Driving from Perth to Sydney

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Curious to hear from anyone on here who's driven across the Nullabor before? Am looking at driving from Perth to Sydney but I've only been as far west as Mildura.

Things to look out for, places to stay or refuel. Warnings about wildlife etc...

I've never done it before but am entertaining the prospect but yea it's a long trip.

Keen to hear from anyone!

mcs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1997 Galant VR-4
I've been across, seriously is just a whole bunch of nothing, very barron and boring driving, not much in terms of scenery till you hit the coasts.

Its beautiful in its own way, but for hours on end its a bit much.

there are long stretches without fuel or anything, so prob best to carry a jerry, and make sure you have a good spare just incase of a puncture.

At night if there's been recent rain, watch out as the roo's come and drink off road/side of road, thats generally along the nullabor.

Most of the places you stay at are pretty average, the 150km staight is very boring and tedious, also watch out for the large trucks on the road, plenty of oversized trucks that pop out of nowhere.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
I was told never to stop for a nap in the middle of nowhere cos, the natives appear out of the blue and try to rob ya.

True story this happened to a mate of mine and they stole his cd collection. Also if they stop you on the road and ask to borrow a tool or something never open the door or window.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
LOL Well I was born here so that makes me a native, or are you referring to our darker skinned brothers who we stole the land from? :p

Don't worry I have my wits about me!

ozy

Idling at the Lights
First Name
adam
Drive
99 legnum vr4, 89 celica gt4
ive done it 7 or 8 times. most distances between fuel stops is 250km (dont stop at nullabour roadhouse if can help as its the most expensive), last time i done it in jan moving from vic back to wa, missus on p plates in other car we done it in 4 days...quickest i have done is just over 2 days. most times i was in my ute an had no prblem putting the swag along side an sleeping in truck stops. wildlife is same as anywhere roos an emus an while still west eagles, altough coming across this time only 2 roos from bendigo to perth. and if ur going up through broken hill then down (as i do when im going to newcastle) just out of port augusta are some of the best windy hill roads ull come across :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I did notice the sticker!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yea I guessed your username on here. He did mention you to me :)

Thanks for just calling me a larrakin & nothing worse lol ;)

Was a bit renching to watch it drive away....

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
I did the opposite just a few weeks ago.. if you want 98 it will be a stretch but you can just make the whole trip on 98 only but i had to use the iphone app for all 3 service stations to find them all, plus, a few recently have 98 that didnt before.

we stayed in kalgoorlie, border village, morgan south australia and then new south wales.

Did Syd=>Morgan in 1 day, Morgan => border Village another day, border => kalgoorlie and then kalgoorlie => perth

You could do border=>perth in 1 day but we had friends&family in kal so stopped the night.

fair warning NSW has the WORST roads, seriously like nothing you've seen in perth and speed/safety cameras EVERYWHERE.

and you'll need to register for a toll guest pass.

we stopped for fuel in (incomplete list, missed a few we found on the way):
Wagga Wagga
Hay
Mildura
Port Augusta
Ceduna
[border village has no 98 but great accomodation]
Eucla [12km from border ivllage]
Caiguna
Norseman
Kalgoorlie
Southern Cross