ECU Remapping - Possibilities?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Yep, I have a modified Evo 4 one currently running my car :)

I haven't posted about it yet as there is still an issue with the tacho stuttering that they need to sort out.

But they car feels great, unfortunately due to a slipping clutch I still don't know how good as I can't put my foot down :(

Expect a full write about it all soon.

Interested to read the results Lee!!! :D

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Mind saying what happened? I was given the impression that SAFC's worked well on our cars

had it tuned at Mercury Motorsport.. their dyno person had a chat with me about it.. and said that when they raised the boost up @ 13psi, the engine was pinging.. which we all know isn't safe in every engine..

i think he said that either lower the boost a little but may still be risky.. or leave it at 10psi..

i think couple of things contributed to it.. the cooler being painted black.. just double checked the paint and it is heat resistant.. so there goes its own cooler effectiveness.. next week i'll replace the cooler with a non painted one.. and hopefully i have my hard pipe kit fitted by then as well..

G

Unregistered

I haven't posted about it yet as there is still an issue with the tacho stuttering that they need to sort out.

But they car feels great, unfortunately due to a slipping clutch I still don't know how good as I can't put my foot down :(

Expect a full write about it all soon. In the mean time, if you are in the market for an standalone ECU, speak to Mark at Godzilla Motorsport (contact details in VR4 friendly workshop thread). He can do one fitted and tuned, including map sensor and turbosmart boost solenoid for $2500. He is based in Brisbane but I'm sure can arrange something with your local ViPec dealer.

cheers

Lee
just looking into these units abit more and they are becoming more and more "like able".

these are effectively an autronic unit made by ray hall turbochargers in conjunction with LINK in NZ. so for a cheaper price you essentially get an autronic ecu with very similar, if not the same features and functions.

order being placed soon :)

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
just looking into these units abit more and they are becoming more and more "like able".

these are effectively an autronic unit made by ray hall turbochargers in conjunction with LINK in NZ. so for a cheaper price you essentially get an autronic ecu with very similar, if not the same features and functions.

order being placed soon :)

Exactly. They are a bargain for the feature set. Some stuff is still being developed/tested (like closed loop boost control) but it's just a matter up updating the firmware down the track once it become available.

G

Unregistered
Actually they are not a autronic copy, but a rebadged Link unit. Nothing wrong with the link brand either either.

but also remember - we also have developed the Haltech E8/E11 plug and play kits for these vehicles as well which have the same advanced features as this brand.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY

Expect a full write about it all soon. In the mean time, if you are in the market for an standalone ECU, speak to Mark at Godzilla Motorsport (contact details in VR4 friendly workshop thread). He can do one fitted and tuned, including map sensor and turbosmart boost solenoid for $2500. He is based in Brisbane but I'm sure can arrange something with your local ViPec dealer.

cheers

Lee

Lee - this intrigues me in the fact that you are running a "modified" EVO4 equivalent.. What about it has been modified do you know? What I'm getting at is that the connectors are obviously the same, and I'm guessing a fair few of the pin-outs are too - so if this unit could be be adapted from an EVO 4 unit, and EVO 4's can be adapted to run an Evo 7,8 ECU, could the EVO 8 ECU not be modified to run in our cars?

G

Unregistered
The EVO ECU's couldn't be adapted because of the extra injector and ignition drivers required to run the V6 engine.

Also would be interesting to see what items the modified EVO plug and play kit is not running, like the alternator control and air conditioning because there were quite a few outputs needed to run a lot of anciliary devices on the VR4 vehicles.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I think the point of modding an older EVO ECU to run in our cars is that most ANY shop with a 4WD dyno will be able to tune it for you for biscuits.

What the expert said :D

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
David - I realise that the drivers aren't in the orignal EVO ECU software, BUT is it possible to flash a ROM file from a VR4 ECU to the EVO ECU? ie. as long as the mapping were very similar between the two, could it work? OR by drivers do you mean there wouldnt be sufficient relay's available on the board? because if it were a relay issue, this is what i was getting at with Leebutt's post that he is using a modified EVO 4 item. ie. is it the hardware or the software that is modified?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Lee - this intrigues me in the fact that you are running a "modified" EVO4 equivalent.. What about it has been modified do you know? What I'm getting at is that the connectors are obviously the same, and I'm guessing a fair few of the pin-outs are too - so if this unit could be be adapted from an EVO 4 unit, and EVO 4's can be adapted to run an Evo 7,8 ECU, could the EVO 8 ECU not be modified to run in our cars?

Hi,

I believe they added two extra "things" for the injectors. The aircon all works fine, and from their testing the alternator control is not an issue (they measured the charge going to the battery and it was fine).

I gave Mark the full wiring diagram so he may have had to swap a few pins around but he said it was all easy stuff and nothing too hard.

As for modifying a later model ECU, I don't know, but Ray at ViPec is very helpful (although very busy). If you managed to get him on the phone I'm sure he could tell you all sorts of geeky stuff about them :)

Another selling point on the ViPec is that it's all reversable as there was no modification of the loom or need to mess about with crank/cam angle sensors like with the Haltech. So if I wanted to I could easily revert it to the stock computer.

cheers

Lee

G

Unregistered
You can't use the factory EVO because there are no actual extra drivers on the circuit board.

The vipec is the same as the haltech, in the sense that it has extra or unused injector / ignition drivers that can be activated or removed as necessary.

And we are working with haltech to write new firmware for the Mitsubishi V6 engines so that we don't have to modify the cam angle sensor in the future, although its only a 1 hour job to modify anyway.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Thanks david, thats the answer I was looking for (Although not the answer I wanted to hear :( )

G

Unregistered
yes Irreversible, but realistically, lets face it, once you have gone aftermarket with all the benefits of power that it provides, for what reason would you go back to standard for :)

And as I was saying, we are working with Haltech now to write new firmware upgrades so that this isn't necessary in the future. Same upgrades should also work to enable us to run the tacho 100% properly.

G

Unregistered
Thats okay good for everyone to know exactly what is involved

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Just a small bump, my 2001 half cut has an ecu that will be for sale shortly. I will check tonight if it is 7202 or 7203. If anyone is interested in it for tuning/reflashing purposes I suggest they pm me before I offer it up for sale.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Just a small bump, my 2001 half cut has an ecu that will be for sale shortly. I will check tonight if it is 7202 or 7203. If anyone is interested in it for tuning/reflashing purposes I suggest they pm me before I offer it up for sale.

PM sent..... going going GONE

Top Bottom