ECU Remapping - Possibilities?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Sorry lee was too busy over the weekend. Might try again this weekend, not looking good between finding time for the missus and other arrangements.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I'm going to IS motor racing tonight to get a noise listened to.

They have a 4 wheel dyno and work on loads of Evo's.

Apparently it's only $300 to get an evo ecu remapped.

Anyhow, i'm going to take the info from this thread and show it to him and see if he will have a go with my leg.

I'll let you know!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I doubt they would be able to do anything, as they would only remap Evo 7,8,9 which is supported by ECU Flash. Its the EVO 5&6 which have the same chip type as our ECU's... but keep us informed none the less ;)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
What they might tell you is that they remap Evo V's and VI's, but what they would do for that is remap an Evo VII or VIII ECU as they are interchangeable with the earlier evo's due to haveing same Engine/driveline config, sort of like using the facelift ECU in a pre-facelift Legnum. HOWEVER if they are able to actually remap the VI (Which I doubt) then they MAY be able to help you out ;)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Hmm... I'll give them a call. The noise I was worried about I have Identified so I don't think I CBF'd making the trip.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Do it mate!! If Someone actually succeeds in this endeavour it will make my day.. (and possibly save everyone a s%#t oad of cash)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Barp they can only do Evo 7+

I was going to ask if we could run an evo 7 ECU.. but then I guess your going to fork out ~$500 for one anyhow and you might as well get a piggy back.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hey Hotwire,

I now have the factory ECU board out of my car, is it any use to you (or anyone who wants to play with it)?

It will just be sitting in my garage otherwise :)

cheers

Lee

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Lee - If you pop the cover off your ECU you will see what chip it is - Let us know what it is and we can go from there. I would say thought that its probably not much good, as being a 1996 ECU it will likely have the MH7201 chip (same as my car) which is not writeable, but you never know, you may get lucky ;)

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I would say thought that its probably not much good, as being a 1996 ECU it will likely have the MH7201 chip (same as my car) which is not writeable, but you never know, you may get lucky ;)

Yep, MH7201FS...

The offer is still there if someone wants to play around it.

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
upon sourcing a new ecu for my 'track car' i noticed these guys also do a plugin daughterboard type unit for all evo's and given that our ecu chips are the same as certain evo's...this might be an option?

http://www.vi-pec.com/page_files/pluginecu.htm

i havent emailed them yet, ill leave that up to Lee (hotwire) or someone else that has the complete knowledge of our ecu's to ask the right questions.

just an idea anyways :)

oh and they also have distributors here in australia (brett west for us SA guys).

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
upon sourcing a new ecu for my 'track car' i noticed these guys also do a plugin daughterboard type unit for all evo's and given that our ecu chips are the same as certain evo's...this might be an option?

http://www.vi-pec.com/page_files/pluginecu.htm

i havent emailed them yet, ill leave that up to Lee (hotwire) or someone else that has the complete knowledge of our ecu's to ask the right questions.

just an idea anyways :)

oh and they also have distributors here in australia (brett west for us SA guys).

Yep, I have a modified Evo 4 one currently running my car :)

I haven't posted about it yet as there is still an issue with the tacho stuttering that they need to sort out.

But they car feels great, unfortunately due to a slipping clutch I still don't know how good as I can't put my foot down :(

Expect a full write about it all soon. In the mean time, if you are in the market for an standalone ECU, speak to Mark at Godzilla Motorsport (contact details in VR4 friendly workshop thread). He can do one fitted and tuned, including map sensor and turbosmart boost solenoid for $2500. He is based in Brisbane but I'm sure can arrange something with your local ViPec dealer.

cheers

Lee

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hhhmm... I might be into looking for an aftermarket ecu as well as im not quite as satisfied with my s-afc's outcome after getting it tuned..

Top Bottom