Engine splash guard yes or no

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hi all, well my splash guard is in about 3 pieces and being held together with cable ties. I am after thoughts on removing it and putting up with road grime on the engine or keeping it. Any thoughts?

Gary

MooIsTaken

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Jordan
Drive
'99 Galant SeriesII Type V
Haha was just about to make a post like this as well, mine got a big jar from a pot hole and is only just hanging on. Is that the only use for it?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
I took mine off as it was only just held on. There's no problem not having it.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
I didnt have one on the Legnum, and I dont have one on the Galant and so far nothing's really gone wrong from it's missing presence.

Sloth

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mike
Drive
Galant VR4, Legnum VR4
The undertray on modern cars is there for aerodynamic reasons, not just to keep engine bay clean.

Smoother airflow under car = less turbulance = less drag = lower cdi.

Also:

Smoother airflow under car = faster airflow under car = lower pressure under car = improved roadholding.

This is why race teams spend so much time on the underpanels; "aero parts" are ofter underbody diffusers etc.

In the extreme, some race teams in the 70's put side skirts on the car which would brush the road, increasing the "ground effect". STP even stuck a bloody big fan on one to help suck it onto the road! All this was considered unfair. This is part of the reason behind the minimum ride height in F1 cars today, and the bit of wood that has to be on the bottom of the car to prevent them being to low.....

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Mine was snapped and buckled in my accident so I've been rolling without one since Feburary!

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
The undertray on modern cars is there for aerodynamic reasons, not just to keep engine bay clean.

Smoother airflow under car = less turbulance = less drag = lower cdi.

Also:

Smoother airflow under car = faster airflow under car = lower pressure under car = improved roadholding.

This is why race teams spend so much time on the underpanels; "aero parts" are ofter underbody diffusers etc.

In the extreme, some race teams in the 70's put side skirts on the car which would brush the road, increasing the "ground effect". STP even stuck a bloody big fan on one to help suck it onto the road! All this was considered unfair. This is part of the reason behind the minimum ride height in F1 cars today, and the bit of wood that has to be on the bottom of the car to prevent them being to low.....

This is what I was lead to believe also but mine flaps around when I sit on 100k's making for an annoying noise. Might be time to remove it or try and find a replacement, if anyone knows where I can find on please let me know.

Gary

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I have a brand new one, but haven't attached it 'cause it doesn't fit with the aftermarket front bar. I have a solution for that, however...

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
can some one post so pics of one?

might get one made up out of aluminium

G

Unregistered
Which clips are they? Do you have a part number or photo? I've got the clip that uses a central philips-head. Bit of a PITA.

Haven't run with the undertray for almost 2 years now but will consider placing it back.

Those philips head ones are called 'scrivets' and they suck. I replaced mine with push-type fasteners, just flick them up to remove.

There are three difference sizes you need to get, I can't remember off the top of my head what they were though. I'll have to check.

One size for the cross-member and sides, another size for along the front edge and another size again for the two metal front bar retaining brackets that hang down.

This is the type I recommend:

A20247-2T.jpg

Top Bottom