Does a series 2 bonnet bolt-on to a series 1?

G

Unregistered
Hi guys,

had a nice bus driver run into my parked legnum last week, so i have to take it in to get the front bar fixed. while i'm there i thought i'd take the trolley dents out of the bonnet but found out it would cost me near $600, which got me thinking whether i could just bolt on a white series-2 bonnet without mods?

Cheers,
Mike.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Mike, the bonnets line up and dimensions are identical except the slightly more pronounced bulge in the facelift bonnet, so yes it will fit :)

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
ill be doing the same next week,facelift bar and bonnet!
damnit i wasnt aware it was heavier,mine's heavy enough as it is

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
ill be doing the same next week,facelift bar and bonnet!
damnit i wasnt aware it was heavier,mine's heavy enough as it is

MUCH heavier.... But MUCH sexier too :)

So jealous right now. I want the facelift bonnet as well :(

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
How much heavier Dawso? Got any real figures? I was seriously thinking about tracking down a FL bonnet later on after I saw Brockys in the flesh, but if they are heaps heavier i'll stick with the bonnet I have.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
How much heavier Dawso? Got any real figures? I was seriously thinking about tracking down a FL bonnet later on after I saw Brockys in the flesh, but if they are heaps heavier i'll stick with the bonnet I have.

Noticably different in weight, i would say a good couple of kg's

I couldn't give you specifics but :p

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
But they do look damn sexy. Although, the topstage EVO bonnets look tough as and would probably set you back less then tracking down a FL bonnet.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I tried to track down a facelift bonnet to replace mine when my car was smashed.. I had troubles and shipping would be killer..

Then I looked at aftermarket ones, Fibreglass EVO style and Carbon..

Figured the Carbon was worth the extra few hundred, as it was something I wanted at one point anyway, only I had reason to get it this time :p hehe..

It's heaaaps light too! Lift it waaaay easy haha..

Fibreglass one should be fairly light too?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I would probably go with the Topstage bonnet.

I can't tell you how much heavier the S2 bonnet is, but I went to lift Dimi's bonnet at a meet (my car is a S1, his is a S2) & I went "f!@# me this is heaps heavier than mine".

This is a marked increase in weight on the S2 bonnets most likely due to the extra bulge in them. The bulge does look nice & increases the look of the car, but I don't think it's worst the cost in extra weight personally.

Go with the CF.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Make sure you get a panel beater or someone to look at the CF bonnet when you get it.. Just to make sure the under cover skin thing is stuck strong enough to the Carbon bit.. As mine wasn't.

I'm happy with the look of the Top Stage bonnet, but that was a bit of a hrmm for me.. It's fixed now, lucky my Panel Beater fixed it up!

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
if my bonnet is fixable i may have the facelift bonnet to sell,but it will most likely just be cheaper for them to paint the facelift one,and after customs costing me $1075 i need to save all the money i can

G

Unregistered
Hey guys was wondering if someone could tell me how you'd go about fitting an evo4 bonnet onto a legnum & whats required to get it fitted? Im looking at getting a pair of evo 7 seats as well and am wondering whats needed to get them fitted in my legnum as well,& if they'd fit onto the rails I have already with the evo type seats fitted to it. Sorry for over doing the topic a bit.lol'

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Charlton are you five? Alternating CAPS is freaken annoying... :banghead:

No, an Evo bonnet will not fit on a VR4, much shorter and a bit narrower too. Seats should fit but rails will require modification AFAIK.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Someone needs to try the Carpoint bonnets... Or am I going to have to be the first?

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
after receiving my facelift bonnet,it is heavier but i didnt think by much,when i get it back from the shop ill try weigh it.the series 1 weighs 18kg

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
FL Bonnet with Evo vents fixes the weight issue, funny that ;-)

Top Bottom