Dilemma: Buy a Legnum or keep the R32 Skyline?

bonecracker

Idling at the Lights
First Name
steve
Drive
vr4 legnum
i have a r32 25det which i have had for years (hybrid turbo etc) but i came across a too gooder deal to let go a slightly damaged 96 legnum vr4 so what do i keep. the legnum is a fine car fully adjus teen suspenion,full leather interior,nice dark green paint, goes well (needs abit more boost) down side are will probably use more fuel, isn't manual, harder to work on,parts new and used are dearer feels heavy. the r32 is old,only 2 doors, rust may become a problem the suspension is hard,sick of those dodgy top arms,easy to work on and i know the vehicle.vr4 corners better, and quicker of the mark.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I think i speak on behalf of 95% of us "completely unbiased" members who would advise to keep the Legnum ;)

G

Unregistered
Legnum for sure, much nicer car and also rarer. Skylines I see on every corner

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
What do you want teh car for?
Daily duties with some great fun on the side = Legnum
Weekend warrior and track fun car = skyline
Hektik rally driver = Legnum
Fully Sick dwifta = Skyline

Simply depends waht your priorities are ;)

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Just get a Commodore.

Maybe not a bad idea. Used ones are as cheap as chips these days, even in New Zealand, where they are slightly less common and used to keep their value better. For example a guy where I work just bought a 2004 SS for NZ$8000 at auction.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Maybe not a bad idea. Used ones are as cheap as chips these days, even in New Zealand, where they are slightly less common and used to keep their value better. For example a guy where I work just bought a 2004 SS for NZ$8000 at auction.

No, it is perhaps the most epically bad idea since a record company executive decided to give the Backstreet Boys a record deal.

Apologies to any Holden or Backstreet Boys fans. In fact, they are probably one and the same.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
If you've got the option keep one of the cars as a weekender. If not I'd say go with the Leggy. Unique, fast as hell in all situations and better for gathering up a bunch of mates for a roadtrip/Barbeque because of the wagon setup.
The R32 is a cool car, but the cops think so too. ;) Legnums are pretty subtle, until you put the boot down and take to a nice twisty road. That will sell the car to you I reckon. Crazy cornering ability.:drool: AYC is great, point and shoot.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
sell them both and get an evo with antilag :p (apologies about the cross thread reference)

bonecracker

Idling at the Lights
First Name
steve
Drive
vr4 legnum
will probably keep the leggy drives real nice now i got the ajustable tein suspension sust out. but will line both cars up 2gether for a drag they do seem similar in power the vr4 will be quicker of the mark but skylines rev real hard will get more money for the skyline i think.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
It's all up to you guy. We all firmly believe you should keep the Legnum as it's just a more capable and better overall package.
Maybe you should ask the same questions on Skylines Australia if you're really unsure. See what the blokes over there reckon. They'd probably tell you to keep the Skyline (like we told you to keep the Legnum), but you never know, some smart and unbiased fellas over there who know what the Legnum VR-4 is might advise you to keep the better.
If you're more into your skyline, then keep it and sell the other. The Legnum would be happier with someone who's interested in keeping her ;)

One more thing, don't base your descision in a straight up "drag race". This does not determine what is the better overall car.
The Legnum might win the drag, but it's still not going to convince you to keep it if you're really not interested in it!

bonecracker

Idling at the Lights
First Name
steve
Drive
vr4 legnum
will keep the legnum it now suits my needs better. after driving both my advice is if your into modding a car, skyline is the way to go, cheap parts,easy to work on, tuff motor ,one turbo, chipable ecu, std injectors are good 4 200rwkw,more economical.vr4 is easy to drive, quick off the mark,with ayc and tein suspension corners like its on rails,nice roomy interior,safe to drive,faster out of the box than most skylines but has baby turbos that can't suppy enough air up high in rpm.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
...but baby turboes that can't suppy enough air up high in rpm.
Aye spot on. I noticed that on the VR-4's. After it reaches the higher rpms, there's nothing there. Lifeless. Almost seems like it becomes NA.
How can we help to eliminate this "valley of death" after it reaches that certain RPM? Besides a single turbo conversion or a massive turbo upgrade...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
it isn't a valley of death :) a valley goes up on either side. Twin turbo subaru's have a valley of death.

We have small turbos that run out of puff at high rpm. A full exhaust system and a boost controller help the problem a lot.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
will keep the legnum it now suits my needs better. after driving both my advice is if your into modding a car, skyline is the way to go, cheap parts,easy to work on, tuff motor ,one turbo, chipable ecu, std injectors are good 4 200rwkw,more economical.vr4 is easy to drive, quick off the mark,with ayc and tein suspension corners like its on rails,nice roomy interior,safe to drive,faster out of the box than most skylines but has baby turbos that can't suppy enough air up high in rpm.

Steve, keep them both- i have....plus a Sil80:D

Seriously though, line your Skyline up against my Leggy (has around 180rwkw haven't had the minceptor properly tuned yet but it'll be very close to that) and i will beat you every time pretty much everywhere.
Don't bother asking the SAU guys what you should do, they'll all say keep the Skyline.

Having had turbo Nissans for a long time, the Leggy is a much more practical car. The Leggy/Galant will cost you more to operate and the parts taek a little longer to get, but overall, the Leggy is more of a businessmans EVO, in a wagon;)

ps a Leggy with around 180-200awkw is similar in pace to a line with ~ 260rwkw and yes i'm speaking from experience

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
it isn't a valley of death :) a valley goes up on either side. Twin turbo subaru's have a valley of death.

We have small turbos that run out of puff at high rpm. A full exhaust system and a boost controller help the problem a lot.
Thanks for the tip brad. As for the valley of death, this only applies to sequential twin turbo set ups, right?

the Leggy is more of a businessmans EVO, in a wagon
Businessman's evo. Nice :D

Top Bottom