.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Debadged Galants and Series 1 Leggy's look good.... The facelift leggy backs look a bit weird without them IMO

You should've left the one in the front grill though ;)

And go the plates haha.... Now you just need to get them out of the way of your cooler intake

*EDIT

Especially on the grille. Without it there, something is missing.

Beat me to it bro lol...

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
thats cool. everyone has different tastes. i like to keep people guessing and have the sleeper look. u shouldnt rely on a badge to let people know ur car is something to take notice of, it should be the mods and look ur trying to achieve.
but it only looks as something is missing when stock. wait till i start modding it..

and yeah plates fit weird for some reason at the front, need to get a spacer or something to raise them.

G

Unregistered
I kept my VR4 on the grill at the front but i debadged the back leaving the GALANT above the numberplate.

Your car look great!!! Love the plates also!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
and yeah plates fit weird for some reason at the front, need to get a spacer or something to raise them.

Mine are screwed into the front bar (Bought it like this) on the white car above the plate holder as they don't fit in NSW. My other car has long screws, rubber washers and slimline plates... And still looks shit haha

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I actually like the look!

Want to sell me the rear VR4 badge? LOL

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
lol scavengers. yeah badges are for sale if u want them. all in perfect condition as i didnt break anything when taking them off.

something to take note tho. the 'GALANT' badge is actually like gell. not stiff like the other ones.

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
yea i think i quite like the red vr4 badge on the front grill, and i agree that with the series 2 legnums it will be a bit hard and wierd if it was de-badged, but in saying that, some people can make it look good, so it all depends on the person to person

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
You got rid of the sil? Why?

Anyway, I like the badges so I won't be taking mine off. I prefer people to know what it is...

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
the 'GALANT' badge is actually like gell. not stiff like the other ones.

I'll take those off your hands too if you like.

Then I can badge my Legnum as mental.
or, language
untangle
gunmetal
nametag
nutmeg
gunman

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
On the subject of debadging...

I debadged mine, but left the VR-4 badges on.

Then I wanted to go a bit more stealth but not completely, so I painted them with touch up paint to match the car.

Still not 100% happy with the look though.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
yeah the front badge does look good, nothing wrong with it. but i like my cars subtle.

anyone who wants the badges, PM me so i know who u are.

and yes, well the silvia ran its course, had it for 4 years and built it up, time for a new project.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
seems most people go the same way,i also debadged my entire legnum,everything but the front and rear vr4 badges

did you have any trouble with the v6 badges on the side,my paint seemed to be affected underneath those 2 badges

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
strangley enough i didnt have that V6 badge :s

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Looks the goods by my books. I love cars with no badges and the Galant just look so menacing from the front with out em'.

Well done, and done let anyone talk you into putting any of them back on!

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I just took the V6 badges off, leave em guessing. The paint underneath was slightly darker but a few washes and a polish fixed that. I actually like the other badges on the car and if I was to debadge it all i'd still keep the VR4 badge. Debadged does look sneaky tho, could mistake them as a kitted Magna if you didn't know better.

Top Bottom