ECU Remapping - Possibilities?

G

Unregistered
1998 pre-facelift auto, and 1998 super VR4 both have the MD340289

G

Unregistered
What makes u think that one of the ECU's is remappable ? why would one ecu out of all of them have a different chip set ? that would be awfully strange of them to do that ...

Strange yes but the evidence is there that different year models have different ECUs both externally and internally this is reflected in the different PNs and cores used for them. The chipsets that were used seem to also coincide with whatever mitsi were already making quantities of at the time. So I guess its what ever was easier for them. Strange, yes but, it does seem its the case:confused:

Add to that the fact that the Ruskies appear have already been able to flash an OEM ECU ( quite a few from the same car club)of the same part number and chipset code it does seem rather promising that something could be achieved. If its all something that has been somewhat lost in translation and if our attempts are unsuccessful then at least we've got a concrete yes or no answer.;)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
What makes u think that one of the ECU's is remappable ? why would one ecu out of all of them have a different chip set ? that would be awfully strange of them to do that ...

Paul,
as posted in the first post of this thread, there were 2 chips identified by the russians as used in the VR4 ECUs - the MH7201 and the MH7202. The MH7201 is based on an M16 core chipset, which has not been able to be re-flashed. The MH7202 chipset (as posted by scocia) is based on the Hitachi H8/500 chipset, which is as is used in the Evo V and VI ecu's. ECUFlash only has support for reading of the H8 chipset, not re-flashing as he is having trouble with the coding for writing to the chipset.

Now, the tuner I was speaking to here in SA doesnt use ECU Flash as many others around the world do, but rather a Mitsubishi propietry unit/software that he can read and write evo V and VI ROMs. NOW He tried to read my ECU from a 1997, which contained the MH7201 chipset, but the unit would not connect. He then tried also on Steve's 01 legnum, but again it would not read it.

This led to the investigation/realisation that in the 01 onwards ECU's they again changed the chipset to be a mitsubishi part MH7203. We don't know what chipset this is based on, but it appears that it seems to not be a H8/500 as ECU Flash and the Mitsubishi propietry unit wont read/write it. Also CVR4 members in the UK have not been able to read 2001+ ECU's with the MH7203 chip with ECU Flash either, but have been fine with 1998,1999 and 2000 facelift models - 99.9% likely with the MH7202 processor

So there is my little essay of where I'm at at this point in time. Hopefully if I can ever get hold of an ECU with the MH7202 chipset, I'll know for sure, until then it's probably going to stall a bit.

Lee

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
TA-DA! The final list:
Pre-Facelift
1996 manual - MD340288
1996 auto - MD340289
1997 manual - MD340288
1997 auto - MD340289
1998 manual - MD340288
1998 auto - MR578135

Facelift
1998 manual - MD340288
1998 auto - MD362895
1999 manual - MD340288
1999 Auto - MD362895
2000 manual - MR578135
2000 auto - MD340288
2001 manual - MR578135
2001 auto - MR578137

While it is complete, im not convinced the chassis number I had for a 1998 pre-facelift auto was correct. If someone has a 1998 pre-facelift auto I would love to hear from you and share your Chassis # so it can be checked in CAPS.

So my conclusion is, I need to find an MD340288 or MD362895 with plastic case and hopefully it would contain the MH7202 processor.

And Steve - yes i still would like you to check what chip is in your ECU so we can definately rule out it's the MH7203 chip ;)

G

Unregistered
ok lee, ill check at some stage over the weekend. also you have forgotten to include the '02 facelift's as some were made in 2002 :)

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
LEE- If you get your ass to my place tomorrow arvo, I'll be installing my coilovers. You are more than welcome to pull my car apart and have a look-see...

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Cheers Joel, but I wont be able to make it tomorrow. If you have a chance it should only take you 30 mins to find out what ECU part # is (using the thread here) and also what chip is inside (only 4 screws). if by chance you have the MH7202 ECU you should get in contact with SKR about if he can read/write the ROM in your car ;)

G

Unregistered
I have the ECU edit with the maps from one of the russian dudes, which I have had for about 6 months. I suggested that this had been done a look time ago, but got shot down in flames. I'm glad this thread has brought back some life to the debate. I have the 2000 auto ECU, so I'll rip it out later and check inside to see what I have. If this turns out true then those ecu's are going to worth a few dollars ... LOL

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
While it is complete, im not convinced the chassis number I had for a 1998 pre-facelift auto was correct. If someone has a 1998 pre-facelift auto I would love to hear from you and share your Chassis # so it can be checked in CAPS.
JFYI you don't need a chassis number to look up ANY part number in CAPS - you can just key the model in and then select part numbers dependant on manufacture date ;) If you want to ensure you get the exact replacement part for that model, though, using an original VIN is a good idea :)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Guys I am totally interested in this, cause I am gonna need to replace my ecu totally to get injector control, and this is stupidly expensive. I've got till Dec to get it sorted. If there is anything that can be done to speed up this process, let me know.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Madhav the only way to speed up the process is for me to get my hands on a facelift ECU with the MH7202 chipset to see if it can be re-mapped.

If it can, then we can proceed from there, but until I have a 1998-2000 ECU with the correct chipset we won't know any more.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
^Based on the results Kenneth has had in NZ with a 2002 ECU, and that your ECU couldnt be read either, I believe the 01+ cars have the MH7203 chipset which is again different to the EVO VI's and therefore can't be mapped. Thats why I want you to confirm that your ECU does in fact have the MH7203 chipset.... so get to it and take it out and look for me! :)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
ok thanks lee, I'm overseas for the next 10 weeks, i'm hoping someone, somewhere has one? Surely someone from NZ can source one from trademe or kempsys or some other wrecker?

G

Unregistered
lol - a bit hard when its up on the hoist at the workshop this week getting the trans fixed.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
ok thanks lee, I'm overseas for the next 10 weeks, i'm hoping someone, somewhere has one? Surely someone from NZ can source one from trademe or kempsys or some other wrecker?

In answer to your question:
Kempys want $315 for an MD362895 - Robbery!!

and I've had the same quote from a number of wreckers in NZ. Im not willing to pay that much until I know for certain it can be re-mapped, as then if it can be it would make it $660 for remap + $300 ECU = $960 which is much better than an aftermarket/interceptor setup ;)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Total cost is a lot better than the cost of the full haltech system, but yeah, we need some 'research' funding... If we all put in a hundred bucks or so it could be worth it, or else if anyone had a spare and would be willing to donate it for research purposes?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
The only way this is going to work is with this guy's Mitsu hardware that he zigged from when he worked there right?

It looks like mine will fall into the right category, is there any other ways we think re-writing to the ECU would be possible? Ie something I can try local.

Top Bottom