Electrical issue (out of the blue)

Hyjinx

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jeff
Drive
01 Legnum
89 w124 Merc
Just driving home in the rain, car had been sitting a undercover car park all day, wipers, stereo, headlights, a/c are all on put foot on brake wipers go in to slow-mo, stereo turns off, revs drop. turn all these items off continued driving.

Put multi meter on the battery when i got home and was around 12.6v with all those things on. pressed the brakes and it tried to cut out again. Possible causes? alternator? battery? earths? something else?

any help would be awesome as car is my daily and cant really afford to have it off the road atm.

benny__S

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ben
Drive
Legnum VR4
Or to do a load test on your battery, have someone start your car whilst your multimeter is hooked to your battery . You should see somewhere between 10-12v for a healthy battery but if it drops quite dramatically then it's a good sign of a bad battery

Hyjinx

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jeff
Drive
01 Legnum
89 w124 Merc
I will check this tomorrow. What size battery should i actually have?? This battery is NS40ZLMF AMP HR 35, reserve capacity 52, CCA 310. the date and year on it is not indicated tho.

benny__S

Hesitantly Boosting
Lifetime Member
First Name
Ben
Drive
Legnum VR4
Not too sure the oem size, I lashed out for an optima yellow top due to my car sitting for long periods. Good luck

Hyjinx

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jeff
Drive
01 Legnum
89 w124 Merc
Its just a headunit stock speakers. No amps or anything to interesting.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Man this literally just happened to me 4 weeks ago in the rain too. Was the battery , but took me a while to figure that out too because it charged fully on my battery charger and tested 12v on my multimeter but i had noone to check my cranking amps as i was alone. Bought a new battery and all good.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Same symptoms as you but i couldnt even start the car after that.

Hyjinx

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jeff
Drive
01 Legnum
89 w124 Merc
I changed the battery on friday but today it seems to still be an issue. I drive it abit over the weekend and 2 and from work as usual but seems to be draining itself.

Who have is the best shop in sydney to buy an alternator through?

And ive read its a bastard to remove the alternator lifting motor whatnot. I also read it can be done through wheel well??

Hyjinx

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jeff
Drive
01 Legnum
89 w124 Merc
Gave him a call this morning hahaha thanks

Top Bottom