EOI : Fitness and food thread ???

G

Unregistered
I'm highly sensitive to lactose... and it's an easy way to accumulate extra calories without having to eat more :)

Dave45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David Agius
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S
If I lose some weight.. Say, 20kg?

Will my car go faster? :)

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
So, how does a ~6' male who weighs a poofteenth over 60kg put on weight?

I have a gym membership starting this week and want to get my weight up to 75 odd kilograms.

Keep in mind, for the last 23 years, I've eaten anything fatty or healthy and it has no effect on my weight.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Joel - building muscle mass is your goal - clearly you dont put on fat due to natural high metabolism.
Muscle mass is gained by concentrated weight training - high weights low reps causing major muscle distress (but not damage) and then plenty of protein to repair said muscles - basically want protein intake as per earlier posts in this thread ;)

about 4 years ago I put on about 5kg of muscle mass in around 3-4 months of going to the gym - was fun! :)

(Im sure either new blood or Trev will add more)

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
im into fitness and diet.. very much so lol

My current diet consists of 0 alcohol, absolutely none.
1: 150g cereal
2: 150g mrm gainer in water
3: 300g lean meat, 150g rice/pasta 100g veggies
4: 150g mrm gainer in water
5: 300g lean meat, 150g rice/pasta, 100g veggies

Monday, Wednesday, Friday i have a very heavy workout plan, including deadlifts, squats, bench press, and quite a few others depending on the day.. also alternating between bars and dumbells each week to give a bit of variation.

This is ideally how im training atm, i stuck to this for a few months quite well however eating that much can be costly - not to mention F**KING HARD to fit in your belly! but yeah thats my target diet, and the training takes about 45min - 1hr every monday wednesday friday. I train alone, so no wait time between machines etc.

So far ive put on about 6kg and kept at 8% bodyfat. I weigh 72kg atm, looking to get to 85 at 8% in the long run. Hopefully sooner rather than later, it should be possible within 12-18mths - its just hard to eat enough.

edit - be prepared to be using the bathroom at least 2-3 times a day on this diet LOL

G

Unregistered
Sly... if you are a "hard gainer" you'll have to compensate by increasing your calorie intake until you get some movement in either weight or strength... the workouts are merely the stimulus for growth.. and the body has to "recover" before it "repairs" and grows... keep your workouts simple for the timebeing.... stick to your basic compounds ( Squats, Deadlift, and Bench ) and then finish with isolations... eat "adequate calories" ... eat 6 - 8 times a day.... and you WILL start to put on....

IF.. you would like... only IF.... write a 1 week food journal of what, when and quantity.... for the whole week... you can e-mail it to me and ill see what could assist you in you goal.... also... send us or post up your current workout log... that would be handy too... and dont forget to enjoy it... :)

FROZEN

your routine looks good .. it is important to mix up every few weeks or so... i never stick to the same routine any longer than 3 weeks tops.... the body is so quick to adapt its not funny :p... your gains sound awesome man!!! im 75kg's myself and i have been 85 previously at 8% BF and i know how hard it is to eat that much food lol... add some eggs and a shake before bed ... it will probably help.... dont forget to adjust your eating as you get bigger... the bigger you get ... the more food you will need to continue your growth to your target goal.... another thing that helped me was balancing out 45% of my daily calories from fats... this doesnt always work for everyone as everyone responds differently ... i got lucky... which means i ate less and drank shots of macadamia oil to make up for the calories... haha 300ml is 220cal.. and its packed full of omegas!!!

keep us posted on your training... post up pics :p " if your brave enough lol... "

cheers

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
So, how does a ~6' male who weighs a poofteenth over 60kg put on weight?

I have a gym membership starting this week and want to get my weight up to 75 odd kilograms.

Keep in mind, for the last 23 years, I've eaten anything fatty or healthy and it has no effect on my weight.
As Mel said, you're what's known as a 'hard gainer' - that is, it's difficult for you to gain weight. You have an extremely fast metabolism and your body 'type' is ectomorphic. As I said in my previous post on diet, you have to drastically increase your complex carbohydrate intake. Mel's correct about the exercise - if you don't provide your body with adequate nutrition, no matter how much you work out your body will be unable to build muscle.

Increasing your daily caloric intake by 1000 or 2000 calories per day isn't a bad idea, but you will have to do a certain amount of planning and tracking - as much as I hate the idea of turning your life into a strict accounting regimen, for people like you there really is no alternative if you want to do it right. Once you have a good idea how much food is adequate for your body and your level of exercise, then you don't have to do nearly as much planning or record keeping, as you'll know it by then. But until that point, while you're trying to figure your own body out, without adequate planning and records you're just shooting in the dark and it will take far, far longer for you to see results.

On the exercise front, don't do ANY cardio. Not until you reach a point where you've achieved the size gains you're happy with and you want to cut back. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to throw some cardio in for a couple of weeks just to break things up if you've been on mass gain for a long time (like two or three months), but basically you need to get your body building muscle, and cardio (especially for someone with your metabolism) will do the exact opposite.

I'm working on a post that covers some exercise basics, so look out for that. But in the mean time, start eating - six times a day if you can manage it, maybe 800 calories a meal or more. But as I said, you'll have to plan your meals and then document what you ate, how much, your weight and body fat percentage from week to week (there's no point going day to day as it doesn't give your body enough time to adjust).

Oh, for those interested in keeping track of their progress, you should really have a set of fat callipers - BMI is an utterly useless metric, but body fat percentage is a very useful stat to keep track of. When I say I'm 6'1" and used to weigh 95kgs with 7% body fat, that gives you a pretty good idea where I was at. Just three months before I was 84kgs and 19% body fat! Sly if your body fat is already around 10% you actually want to INCREASE it while you're putting on size - as long as you don't go over 20% that's pretty much on-track to provide your body with adequate nutrition to sustain maximum growth and results from your training.

Finally, please understand that gaining muscle is a VERY slow process if you've never done it before. It's so slow in fact that on a week-to-week basis, scientific analysis would determine the level of change insignificant. It's only over two to three month periods where you can look back and say, wow, I CAN really see the difference! Motivation is the key to success with fitness, and a big part of that is not getting disheartened when you don't see massive changes overnight, because it will NEVER happen like that (especially for someone like you).

The only caveat to that is people who have either previously had a lot of muscle or fat. The biggest inhibitor to muscle growth is the fascia, which is like a sheath that tightly wraps each muscle group. The fascia is made of the same cells as tendons, so it's flexible to a degree but very strong. In order to increase the bulk of your muscle fibres, you must stretch the fascia or there'll be no room. This is why increasing muscle size takes so long the first time - this stretching of the fascia. Fortunately, once it's been stretched, it doesn't readily return to it's original size, so if you get sick or can't work out for a couple of years and lose most of your size, you can get back in less than half the time it took you the first time (sometimes you can do in as little as three or four months what originally took several years). When you compound the problem of fascia stretching with the advanced metabolism of ectomorphs, you see very slow results indeed.

But plenty of ectomorphs have successfully gained weight (and even become competitive body builders), and once you're there it is easier to remain cut as well as big than for others who gain weight more easily, so once you get to your ideal size, you actually have a huge advantage!

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Wow, big post. Thanks guys.

Working out calorie intake and maintaining it will be the hardest, and probably most expensive part.

Cardio is a little hard not to do. I play indoor soccer every wednesday, and really don't want to give it up. Is there a way of over feeding my body or something so that the cardio doesn't detract from the building?

Because I've never really looked into it either, how much food is 800 calories worth? Which basic foods provide the highest calorie intake? I've heard lots of chicken, pasta and potatos are good when training? Could be wrong.

Trev, In high school, 6 years ago now, I had very very little body fat. Below 6% I THINK. I don't think much has changed here. I'll have to get a full body photo to show you guys. Where can one get a pair of fat calipers?

EDIT:

Here you go. Skinny me :p I've always been toned with definition. Just want some more bulk to go under the definition...

EDIT: EDIT: Damn I have hairy legs... hahahaha

EDIT: EDIT: EDIT: Fcuk you all :p

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
cateye.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
This is an interesting thread going by the replies I assume we will have a new section for it before too long. Or have the title changed. I am someone who keeps thinking about the whole exercise thing but then stalls when it comes to doing it, I have a lot of trouble finding the time to do it. I think my best plan of attack is going to be a set of head phones and a series of Top Gear to watch while using the treadmill at home. I lost some weight a little while back but really don't want to lower my weight now, I just need to alter my muscle to fat ratio. I am 6' and weigh about 85kg which is an ideal weight as it puts me right on the weight limit for my go karting. Any less and I have to add lead to the kart, any more is just a penalty to carry around the track. I think increasing my overall fitness and muscle tone would prove to be very useful on race days not to mention the health benefits. Good thread enjoying the reading, love the cat pic :)

G

Unregistered
woah.. ^^^ looks like i missed something here... lol.... ive been away for a week overseas ... sly you posted a pic :) good on you... but you took it down ??

chicken is great and dont rule out your fish as well.... again as trev mentioned you will have to do a lot of experimenting to see what will work for you...

as a suggestion ... stick to wholegrains as much as you can... (oats, brown rice) and even sweet potatoes... a person with a motabolism like yours may find that you can get away with eating the "yummier" stuff and actually benifit from it :)

experiment with your eating... eat a consistent amount for some time say a week... and adjust until you see some movement in either weight, strength or looks....

let us know how you go and if ya get stuck just give us a nudge :)

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I had a pic up, but I think everyone kept focusing on my junk instead of my build... No I wasn't naked hahaha

This week I've started eating more often, and more.

In the past, I'd eat a reasonable brekky, then a big lunch, and big dinner.

So far this week I've averaged 6 or so weekbix with/out banana for breakfast, tuna sandwich for a snack, then a can of baked beans with two slices of bread for lunch, and left over pasta and sauce later, then when I get home, something else.

I find myself often eating a pack of two minute noodles in there at times, or a 500ish gm can of Heinz chunky soup, or pick at some left over BBQ chicken or similar.

I don't know if there is anything I shouldn't eat at this stage. From what I've gathered, almost anything is likely to help me. Does this sound right?

I'll keep having 5 meals a day for a few weeks and see where it gets me. I need to work out a routine for the gym as well, what muscles to target, and how often etc. I know I have to do big weight with few reps and lots of sets. My shoulders and arms are hurting today from a session I had yesterday morning. I'm also going to eat within 30 mins of finishing a workout, as I'm told this is when your body needs sustenance the most.

I work for a medical wholesaler, so I have some Sustagen Sport at home that I often make banana smoothies with. One or Two bananas, heaps of icecream, milk, and a serve(60g) or two of sustagen. Makes about a a half a litre to a litre.

G

Unregistered
with those meals you are having.. try and make sure you have adequate protien intake with them... have protien with every meal...

-add some eggs to your breakfast

-Double the size of your post workout meal :) and try an keep it as clean as possible ( as little oil as possible )

-dont get so confused about suppliments at this stage... really all you NEED is Protien powder ( whatever type should be specific to your goal ) multi vitamin, glutamine :)... otherwise it can get very expensive :)

post up your current routine and may be able to shed light on some aspects of your training.. :)

good job bro

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
No set routine yet. I've had one PT session so far, need to learn what to do and how often. From info I have gathered and what my PT has said, I need to target key areas on rotation. Shoulders, back and arms one day, legs another, core another.

Once I have a routine set, I'll post it, unless you have a good suggestion for a skinny guy to bulk up???

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
On topic with the thread, but not the last few posts, I've been reading a really interesting book about GI, carbs, protien etc and how it all metabolises, raises blood sugar levels etc. It is a great resource to understand how it all works and build meals around it for weight loss/healthy eating. It dispels a lot of myths and misunderstandings that I thought were correct! :D

G

Unregistered
Sly ... thus is usally true...but its not the only way about it... may i ask how much time you have to dedicate to your training?? and frequency... and what days a week do you have to train.... ill see what i can pull out of the hat :)

G

Unregistered
Paul... funny you should mention that it dispels myths... as you read on you may find things strenghten all the thins you might have doubted as well :) whats the name of the book... could prove an interesting read ( im a nerd like reading :p ) .... truth is once you understand what the body needs... the practice of giving it the essentials is not that hard at all...

there are some dark arts to GI though... dont always trust the labels on the side of the product... if the truth hit you about it.. you would be shocked...i could get into it.. but its better described through graphs...

Top Bottom