(EOI) Hard intake piping from turbo's to filter

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Im undertaking making up a set of hard pipes to replace the dodgy standard intake piping between the turbos and the pod filter. This is only optional mod if you have completed a battery relocation and if your intercooler piping is not designed to suit the standard air filter location.

Before I write a big spill on what Im doing Ive approached a mate to see if hes interested in doing the welding ect and if hes interested in doing a bulk production for VR4 members, and depending on how many members are interested will depend on whether this goes ahead or not so please let me know as too who is interested in this (price depending of course) :cool: before i release any more info

Cheers

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
sounds like a good idea, but too prevent any forseeable problems like we hav had in other private group buys, may i suggest the following:

-build and photograph a intial design, the same design that the rest of us will be getting
-make the options, specs and final price very clear
-organise postage before you take money/orders from people

after that, go for gold :)

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
I hump you like a horny dog Paulie!! haaaaaay fayyyyyb!!!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
What are you going to do about the air flow meter?

And of course, what Pauly said ;)

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Of course what paulie said but im not going to all that effort if there is not enough interest generated, most people still have a battery under the hood!

For a general idea i can only provide the following pic at this stage

P1000496.jpg

P1000498.jpg

Im pretty much in a nut shell going to be bringing the pipe work from each turbo around to a central location so each pipe is as close to the same length as the other, merging into one pipe then using a reducer so the pipe work coming from the filter can be kept a lil bit bigger, ill be retaining the air flow meter at around this point and placing a straight section heading up to the air filter, ill be using a 90 degree elbow to connect the pod as you can see this on my picture above as this is where ive located it on mt car, im also tossing up with the idea to ditch the 90 degree elbow and put the pod on a 45 degree angle so the piping can be kept shorter and be more direct....not 100% sure at this stage.

Im going to build a replica version out of pvc firstly and at this stage ill take photos and post them up here.

Im undecided whether to use metal bends or silicon bends, i think metal ones to keep the cost down and to reduce the amount of hose clamps required, but it will be sectionalised where required so that its easy to remove when needed.

Id imagine if its kept in sections itll be easier and cheaper to post which will keep that cost down for starters, if i decide to use silicon joiners/bends ect that part could possibly be left up to the individual to source themselves. It depends on the cost of prefabricated metal bends vs silicon hoses.

A side note I wont be taking any money off anyone before ive covered all the options.

Now this project Im going to attempt is not going to happen over night or within a month at this stage as I have other parts on the car that require attention ie 100,000 service....how much spare time i can get to myself (some weeks i work 6 days) and its also going to depend on when my mate is available (ive seen his welds and I think others will be impressed) realistically it is a couple months away....hence the title is (EOI) at this stage....

Im probably going to be using mild steel as opposed to aluminium as for the 2 or so meters required and the 2/3 kg saved i cant justify the extra money IMO, but its not entirely ruled out yet either, also my mate doesnt have a aluminium welder at home (think a TIG is used not sure) only at work so makes that part a bit hard to do too.

Im personally getting mine powder coated that another option available.

That is all for now...:p

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
if he has an arc just get the tig attachment and rent an argon bottle(pretty sure total tools do it/any welding shop)
thats what i will b doing soon once i get my pipe bender to start fabricating

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Awesome thanks ill put that forward to him....although he should already know (perhaps he dont want me to know lol)

George001

Idling at the Lights
First Name
George
Drive
Galant
hey that sounds great i am keen about that mod let me know about price and when u might finish it.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
hey that sounds great i am keen about that mod let me know about price and when u might finish it.

Price is not going to be overly expensive IMO depends how much my mate wants for doing the welds which wouldnt take too much time If say 10 sets were to get made up id imagine we could complete them all within 2 weekends at the very latest

Top Bottom