EOI : Fitness and food thread ???

G

Unregistered
hi guys...

I've been a member in here for about a year.... but admittedly I haven't been on here much... but would like to contribute to something

thoughts on a fitness - diet - general recipe thread?

I'm sure lots of you go to gyms and would like to share your progress and tips with others....

cheers!!!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Yea, I really should start exercising more.

I'm going to use the tiptronic function a lot more now rather than leave it in auto lol..

Good idea though.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Does getting drunk and dancing lots constitute not eating much and doing heaps of exercise?

I don't think the health and fitness thing has ever been asked. Basically everyone here is in IT or are engineers, or other professions leaving us not much time to worry about anything else lol..... Most people would refer to us as salad dodgers ;)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Dawso:
Average meal size - 480
Calories in 1 beer - 163
Calories in 10 beers 1630
Takes a hell of a lot of dancing to burn off the equivalent of 4 meals!! LOL

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
As for exercise, before my son was born, 5-7 45 minute walks a week and watched what I ate got me down to 90kg (was 102).

Since lachlann has been born between work, family, playtime I'm lucky to get in 1 walk a week and I still watch what I eat (no maccas, takeaway etc) and I'm sitting steady around 94-96kg. Im happy there though as I simply dont have time for more exercise.

oh, im 6'4" so according to BMI I'm overweight, I call bullshit! any skinnier than 90kg and I look like skin and bone and you could snap me with a twig :p At 94kg I look and feel healthy, so don't always follow what your BMI should be.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Dawso:
Average meal size - 480
Calories in 1 beer - 163
Calories in 10 beers 1630
Takes a hell of a lot of dancing to burn off the equivalent of 4 meals!! LOL

+ 10 shots of tequila....

And when I dance, I dance HARD lol

G

Unregistered
lol to some of the above posts...

mate throw the BMI out the window... its an ancient way of measurment ....

im 176cm 79kgs and it indicates that im overweight.... lol

i fully agree with the post about the gyms.... IMHO there is nothing that beats execise in while absorbing natures surroundings...

i use the gyms for specific purpose for clients... if there is a machine that is needed for a specific goal i will use it... otherwise i will get them outside as much as possible...

As for food... agreed not everyone can or wants to live and eat like a model or a bodybuilder... admittedly i started my career to be just like that... but i have found
that my drive has changed to helping people "better" thier lifestyle choices.. rather than "restrict" them....

I have been a chef for 10 years as well... so that comes in handy with the whole fitness thing... lol.... good food doesnt have to be boring at all..... :p

and as hotwire mentioned... its how you feel... fitness is a lifestyle "choice" and i believe in that wholeheartedly.... it should be something you enjoy and something that makes you feel good... i like to associate "health and fitness" with exactly that.... being healthy and feeling good!... not 21"gun shows and chicks so lean they stop cycling....

if you guys are interested i would like to do a small write up on some healthy habits and some basic eating tips :p

anyways... wont ramble on any longer....lol....

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Health habbits and eating tips writeup sounds good, BUT I would like to see some of your decent tasting recipes THAT ARE QUICK TO COOK!

Being time poor my wife and I struggle to cook good tasting low fat meals, so the more recipes the better ;)

G

Unregistered
Hotwire ... deal... ive got a few that you might like... i'll get on em when i get back from work in a few hours buddy :p

AUSVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
'00 Mitsubishi Legnum
Drink low-carb beer. There's 99 Calories in a stubby of Super Dry!

Eating healthy is easy and takes no more time. Yesterday for lunch I made a nice chicken breast (I'm on holidays can't you tell). I marinated the chicken in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper and other spices for about 20 minutes, then cooked it on a reasonably high heat in a dry frying pan for 4 mins each side. Let the chicken rest, deglazed the pan with a little white wine, poured it over the chicken and served with salad. Easy!

I've also almost perfected a very healthy home made pizza. Mmmm

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
I'm about 6ft and currently hover between 90-97 or so. Life just gets in the way of my motivation to get back under 90 where I look better, healthy at least. *pats small pot belly*

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Does getting drunk and dancing lots constitute not eating much and doing heaps of exercise?
haha i hope so. i dont drink but i go clubbing a lot and work up a sweat on the dance floor.

ive always had some type of gym membership, but never really took it seriously.. until recently.

i find it really easy to head to the gym after work, no way of getting off the couch once i get home. somehow turned into a massive fan of body pump. do it 3 times a week and can push double the weight i started with.

also do 10kms on the treadmil/cross trainer a week.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I just ate mcdonalds and now, just like every time I do, I feel seedy.. But the build up to getting it is awesome!

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I'd be keen on a fitness / diet / healthy recipes thread.

I used to have Fitness First membership.

It was a PITA turning up during the lunch hour only to see all these Arnie wannabes with 5 sets of weights on the ground next to them and blowing themselves air kisses in front of the mirror.

G

Unregistered
Hotwire -

when i think fast ... i usually think stir fry or pasta ... i personally dont eat a lot of it myself... but it is quick and if you plan ahead you can cook more so that its ready when you come home and all ya gotta do is refresh and add sauce or whatever...

I dunno if you have tried wholemeal pasta... but give it a whirl... it'll take a bit of getting used to if you havent had it before... its heaps better for you ... its kinda like switching from white bread to wholemeal bread... :p

1. Chilli prawns with whole garlic and basil

-prawns ( any kind... dont need to go all out here the frozen coles ones will do for home.. not the best but meh.... )
-diced onions
-whole garlic cloves smashed with husk left on
-chop chilli ( get whatever flosts your boat.... birdseye.... habenero... blah blah )
-Cherry tomato 1/2's
-white wine ( for deglazing )
-Cooked pasta ( hot preferably )
-Olive oil
-Basil leaves ( or whatever herb you like for that matter )

2. heat pan till decently hot... add olive oil... being careful not to let it smoke...
3. add garlic with husks, chilli and prawns...
4. when the tails change colour and the chillis are freagrant add your onions...
5. when the onions are transparent add the wine ( decent amount ) as this will be the base flavour of your sauce....
6. when you see the wine go "shiny" add your pasta and cherry tomato
7. bring it together then when you switch the flame off add your whole basil leaves and season with salt and pepper...

ps. if i were to cook this in the industry this is the point where we would plaster it with butter to thicken the sauce... here i would skip this.. but feel free to add olive oil... the sauce should not be runny... nor dry... experiment with it and have fun...

Shopping tip for everyone

The next time your in the shops.... and you buy something off the shelf... it is a law in australia to list in the product from highest to lowest in the ingredients....

so be aware that a lot of the product on the shelf will have sugar very high up the list :0 not only that... they can disguise it by having 3 or more types of sugars in the list....

:p

cheers

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
It was a PITA turning up during the lunch hour only to see all these Arnie wannabes with 5 sets of weights on the ground next to them and blowing themselves air kisses in front of the mirror.
lol.

yeah those dudes spend more time posing than actually doing anything with the weights. then take protein powder to make up for hard work.

i just like to get in and out craming as much in as possible in 1.5 hours.

G

Unregistered
yep unfortunatley that seems to be the way with MOST gyms... you will always have the resident narcissicts... stevep that a pretty good attitude to have... it is best to try and get your workout done as quickly and efficiently as possible... then bounce out ... fuel up and recover...

i think thats what steers so many people away from the gyms.... but i guess the same element exists in almost every point of interest... im guessing there are dickheads and posers that drive VR4's lol.... i cant drive my silvia around on weekends without some other silvia dickhead ruining my experience for me.... lol... last weekend i thought i'd take it out to fill up on gas.... i get to a set of lights 3 blocks away from my house... they go green... all of a sudden another s13 steps out sideways from beind the car behind me... snaps 2nd as he gets beside me and continues to stand on his brake as he roasts up the hill ... o_O.... i get to the next traffic light and the car behind me pulls up next to me and abuses me .... LOL..... guilty for having the same car.... but by no means assosiation.... LOL.... oh well... lets hope VR4 never gets to that....

anyways....

another recipe to try

the often overlooked salad...

quick and damn easy....

dressing i tried last night

-Red wine vinegar 1/3
-Spanish olive oil 2/3 ( peppery i like it )
-spoonfull of hot english mustard... seeded or dijon would be nice too
-chopped garlic
-thyme leaves ( dunk in hot water before picking your herbs... more fragrant )
-salt and pepper
-a good shake and its done

Salad Componets

- I poached my chicken breast... i cut it down the middle to thin it... then in a pot on the stove start to bring the water to boil...add a little salt and any extra seasonings if you like ( lemon rind... bay leaf... chilli blah blah ) as it starts to come to heat put the chicken strips in slowly to make sure the water can cover all the surface area of the chicken... than when the water boils..... turn the stove off... and let the chicken poach in the hot water.... it will cook as you prepare the rest of the salad... and will stay moist and soft for you....

-Spinach ( or you can use whatever you like
-Asparagus blanched in the chicken stock
-Roasted capsicum
-cherry tomato
-Pumpkin nuts ( you can use whatever nut you want
-Chopped Chilli ( this is not needed but cracked pepper is da bomb!!! )
-Spanish onions
-Toasted rye bread ripped into pieces and tossed through for texture

mix all up in a bowl...
add dressing....
take out chicken and slice thinly... season with salt and pepper ( and chilli :p )
toss through
then top with avocado and enjoy...

I am lacose intollerant... but for those that like cheese a bit of cottage cheese and pesto thought the salad is a nice twist... and for those that like danish fetta... a little bit will go nicely as well...

well that took 10 - 15 mins... so worries ... no fuss... and if you think its not enough to fill ya up? just add roast pumpkin or sweet potato... :)

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
I am pretty stuffed after 9 and a half hours of work i am an apprentice boilermaker by trade , what would be a good work out routine at the gym that wont kill what's left of my energy but at the same time strengthening up a little

G

Unregistered
Chris I got a great one for ya... it's basic but it works... I just replied to another thread on this iPhone a minute ago... i'll write it up as soon as I get to the pc as these things are a little tedious to write with :)

G

Unregistered
hey guys i was a personal trainer and im currently a100m and 200m sprinter , new blood definatly knows his shit for adecent simple diet ,definatly follow what he has written for results :)

Top Bottom