Evo intercoolers

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
steve, can u put up a pic of it installed but with no bumper?

G

Unregistered
custom piping or stocko stuff?

ps bumper vents look sick

Stock piping, although I swapped to a pre-facelift hotside hardpipe. All up it was $50 for the cooler, $50 for silicone joiners and $20 for the pre-facelift pipe.

G

Unregistered
I got 2 x black 2.5 " 45 deg elbows from these guys: http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/enthaily__W0QQ_armrsZ1 They were really easy to deal with - highly recommend them.

I was able to connect up the drivers side pipe with the 45 deg joiner. To do the passenger side I cut the 90 deg bend from my recently removed facelift hotside hard pipe and cut the other 45 deg silicone joiner in half to make 2 x straight joiners (as it was cheaper to buy 1 x 45 deg rather than two straight joiners). To stop the joiners on this side coming off I welded a small seam at either ends of the 90 deg pipe - that's it!

You could look at a 90 silicone bend on the passenger side, however I reckon they would be too short...

G

Unregistered
Mine is slightly different from Marcs, I ended up getting a 1m length of silicone hose (expensive, but I have other plans with it, plus friends who needed some as well) which I cut into various lengths that I need and as you can see a 45-degree and a 90-degree pipe made up.

mg6447.jpg

mg6448.jpg

Will post a photo with the bumper on later as I ran out of light.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Looks awsome. Keen to see the final result.

Can you take some pictures of the mounting of the cooler please. Top and bottom shots that demonstrate the way you used the mounting brackets.

G

Unregistered
Sorry for the delay Brett.

Just a disclaimer, this is the Evo VI cooler, which has different mounting points to the Evo VII/VIII/IX Intercoolers.

As you can see, this has three mounting brackets:
mg6417q.jpg

Fortunately, these mount points were not too far from the stock mount locations, so it was my goal to try and use brackets to connect these to the Evo Intercooler mounts.

Top (this one was not so much as holding it up, but to stop the cooler moving back and forth and keeping it at a distance so that the crash/impact bar doesn't hit it).
mg6449y.jpg

Bracket nicely concealed:
mg6448.jpg

Drivers Side (Unfortunately the mounting points on the Evo Cooler sit too far back to use the standard mount locations, if you did then the cooler would stick way too far out, so as an alternative I decided to mount it to the brackets that connect to the bars which hold the bottom of the front bar (if that makes sense), they have holes drilled through them already, so it was just a matter of making a bracket to span the gap)
mg6452s.jpg

Passenger side: Unfortunately I didn't get a good shot of this mount, however it is essentially the same as the Drivers Side, except that I didn't use a bracket to connect the IC to the car, the IC mounted directly to the bracket already on the car.

** I know that these might not make any sense, send me a PM if you want better pics/more info **

Finished product:
mg6458.jpg

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Does look good, I'm considering this as an option. If I can find an Evo cooler cheaply enough I should be able to fit it up and get custom hard piping done within my fairly non-existent budget.

G

Unregistered
Thanks guys.

I was hoping it blended in a little more (I suppose that's why I cleaned up the end tanks :p) but when your on the other side of a carpark it does stand out a fair bit, plus I've already had a couple of really odd looks when other people were driving past. However, there is definitely a noticable difference, the car now feels much more urgent, definitely better throttle response. It's great, feels as if it boosts much quicker.

Thought at first that it was a placebo effect, but it accelerates quicker now quite often to be 'in my head'

Tim: That's the only trouble with the Evo IC is sourcing one in good condition. I was fortunate enough to find one quickly here in Perth, but Scott (VR4 WRC) has had a bit of trouble finding one, especially since pricing ranges from $50 for a poor condition V/VI to up to $450 for a new IX one. In regards to the piping, that's what I've done, I have a mate who's a mechanical fitter and can get the parts for next to nothing so it was easy knocking up the pipes, looking at doing the rest of the piping soon.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Cheers for the detailed pics and explanation! I'm definitely going down this path.

Wow! it looks great! You've gotta be happy with that!

Sorry for the delay Brett.

Just a disclaimer, this is the Evo VI cooler, which has different mounting points to the Evo VII/VIII/IX Intercoolers.

As you can see, this has three mounting brackets:

Fortunately, these mount points were not too far from the stock mount locations, so it was my goal to try and use brackets to connect these to the Evo Intercooler mounts.

Top (this one was not so much as holding it up, but to stop the cooler moving back and forth and keeping it at a distance so that the crash/impact bar doesn't hit it).

Bracket nicely concealed:

Drivers Side (Unfortunately the mounting points on the Evo Cooler sit too far back to use the standard mount locations, if you did then the cooler would stick way too far out, so as an alternative I decided to mount it to the brackets that connect to the bars which hold the bottom of the front bar (if that makes sense), they have holes drilled through them already, so it was just a matter of making a bracket to span the gap)

Passenger side: Unfortunately I didn't get a good shot of this mount, however it is essentially the same as the Drivers Side, except that I didn't use a bracket to connect the IC to the car, the IC mounted directly to the bracket already on the car.

** I know that these might not make any sense, send me a PM if you want better pics/more info **

Finished product:

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
plus I've already had a couple of really odd looks when other people were driving past.

Wouldn't that happen to you ALL the time Steve?

Looks a treat mate, as if your car could look any better....
I am sure it would make a difference as they are a very well designed cooler.

G

Unregistered
Sorry guys - I didn't get a chance on the weekend. I'll take some soon though!

Also I must say well done to Stephen! I very professional job, much better than my backyard one.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
No promises here, but would anyone be interested in a full hard piping kit (aluminium pipes to replace all the stock soft rubbish) to suit an Evo cooler? I'm guessing at a price of around $4-500, plus cooler.

G

Unregistered
I can't speak for others but the attraction to the evo cooler was the low cost. If I was going to spend that much I would have gone with Ivan's kit as I reckon this would be better performing overall...

that's my 2c's anyway.

G

Unregistered
$400-$500 plus the cost of the cooler is almost half the price of Ivans kit (link)

Top Bottom